TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden large displacement Japanese bikes for many years. I put over 20,000 miles on a Suzuki GS 1100G with a Pacifico fairing, traded it for a BMN R80 GS (big mistake!) then sold the BMW and bought a red Kawasaki Concours. I covered over 30,000 miles on that in less than two years. Fast forward: while I was living in Tucson, I rode a KLR 650, maybe the best single bike to own. Sold that. Later picked up a Honda NT 650 Hawk. Got hit head on by a speeding truck near Sedona. Haven't owned, or even though about owning, a bike since. In March of 2009, I bought a new Yamaha C3 scooter for commuting. It's been great fun! But now I want to move up. To what, I ask myself. Another KLR 650? Possible, but I'm not sure I want that much bike. How about the TW 200? Seems like it might be perfect for how I ride now: commuting, the occasional jaunt out into the country to take pictures and in the summer trailering it to Colorado and exploring the high country, especially the San Juans in the SW part of the state.

What do you think? Would a stock TW work for this kind of riding?

Second question: can anyone recommend a dealer in the Michigan area, including Ohio and Indiana, who might be easy to work with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
FWIW, I also own a fully decked out VStrom 1000 along with the wife's Ninja 250. I've been riding the TW everywhere lately. There's something about it that's just fun.

Granted it's the newest bike in the stable and I love to tinker with things, but all in all, I think it really is a neat bike. Would I choose it as my "only" bike...probably not. While it commutes wonderfully, it's not the bike I'd choose for interstate travel and if I really want to enjoy a good roadway, it's a minimum 3 hr ride to get to a corner worth riding. That, and I'm not keen on not being able to pass 6 cars at once on the two lane roads.

Doesn't sound like that's your forte though. So if you don't actually have a "need" for speed, I'd say go for it...it's a hoot!

·
Registered
112 Posts
The TW is a blast to ride up to around 55 mph - past that 200cc just aren't enough. If your commute is mostly in that speed range you will be a big fan. The TW can run 70+ mph but it's not comfortable and there is nothing left which can be important when you're running in traffic.

Try Michigan Yamaha in Owosso, my wife is a financial/managerial consultant who helps them out from time to time. Tell them Carin Weaver recommended that you give them a try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts