TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a noob when it comes to Yamaha's, TW's and motorcycle repair in general. I just purchased an '87 TW and I am in the process of putting it back together. I needed to buy a new tank and currently have the carb soaking. I am beginning to realize that I will die by nickel and dime items. For instance I don't have bolts for the new fuel cock soon to be purchased (online sales don't show bolts), I need to replace the fuel line and I don't have front mounting bolts for the gas tank. Does anyone have simple A-ha solutions to these simple and necessary fixes? Your wisdom and any expertise offered is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Palmaenut

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new/old bike!

A trip to your local hardware store should yield most replacement hardware that you will need and also a short length of fuel line. The front of the stock tank rests on round rubber pucks that could probably be fabricated with a hole saw and a hockey puck

·
Super Moderator
18,171 Posts
Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
What TWBrian said. And welcome to the nuthouse. You'll love your '87 TW. You'll also love this forum. Hope you get 'er going soon. Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hey Ken in Moyock. I don't know where Moyock is. My '87 is nothing special. Pretty much just a stock '87 with upgraded footpegs. I also have a '99 with clark tank, upgraded footpegs, Moose Racing bars, etc. The PO said he had gone through forks and a few other things, but I think the '87 has a bit more power and handles better than the '99. I have taught a handful of people how to ride on my TW's. I have a 2.5 acre lot and I ride on my back acre or so. I have taught just the bare basics, not street or track riding. I ride my bikes to work some, but don't have a place to ride off road. Need to work on that. There is lots of controversy over the desirability of the '87 TW, as they have had cdi issues, and the wiring is different than all the others. I haven't had any problems with mine, so I guess I'm blind to the issues others have had. I paid about 1300 bucks for mine, and thought I got a good deal. lol Not so much, as I see lots of folks have done much better. All in all, my TW's owe me nothing, as I have gotten that much pleasure out of them both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have an update on my '87 TW. It tool me a while to figure out the issues I had getting this bike to run. With the help of neighbors, long distance relatives and advice from this forum I figured my running issue was a bad coil/spark plug wire. I appears that the previous owner had it sitting a long time and some little critters got to nibbling on wires, especially the spark plug wire. With a new $10 coil/wire I had this tired old bike running smooth. I am so excited that I either fire it up or ride it everyday. I have yet to get my motorcycle endorsement but that will soon change. I also aspire to clean up and refurbish the Dub like I've seen on The Tube. I am gleaning a lot of info from just the few posts I've read so far. I really appreciate the knowledge a forum like this provides!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts