TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can not break the front downtube top caps loose. using a 19mm socket and a 14inch heavy duty craftsman wrench. Its not reverse thread is it? Downtubes still on the bike. Any suggestions. (2006 no corrosion visible)

Dusty

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
My caps were not reverse thread. Just normal thread. Mine too were difficult to remove. One time I hit the end of the ratchet handle with a hammer to loosen the fork caps, and you can see there might be a problem with that. Last time I used an electric impact wrench which was much safer and did the job real quick. But yes they are pretty tight. O-Ring gasket and fork spring tension probably have something to do with it being snug.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure you loosen the top pinch bolts first. My top cap bolts were tight, but it didn't take too much effort to loosen.

That was it. Got it loose. Wow, that should have beeen obvious! Thanks for the quick repy!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I've had to lower the triple about 2 inches below the cap, tighten the bolts, then use a 1/2-inch Craftsman hand impact and impact socket to break fork caps loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts