TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am new on the forum, and I'm educating myself while looking to buy my first Tw.
I found one nearby that the seller claims is a 2003, but it has silver rims and a drum brake on the front wheel. I've learned on this forum that those are not 2003 features. Does anyone see other odd things on this bike?
Thanks in advance for any interesting comments!

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Welcome to the forum Spaceman!

Here's a 2003 that I picked up just last weekend for comparison.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Here's what I can tell from your picture. The rear turn signals and mirrors are missing. As you mentioned, the wheels are silver and not black and it has a drum brake front end (wheel and lower fork legs, minimum) from a 1987-2000 model year TW. I don't know if that is a showstopper for you, but you should at least use it as a negotiating point and knock off at least $400 from the asking price.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TW-Brian, thanks for the welcome. You got a nice looking bike. Thanks for the picture.

I figured mirrors and lights are easy fixes. The wheels, however, made me think the bike was older with 2003 plastics... T Dubble D's is right, I should just ask for the VIN and decode it. Clearly I have a few more questions to ask the seller!

Is the front drum a big performance drop for riding on the street? And how did you arrive at the $400 figure?
Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Keep us updated, I'm interested what the deal is. Seller don't wanna give the vin they're in on it... walk away. If they do, they mighta got duped when they bought it. Gotta do your research.👍

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
T Dubble D's, the bike has been marked Sold. It had no title and the buyer had suggested using the Vermont loophole. Too much bother for me. Someone probably bought it to ride offroad.

TW-Brian thanks, that's what I assumed you meant but $400 seemed a bit low.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
just FYI.... TW-Brian probably bought his bike for $400... he is the craigslist t-dub whisperer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts