TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this TW200 last week. You know how it is with new toys, I've got to go through everything and the owners manual says to remove the screw at the back of the muffler and pull the arrestor out for cleaning. Screw is out but that darn thing seams almost like it's one piece. Tried PB Blaster, letting it run until hot, it won't budge.

Any other tips or tricks?

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Just give up now before you destroy something...

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
Well know for its "reluctance" - hence the use of Dynamite may prove to be the only way you'll shift it.

Littletommy has it about right - just give up now before you break something (sod what the manual says) .........

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Too many horror stories...
I decided to just leave mine alone. If I hear loose parts rattling inside, then I may decide to take a closer look. For now, I will let my high rpms blow the carbon out...

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You guys give up too easy. I got a plan.

....and it doesn't include any explosives.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
You guys give up too easy. I got a plan.

....and it doesn't include any explosives.
:D O we know you will get it off...
It's just a question of with or without damage done to "something".
We're watching :happy1:and interested. Will that be coming off today? :p

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
Well – you could insert a folding grappling hook, tie it to a rope, then tie the rope around a tree.

Leave enough slack on the rope to provide a good “tug” – engage first – and “Cry havoc – and let slip the dogs of war”.

Mind you – the last guy who tried that is still singing soprano ……….

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
... Tried PB Blaster, letting it run until hot, it won't budge.

Any other tips or tricks?
Getting the screw out is usually the HARD part! :D I would use a butane torch to REALLY heat it up right at the raised edge, lots of Blaster but not so much as to start a fire :)o), and some method. like a strap wrench, to apply rotational torque while you use a mallet to whack it side to side. You may need four hands....:p Also, applying PB Blaster to it every evening for several days ahead of this procedure might help.

You may not like what you see once you DO get it off, so maybe the best plan is to ignore it until you get a big hole, then buy a new muffler!;)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm up at camp right now. We left last night. Just got this iPhone hot spot thingy going. Some mods I made yesterday were to opened this little 200 up so it could breath a little better. I opened up the air intake by cutting some slots in the air filter cover and making a little wire frame to hold some nylon over the front of it. It's kind of like one of those pre filter, filters. Full filter is intact and in place. It's hidden by the side cover so it's somewhat protected from the elements. They (you know those guys named "They") make these little round filtered vents for opening up your air box too. It's sort of like those only mine are longer and narrow, between the ridges on the inside of the cover.

Second thing I did is cut off the little limp looking tube that comes out the back end of the muffler/spark arrestor thingy right up by where the bulge is. This opened up the exhaust hole from about a 5/8 inch diameter hole to more than and inch. It is not perceptibly louder. The wife can't tell so that means it's OK. Besides, it was a sick, mocking reminder to me of my manhood. I'll have to wait till we get back home Monday to see if it made any improvements in performance. I made a couple of timed runs down a measured part of our road and I'll run them again to see if it's any faster. I think I do need to re-jet. Hopefully the weather will be the same or close. I recorder temp, humidity and barometric pressure.

Anyways, where am I going with all this?

When I cut the little limpy looking thing off the end of the spark arrestor it's now a straight shot hole into it. I think I can find (or make) some type expanding anchor like you use to bolt stuff into concrete and then use a slide hammer to tap it out. No problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
So – you’ve ruined your snorkel – and started to cut into your muffler (which will have no effect on performance by the way).

I should also add at this point, that the expanding bolt theory will only force the two surfaces together, and with the expanding bolt offering little surface grip ……..

Well – you can see where this is going.

I’m sure someone will be along shortly to offer advice on where to find replacement jets – mufflers etc

happy1.gif

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
When I cut the little limpy looking thing off the end of the spark arrestor it's now a straight shot hole into it. I think I can find (or make) some type expanding anchor like you use to bolt stuff into concrete and then use a slide hammer to tap it out. No problem.
Does altering the muffler ruin it Forest Service Spark Arresting Approval?

You keep pounding on your muffler and it might end up looking like this:
P5011004a.jpg P5011005a.jpg P5011006a.jpg P5011007A.jpg P5011008A.jpg

If you destroy the insert thingy you can buy a new one from Yamaha -- or at least you used to be able to -- and it is a lot cheaper than a muffler.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[SGT. ODDBALL VOICE] Why don't you knock if off with those negativity waves.[/SGT. ODDBALL VOICE]

I just cut the little tube off the back there in your second picture. Results aren't in yet. We'll see. This is not my first motorcycle. I built a couple of race XR400 motors. Basic principles are the same. Yes, JUST open up the exhaust could have little, to none, to negative affect. It could, also, in conjunction with opening up the intake and re-jetting yield some improvements.

Purple:

You remind me of Church Lady from Saturday Night Live. Who said anything about the snorkel? I just cut a couple of slots in the cover, (2JX-14422-00-00 CAP, CLEANER CASE 2 for those challenged in ways of IC motors). A $35.00 part. I'll spill more in beer and Crown Royal this weekend.

Good riding UP here in the UP by the way. Trails are great, not too wet, not too dusty, lots of wild life, ....I'll see if I can't get a couple of crows. Someone will for sure be eating it.

You guys need to step away from the computer and get on your bikes and ride

Reactions: wesk1318

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Take it from me, these boys ride.

The UP is indeed God's country. My wife is a native (Negaunee).

If God is willing and things go as planned I will be moving the Cabin on Wheels to Drummond Island in June and then spending an aggregated 6 or 7 weeks there as the year unfolds.

You shouldn't get your panties in a wad over the comments, they are joshing you. Most have had extra-negative experiences with removing that derned spark arrestor. Some of these folks have a special brand of humor that will grow on you with time, sip your crown, drink your beer and enjoy the show. FYI, Indiana actually has a designated season on crows.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I solved my problem by stripping the head on the screw that holds it in. Since it's a recessed area and can't get a vice grip on it, there is no way it's gonna come out, or off now!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts