TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us will eventually need some form of corrective eye glasses as we age. I began with the cheap cheater glasses we can buy at drug stores for $9.99 in different strengths like 1.50, 1.75 and right up to 3.0 power. In most cases these work great if you get the right strength.

I wear bifocals now which also work great because each eye is a little different. Where I am having an issue is with the focal point. That is the distance my face has to be from the object I am looking at and how the eye doctor sets it. Right now while typing I measure my focal point at 16 inches and my current prescription glasses give me perfect clarity. Sadly though, while sitting at the computer the 16 inch focal point forces me to hunch closer and my back and neck don't like me hunching. I would be much better off if the focal point was set at 24 inches so I could sit up straight and still see clearly. Sometimes working on a TW when I need to see clearly I just can't get to that exact 16 inch spot and worse yet I must have my head tilted so I can look through the bottom bifocal portion of the lens. That sucks.

I see now on TV that there are a few different adjustable focus types of eye glasses, Adlens and Dial a Vision to name a couple. These have a dial and a dual lens so you can dial in your preferred focal point for what you are doing. Seems like a great idea but I think most of this stuff "As Seen On TV" is usually nothing but expensive junk and sure to break with little use. I sure would like to have a pair of glasses set just right for when I am computing and for when I am working on my bike but this would require a few different pairs depending on what I am doing. Back to the adjustable focus dial a vision types. Has anyone actually tried these as seen on TV ones? If so have you found them to work and are they decent quality that could actually last a while if not mistreated?

For those who are beginning to need eye glasses try to make sure when you go for the exam and do buy a prescription set that you have the focal point adjusted for your best distance. Usually the eye doctor says to hold a book in your hands at the most comfortable distance and that is where he sets the focal point. Mine is at 16 inches for when I read a book but that is way too close for typing on the computer when I sit up straight. I have tried the Tri focal types and progressive lens ones but they drove me crazy always having to have my head in the correct tilt and my eyes looking through the right portion.

When I joined the USN back in 1970 I had what they considered perfect vision. 20/20 is good but I had 20/15 which is even better. Right around age 50 things started going south and I started needing magnifiers. Now at 65 I need a few different pairs set for various focal points or a pair I can keep close that are adjustable. Consider this. Say you want to have a GPS unit mounted on your TW handle bars. Measure the distance from the screen up to your eyes when you are sitting in your normal driving position and get your glasses set for that distance once you go to a bifocal set. I have to crouch forward to see the screen clearly and tilt my head up to look through the bottom lens. It might be a good idea to just bite the bullet when you do get your glasses and buy two pairs with different focal points, one for riding and computing and the other for every day regular wear.

I hope someone here has tried the adjustable ones and can offer some advice.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Funny thing happened less than a week ago. I pretty much knew this but the eye doctor told me I needed bifocals! Oh the humanity. Does this mean I am getting old? Anyway I ordered up my very first pair of progressive lenses. Just because I KNOW that age is taking it's toll on me doesn't mean everyone has to know:D I can see lasik surgery in my future if it will work for my needs. Have you looked into lasik Gary?

Tom

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I had to buy my first set of progressive lenses this year. They took a while to get used to, and your peripheral vision is reduced BUT, these are the best. You can easily focus on whatever you need to simply by nodding your head up or down. I didn't need bifocals, I needed all of the prescription removed from the portion of the lenses I use for close up work and reading.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I work with a computer all day and use my hands and need my focal point to be at arm's length.
Ask your eye doctor, or glasses maker, to make you a set of progressive lens. They have many focal points and supposedly your eyes and brain get used to them. I had a hard time with them and now I use a pair of bifocals with long distant viewing on top and a larger than normal area of maybe 6-12" of close viewing. I also have another pair with one distance focal point, which is about 24-36" I use when I'm on the computer all day.
LASIK won't help your close vision. That is a muscle issue. And there is an operation that tightens it back up but usually it will weaken up again over time.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny thing happened less than a week ago. I pretty much knew this but the eye doctor told me I needed bifocals! Oh the humanity. Does this mean I am getting old? Anyway I ordered up my very first pair of progressive lenses. Just because I KNOW that age is taking it's toll on me doesn't mean everyone has to know:D I can see lasik surgery in my future if it will work for my needs. Have you looked into lasik Gary?

Tom
UH, NO! I look at a scalpel and think about getting my eye balls getting slashed with one and that is the last thing I think I would ever do.

In your line of work you will soon know exactly what I am talking about with standard eye glasses.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The adjustable glasses work just like a pair of binoculars. You adjust the two lenses to be clear at what ever distance you are trying to see clearly. Like I said, great idea but are there any high quality ones other than the crap seen on TV?

I have a perfectly nice pair of progressive glasses but I just can't stand wearing them. Going down a set of stairs and I about want to kill myself trying to see where to step. I had a headache the entire few days I wore them and went back to my old set.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
779 Posts
I got some sprecific computer glasses from Costco (precription). They don't work for distasnce, but they are great for close and mid, with very good periphial vision too. They are definetly worthwhile to keep at the desk and as a side bonus, work way better upide down when wrenching on a car or motorcyclye than full proggressives too!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I got my progressive lenses (Varilux) maybe 15-16 years ago and it took me maybe 10 minutes to get used to them. After that there was nothing to get used to, it's automatic. Just look at whatever you want, near or far, and it's always in focus. So much incredibly better than multiple sets of glasses, bifocals, trifocals - all you do is put them on in the morning and take them off at night. Mine are lightweight metal frames, the lenses are impact and scratch resistant plastic, transitions (darken on exposure to UV sunlight) and I don't even realize that I am wearing them.
And the problem with myopia or presbyopia or astigmatism that Lasik attempts to correct is not a muscle issue, it is a stiffening or hardening of the lens which makes it difficult to reshape to adjust it's focal length. Lasik resurfaces the cornea using a laser beam to correct the lens' focal length.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've worn glasses for over 50 yrs. I have progressive lenses also and have no problem focusing at any distance except when working on something up close where I have to tilt my head a certain way where I can't look through the proper part of the lens. This is usually working on the underneath side of a motorcycle or welding. Then I use one of the cheap up close eyeglasses from the grocery store which work fine in those instances.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Gary; it is very problematic. Eye (I) would say a solution is to have sets of drug store cheaters set up for the dominant eye. One adjusted for, and kept at, the computer. And the other adjusted for, and kept on, the bike.

For the computer: if you buy ones that you can pop the lenses out; buy an identical second set adjusted for the weak eye and make one complete set for it. Or eye doc can make you a set for computer (more $$$).

For working on the bike: find a sturdy pair to keep on the bike for dominant eye at preferred working distance. If you can pop the lenses out; for the weak eye select another distance than the dominant eye (like super close) and close the dominant eye when using it.

I wish there was a perfect solution. In the past I have tried "mono-vision" with my left lens set up for distance and my right lens set up as a close up compromise between reading and handgun sight distances. Currently I have my left lens set as bifocal; but the right lens is a "double D". The bottom two thirds is the same as my other bi-focal - but - the top section is set up for my handgun sight distance. A slight dip of the head puts them in perfect focus; as opposed to single vision (distance only), or bi-focal and progressive (where you have to tilt your head awkwardly up). "Double D" are normally a set up for people that have to do close-up work overhead like an electrician.

My biggest problem is I don't like wearing glasses. I've done the eye surgery but your eyes still continue to change and eventually you are back to the same situation. Wish you luck.

·
Banned
441 Posts
I have progressive glasses but rarely wear them, I have many sets from Costco 100 200 and 300 I have glasses all over the house and vehicles one of the first things I did was put three pairs in my new truck I use 100 for the computer and 200 for all around use and 300 for small print and working on bikes and low light. I am fighting it but might start wearing my progressive glasses.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Born in Dec. 1949. You're just a pup. Glasses (bi-focals) are ordered. I've noticed in the last year or so, my eyes ain't what they used to be. lol Getting old ain't for sissies.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been using monovision contact lenses for about 15 years (I am age 72 now), the disposable gas permeable daily wear type, although I tend to leave them in for longer periods. Previously I had regular prescription bifocal glasses for about 5 years but the hassle of keeping them clean, plus avoiding falling off or damaging while working I seldom wore them at all.

For reading in low light situations I sometimes slip on drugstore +2.50 or +3.00 reading glasses but otherwise I am able to see both close up and distance without any problem with just the contacts. Night glare is not a problem.

My wife has more serious issues; a detached retina in one eye and macular degenration in both. The MD has progressed to the wet or end stage and she is now receiving monthly Avastin injections, which promise only to stabilize the MD, which is irreversible. We are exploring a telescopic lens implant for the eye without the detached retina. Has anyone had any experience with that?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
The adjustable glasses work just like a pair of binoculars. You adjust the two lenses to be clear at what ever distance you are trying to see clearly. Like I said, great idea but are there any high quality ones other than the crap seen on TV?

I have a perfectly nice pair of progressive glasses but I just can't stand wearing them. Going down a set of stairs and I about want to kill myself trying to see where to step. I had a headache the entire few days I wore them and went back to my old set.

GaryL
Gary, I had the same issues with the progressives, I would only wear them at work for the first few months. I finally sucked it up and made myself get used to them. In all honesty, they do still get me once in a while when walking, especially on stairs, but now I couldn't live without them. Give them a chance, it took me around three months or so before I was completely comfortable with them.

FWIW, I couldn't imagine wearing a pair of glasses I had to adjust like binoculars, that would derive me bat shit crazy.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
398 Posts
Here is my story with glasses. I wear them now for over 50 years. About 9 years ago I went to progressive. Just a few weeks ago that pair I bought 9 years ago in Carlsbad, California finally broke. i loved that rim less frame and wanted the same again. But also let my eyes get checked. I knew I needed a new prescription. No problem, got the prescription, hunted down the optometrist in Carlsbad and asked him if he still had the same "frameless frame". Sure enough with emailing photos of the old pair he concluded that those are still made. So far so good, he just needed the old pair to drill the holes in the exact location as I would not travel from the Caribbean to California just to get those frame drilled. I thought, well just FedEx the 9 yer old broken frame. Went to FedEx and that where the sh.. began hitting the fan. Filled out 4 different forms an the glasses went off. Kept tracking the package and it was stuck in Miami with customs. After a few days I was told the US customs requires the original manufacturer's name and address or the MID (manufacturer's Identification Number). Of course I had no idea so the 9 year old broken glasses sat for a week in Miami until I found the persons email (don't ask me how I found it) and wrote her a not very nice email and told her to just throw them in the garbage as other countries also make glasses. My email included profanity as I was angry!!! Guess what, the very next day the package was processed and the following day it arrived where it should have been since a week!!! The new set are currently manufactured while I wear my old, old glasses and have a constant headache. Can't wait to get the new pair on my nose!!

Going back to progressive lenses. I feel with everybody who has difficulties in the beginning. Same with me. It took me about a week to get used to them but I do miss them tremendously

1 - 20 of 26 Posts