TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm nearing completion on my 225 haul ass 6 speed project, and the time has come to choose gearing. I am happy with the first gear on my current stock setup so my thoughts are as follows. the primary reduction of the 200 and the 225 are the same so its in the secondary/ transmission and the final reduction of the bike. according the the chart in the 225 notes the tw200 1st reduction is 2.833 plus the stock final of (14/50) 3.571 ending with 6.404 total. So my thought is 6.404 less the 1st ratio of the 225 or 3.090 equaling 3.314 is what Im after for a final reduction. So here are a couple options

15/50=3.33
14/48=3.43

Im leaning towards the 15/50 as I have a pretty new stock 50 out back. Has anyone had any ill effects or running the larger 15 up front. Any possible clearance issues with the case? Am I completely bonkers with my math? thanks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ive ran a 15 42 for a while and had no issues with it other than it was useless offroad. Was waiting for different gearing to arrive and happened to have those sprockets available.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tips tricks thoughts................

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
15/50 has been used many times with the TW. It should be easier on the chain and the sprockets, thus giving a longer life span to each if you maintain the chain.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You have not provided any info on intended usage...off or on road or both. That would help.

I am also trying to figure out how to gear my 6 speed as well. I ride mostly off road and for now I am using the stock gearing. The problem is 1st gear is now a little too low for our hill climbs and 2nd is a tad too tall.... Ideally I would add 3 teeth to the rear sprocket and make second gear my main hill climbing gear, but top gear cruising would suffer on road. Or I could drop 3 teeth on the rear and raise 1st gear enough to be my hill climber, on road cruising would be great but I would lose my super low creeper 1st gear. And I suspect !st would still be a little low for climbing. The problem is many of our hill climbs are short and steep and require momentum at the bottom and grunt at the top. We take these at full throttle and the motor revved out.... Too tall a gear bogs near the top and requires a lot of fancy clutch work....too low a gear and no momentum and then we lose traction and all manner of chaos ensues.... Any ideas here?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say that I spend 50% of the time on road 30% gravel road and 20% WFO off road. Im pretty happy with the current 1st. I find the 4-5 change pretty bad. always feel like i want a 4.5. I think with the 15 I will have just that and the new first will be pretty close to current.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts