TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

I have obtained a 1988 engine with 4,297 miles in order to get my 1987 back on the road. What must I do to accomplish this engine swap? I understand the 1987 model has it's own unique CDI - and they often have issues. Is a new CDI from member tombauer my best option? I was hoping to just swap the left engine cover and stator in order to keep my factory CDI, but these engines have different stators and flywheels... Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Hi Dave,

-If you swap the 1987 flywheel and stator/left side engine cover onto the 1988 engine, it will then plug and play into your 1987 frame and wiring harness (assuming that your existing 1987 CDI is functional).

-If you want to use the complete 1988 engine in your 1987 bike, then you will need the 1988 (or equivalent) CDI and will also likely need to make an unknown number of electrical component/connector changes.

The first option is your best choice, in my opinion.

Brian

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian,

The 88's side cover is actually cracked slightly anyway, so I will go ahead and work on pulling the flywheel next. I have no reason to suspect a bad CDI at this point...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered a flywheel puller in order to prevent my rear axle bolt from possibly getting trashed removing two flywheels. And a new cover gasket, as well. I have been reading all of the flywheel related posts and just wanted to once again thank this forum for the wealth of knowledge provided here! I do have a quick question. Can I remove the flywheel on an un-mounted engine if a put it in gear and use an impact gun?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BACK ON THE ROAD!!! My electric impact driver wasn't up to the job so I had to run to O'rielly's and grab a pneumatic unit yesterday. Hell, I needed one anyway! I re-finished the 1987 engine cover and swapped it and the flywheel onto the '88 engine. The '88 flywheel gave me no trouble at all and went right on the old engine. The '87 flywheel, however, had one dowel pin that fell out about 40 times before I got it on the crankshaft right! Bike started right up and runs much, much better than before. Thanks again! Pic of my "shop"below....
IMG_20190712_182333.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts