TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
If this bike starts up and runs, it is easily worth $1,000. I would go to see the bike with $1,200 cash and a way to get the bike home. Point out the fact that it has high mileage (for a TW) and may need engine and carb work. Start by offering $800 and be willing to negotiate from there to whatever you would be willing to pay, up to a max of $1,200. Good luck!

·
Registered
226 Posts
That bike has ten thousand miles on it. I'd pass. I disagree with the seller's sales pitch that it's worth $2800 fixed up. I'd never pay that much for a high-mileage TW.

I'll bet he won't come down much on the price. He obviously already thinks it's worth more than it is. ...Worth a try though. Making a low offer is free - you have zero to lose.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. 2 days ago he was at 1800. Not many Tdub enthusiasts around here like me. I figure the exaust and wheels and tires would be worth 500 just so I can swap out on my bike. But youre right, that is high miles. Especially in boring Florida.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't see how you could go wrong for $1000 - $1200 if it cranks and ticks. And it comes with a Trump sticker to boot!
If only ridden for about 5 of the years, averages out to less than 40 miles a week. And it already comes with a Trump sticker!
10,000 doesn't sound like very many miles to me when you include the historical ride it took.
"The Liberals are coming, The Liberals are coming!" Does Paul's Lantern come with it?
Sounds like a bargain to me what with the Trump Sticker and Southern Florida Heritage behind it.

Looking closer at the pics, I see there is also a Trump sticker included. I say go for it!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd go look at it, but I'd question why he hasn't done a valve adjustment, and I'd also be cautious about potential damage if he's ridden it that way. Purchasing a new top end could blow that deal in a hurry, and you'd still have a bike with 10k miles.

I wouldn't be at all concerned about the fuel leak.

I'd also be concerned about that Trump label hiding some deeper flaws that could cause you regrets in the future. It would be bad if it was a coverup of more serious issues. How ironic would that be?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
A runner with a title and a disc brake at 1500 obo? I’d go take a look. I agree with all the advice above regarding what to offer.

When you inspect it, don’t run it too long if you hear loud valves. If that and the carb are the only problems, it shouldn’t be too expensive to get running well.

Sounds like you already have one. That comes in handy when troubleshooting problems as you can swap parts over to find the problem and rule things out. If yours is a 2001+ model, most parts should be interchangeable.

Regarding the fuel leak, most of mine have come from the petcock.

Most sellers would be ok with pulling the valve covers to make sure a nut hasn’t backed off or some other obvious damage. Maybe just ask before you go to see it.

Even with high miles, that bike is a good deal provided the inspection goes well.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Everyone has an opinion, so mine is $1k-$1200 if it runs. I think that is a no loss number no matter how you slice it if it runs at all. Good luck with whatever you choose to do and keep us posted.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I wouldn't touch this bike. I do not like the sales pitch. Who cares about NADA. The bike is worth what somebody will pay. If NADA matters to someone they will look it up on their own, and again so what. If the seller knows a dealer well enough to know what the dealer would sell it for then he knows a dealer well enough to find out what is wrong with the bike and what it will cost to fix it. Why is it relevant what they sell for new when your bike has over 10k on it and a valve issue. The tires are a joke, but again, that bike has seen a dealer before. I don't like the bike or the pitch. That bike is a $500.00 project for a wrench who wants an extra bike around. TW's are not hard to find with low mileage and low dollars. Someone else's junk is worth $500.00 to me with a title and a little driving involved. This bike is over pitched junk.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
10k miles its not something I'd want for resale even though it's still a $2200 to $2500 TW all day long if running properly, I do agree around $1000 theres solid value in all the parts even if the motor grenades you are safe. $1500 I probably wouldn't pay because they are hard to sell not running in tip top shape most TW buyers don't buy them because they want to work on them they buy them hoping to ride them and have no mechanical trouble

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I wouldn't touch this bike. I do not like the sales pitch. Who cares about NADA. The bike is worth what somebody will pay. If NADA matters to someone they will look it up on their own, and again so what. If the seller knows a dealer well enough to know what the dealer would sell it for then he knows a dealer well enough to find out what is wrong with the bike and what it will cost to fix it. Why is it relevant what they sell for new when your bike has over 10k on it and a valve issue. The tires are a joke, but again, that bike has seen a dealer before. I don't like the bike or the pitch. That bike is a $500.00 project for a wrench who wants an extra bike around. TW's are not hard to find with low mileage and low dollars. Someone else's junk is with $500.00 to me with a title and a little driving involved. This bike is over pitched junk.
lol whenever I heard NADA or Kelley Book prices I tell them they need to either go buy at the blue book store or in this case go sell it at the blue book store and tell me how that goes lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought my 01 (with a title) with less than 2k miles on it for $1000 and it too had a bad ticking noise on the top end. I have worked on motorcycles for about 35 years and I could tell someone had "adjusted" the valves without it being at TDC on compression when I started it at the sellers place. It had about .080" gap on both valves. The guy gave me 2 brand new valves to go with it that he bought because he thought it was a valve issue but in reality it was a "mechanic" issue. 20 minutes in my garage and it was purring. Runs like a champ. I bought it to fix up and sell but it's too much fun having a second bike as a loaner to friends so I can have someone to ride with.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah - looks like that bike has done around 1600 miles a year for the last six years - must be worn out by now.......

:rolleyes:
OMG !! that's over 30 miles a week !! :tongue9:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My valves have always ticked even perfectly adjusted. It runs great. Even at $1500. I don't think it is a bad deal if you can do any work which is needed. 10,000 miles is low miles unless it was all off road through rough terrain. Since it has street tires it was probably ridden mostly on the street which is much easier on the bike. My bike is now at 46,200 miles with no engine rebuild. The valve job was the major work I did recently. So, if you bought the bike and it is good for at least another 36,000 miles with minor repairs you would be ok. The valves probably need to be correctly adjusted, check the tappet screws and lock nuts to make sure there is no excessive wear on them, the fuel leak at worst could be the float valve leaking, the petcock gasket or a leaking fuel line. Search around and see what deals you can find.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts