TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start stripping my TW and slowly start making it unique to me. I have a few things in mind already but this is where I get stumped.

What tanks will fit on my bike? Do they just have to clear the frame? Or should I be looking into other components of a tank?
I provided a few samples of what kind of tank Im looking for, so if you can tell me where they got these tanks from even better.
Thanks! Glad to finally be a TW owner

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those xs400/xs250/xs360 tanks will fit a TW with some work. They are one of the most popular tanks Yamaha made and the price will reflect that. Expect to see them for 300-500 bucks in good to great condition. Deals come up every now and then though so its best to look for them all the time.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D
Those xs400/xs250/xs360 tanks will fit a TW with some work. They are one of the most popular tanks Yamaha made and the price will reflect that. Expect to see them for 300-500 bucks in good to great condition. Deals come up every now and then though so its best to look for them all the time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
They will all fit. Some just take a lot of work; and others look like a straw hat on watermelon.

This. The Yamaha XS tanks are quite popular, so you’re probably better off using something different (unless you’re a very patient eBay sniper). The biggest thing to consider when finding a different tank is that you don’t get one super long. It’ll not only look funny, but also push your seating area back out of the suspension sweet spot (granted it’s a TW, lol). You could search for measurements for the XS tanks you like aesthetically, then make sure what you end up with is in the same ballpark. Also make sure the petcock position will clear the frame.

After that its a matter of fitting the front — you may get lucky and all you have to do is resize or purchase new rubber pucks on the frame. But it also may be necessary to move the mounting points back to allow for full turning radiu (so the forks don’t dent the tank). Or I’ve seen some guys purposefully indent the front of the tank before paint to allow steering clearance.

Then you fit the back of the tank. You’ll have to grind or cut off the current thereaded nipple that the OEM tank slides over. You’ll likely have to weld an extension to the frame to accommodate the longer tank. Depending on the tank, you may need to weld a tab on the tank itself. Basically you just need a place to attach the rear of the tank to the frame, to keep it from lifting or sliding back, so you can get creative (I’ve seen zip ties too ;-D). Finally, you may need to pound or hammer the rear inside of the tank to get it to sit low enough for a clean tank/seat junction. YouTube can help there.

Then rust removal and new paint...

Then You can start working on a new seat to fit the new tank. .. Lots of work, but it’s fun and definitely makes a unique looking bike. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yamaha XS Tank

I am doing this exact build on a 2004 TW I picked up a month ago. I will tell you up front it takes a lot of fabrication to get that old XS tank to fit. Not only that but then you need to consider how to do a custom seat and if you will replace or keep the subframe.

The 1976 XS400 tank I am using I got lucky and bought it off eBay for $226 shipped to Idaho in great condition. Most of the ones I see for $2-300 are dented and rusty if they come up.

Modifications needed;
On the TWs including 2018 I assume the rubber pucks are mounted to the frame. The cups are welded to your gas tank. You slide your tank cups into those rubber pucks. WELL, back in the day Yamaha did the exact opposite. The old XS tanks have pucks on the tank with cups on the frame. I had to cut off the pillars (that hold the pucks) on my 2004 frame and then fabricate custom cups and weld those to the frame. Also, the XS tank is longer. I cut the rear pillar, welded a bracket to push the pillar back. I am working on a video on YouTube so you can see this work in detail. Once you get this far you realize that all the mounting hardware is below your junk and have to build a seat around that. I did all this work avoiding modding the tank as I did not want to touch it. Someone could do the exact opposite and not touch their frame and just fabricate the tank. The big issue here is getting the right stance of the tank fastened to the bike.

You can review my build by search for vintlist or looking at “30 day custom TW build” on this part of the forum. My suggestion with a 2018 TW... If you have the tools to do it, by all means it looks awesome but be prepared to be an absurd amount of money into it. I am not done with my build yet and I am almost at the price of a brand new TW and I am doing all the work myself besides painting the tank and upholstery.
Feel free to ask more detailed questions and I would be happy to help.

C6ABF4D7-8AC3-4CCB-B9D6-D9CE35434EC1.jpeg 87069524-20B9-4A6B-B0AC-D6A6A8768C36.jpeg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Detailed Pictures

I thought this would help.

These are the cups mounted inside the TW gas tank.
TW Tank.jpg

Pucks inside the old XS Tank.
Gas Tank Pucks.jpg

Fabricated Cups I had to weld to the frame.
Frame Cups.jpg Frame Cups1.jpg

The custom seal to cover the knuckle.
Tank Seat.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to the forum -Just sent a pm to you. I have a Yamaha xs360 steel tank that I had left over when I sold my TW. Reply to Scotty Brown [email protected] for pictures. Enjoy the best trail bike ever made==

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am doing this exact build on a 2004 TW I picked up a month ago. I will tell you up front it takes a lot of fabrication to get that old XS tank to fit. Not only that but then you need to consider how to do a custom seat and if you will replace or keep the subframe.

View attachment 168522 View attachment 168530
Dang that's starting look real good

1 - 18 of 18 Posts