TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
That is a lot of bugs! No wonder the caribou migrate in big herds; if you are going to stir up a thousand or so mosquitos for every square yard you travel you as well have some neighbors to help share and absorb the bites.:p

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Wonder if Florida could give them a run for the title? I've never seen so many different types as down here. From super small to big enough that if a couple of them ganged up they might be able to carry off a small adult!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I worked in Bethel for a couple years....they are almost thick enough to block out the sun. Just one reason of many to never go west of the Alaska Range

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
To many bugs, to damn cold and not enough sunlight for me. I love Maryland/WV and the East Coast south from Cape May NJ to Key West FL

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
To many bugs, to damn cold and not enough sunlight for me. I love Maryland/WV and the East Coast south from Cape May NJ to Key West FL
Just so you know, there are no bugs when in winter and of course a lot of darkness in winter, time to play with the wife. Summer there is no dark. You will be fishing and look at your watch and realize, oh my, I have to be to work in 2hrs after being up "all night". By wearing a head net over your broad brimmed hat and cover your skin you are good to go. It is different, but you can't beat the scenery and the animals that are there. Just one thing to remember,you are on the menu while out in the bush. Pack a decent cannon with you at all times.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We are all part of the food chain... either dead or alive. I can verify that the bugs in Alaska are horrific at times and not just mosquitoes... black flies can be even worse and White Socks are teeth with wings...

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
The mosquitos can adversly affect your judgement. On a small island in the Southeast my brother hiking right behind me kind of lost it and discharged his shotgun way too close to my ear. Sure the "oo" buckshot blew some of the bloodsucking cloud but it sure caught me by surprise, I figured he saw a charging kodiac so I was a bit upset at the ringing ears and false alarm.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The mosquito is the Alaska State Bird.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts