TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my TW was running perfect. I have a fairly new lithium battery, around 8 months old. I haven't ridden in a while, but start and run the bike often, maybe just ride my neighborhood. Well, for no reason at all, my battery started dying. Id charge it, it would die again overnight. Then, it seemed my battery wouldn't charge at all because my headlight didn't show light, and nothing worked. So, I bought a new battery, put it in, and nothing.

Then I smartened up and checked the fuse. It was blown. Should have checked it before buying a new battery, but oh well. So I put in a new fuse. It blew instantly. Now, I'm lost. Can anyone guide me what to check next. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Is it the old tube style fuse or newer blade style? When my 89 was blowing fuses, I traced it to the regulator/rectifier. Replaced it and no more blown fuses.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
You have a short circuit somewhere causing battery power to go straight to ground.
One can look visually for anything obviously shorted out like broken wires before having to trace down the short.
If nothing obvious like a pinched tail light lead between seat and frame then follow the following:
Disconnect battery positive terminal.
Take multimeter and measure resistance between that formerly hot battery lead and ground while progressively disconnecting and testing various circuit elements. Eventually disconnecting one will remove the path to ground thus identifying the source of the short circuit. Trace this circuit and repair any faults.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured out my issue and I am even more ignorant than originally thought. My new battery looks the same, but the positive and negative are in the opposite place as on the other one. I had the battery wires wrong.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I figured out my issue and I am even more ignorant than originally thought. My new battery looks the same, but the positive and negative are in the opposite place as on the other one. I had the battery wires wrong.
Glad you got it all figured out and, it wasn't a hard fix. And, most important, you did NO DAMAGE by installing the battery wires(I'm assuming cables) incorrectly. Years and years ago, when a person would install a battery backwards, there would be a few things fried and some expensive repairs. Good thing the folks that design now-a-days stuff thinks about that.
Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts