TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought these for about $40 liking the coverage between boot and knee, as well as the rigid cup over the knee and the velcro fasteners top and bottom so hinged armor always covers the knee however bent.

I was initially very pleased with the warmth and wind protection afforded at speed in cold temperatures this winter. They also kept my pants drier from mud and water splashes.

However this last weekend I put them to impact test when a branch deflected me into a ditch. I landed hard enough for the perimeter of the rigid cup to dig through the accordion like padding of the knee guard as well as my riding pants cutting into and breaking my skin both above and below the knee itself. Knee is just fine, no blown up patella, pain nor swelling. However thigh and ankle which absorbed the deflected energy are still quite sore to the touch.

Do I call this a favorable review since I ended up with just minor injuries adjacent to the knee? I think so. I fear without the Herobikers I might not be walking today. I would recommend these guards.

Other souvenirs of the spill were a cell phone shaped bruise to the ribs and a mildly sprained and swollen paw.

Wrist was annoyingly painful rest of the trip but was worth enduring since the riding conditions were so excellant....accelerating out of corners was a mix of "Yeah!...Owww!...Yeah!"

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought these for about $40 liking the coverage between boot and knee, as well as the rigid cup over the knee and the velcro fasteners top and bottom so hinged armor always covers the knee however bent.

I was initially very pleased with the warmth and wind protection afforded at speed in cold temperatures this winter. They also kept my pants drier from mud and water splashes.

However this last weekend I put them to impact test when a branch deflected me into a ditch. I landed hard enough for the perimeter of the rigid cup to dig through the accordion like padding of the knee guard as well as my riding pants cutting into and breaking my skin both above and below the knee itself. Knee is just fine, no blown up patella, pain nor swelling. However thigh and ankle which absorbed the deflected energy are still quite sore to the touch.

Do I call this a favorable review since I ended up with just minor injuries adjacent to the knee? I think so. I fear without the Herobikers I might not be walking today. I would recommend these guards.

Other souvenirs of the spill were a cell phone shaped bruise to the ribs and a mildly sprained and swollen paw.

Wrist was annoyingly painful rest of the trip but was worth enduring since the riding conditions were so excellant....accelerating out of corners was a mix of "Yeah!...Owww!...Yeah!"
Ow!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Nice report. Glad they helped. Wondered where you’ve been? Any pics?

·
Registered
6 Posts
are those the Tall Forma boots?? I ordered some low ones and am waiting to see them before I get some knee shin guards. how is the interface between the boot and the knee guards, ? comfortable? thanks for the report

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Ouch Fred! Hope that hand will be OK quick!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
My goodness, that hand looks terrible. Heal quickly.

I will probably invest in those knee pads based on your recommendation. My older pair of riding pants had very small pads built in. My newer ones (MSR's) just have some extra rubber built into the knee area. Have you used the hero's in warm or hot weather yet? They look to be great in cold weather.

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes to Forma Adventure tall boots.
Fairly comfortable unnoticeable joining of boot to knee/ankle guard. Guards tuck in a little over an inch into the tall forma Adventures for my 32" inseam.
Ribbing where ankle guard enters boot allows both airflow and water flow in and out around boot's cuff, a mixed blessing.
Have only ridden in a max of ~ 70 degree weather so far. Imagine may get hot and/or sweaty where velcro bands wrap around the leg.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts

Fred, Fred, just because you got new protection doesn't mean you have to try it out. Supposedly it is tested before you buy it. Too bad you didn't have a super glove on to protect that hand.

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just noticed today the impact bent my Pro Taper bars too:(

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pictures? Too busy riding! A few of various trails that end along the Consumes River.

Gold Note ORV area

We camped up on a ridge by Five Corners ORV area, hub of many single and double tracks like this winding gem down to the Consumes near Eakins Flat ORV area.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scenery was a bit more dramatic but snowy on the drive to PiPi riding area. Took a TW group on a camp-n-ride through here last summer when warmer.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Fred! Those are post card pro quality pics...! Sweet :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Dang hope you heal up fast and got ice on that wrist. I rolled my ankle on Tuesday got ice on it right away and now it is not so bad. I knew you had some pics tks. Looks like a fun ride.

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Adam-in-Nevada gave me some of the ice he needed to keep the beer cold....put half the ice on the swollen hand, other half chilled my medicinal vodka martini. ;)
Boarder255 rode back Sunday on his XT225 to the Bay Area with his hammock and gear in a nice Giant Loop tail bag like this. GiantLoop.jpg
I got to drive home over 8500 ft Carson Pass and several frozen lakes.
. I'll likely return to this riding area when I get tires of rocky trails and seek deep soils and heavy timber.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
Love those Giant Loop Tail bags...! $$$ ;)

Adam-in-Nevada gave me some of the ice he needed to keep the beer cold....put half the ice on the swollen hand, other half chilled my medicinal vodka martini. ;)
Boarder255 rode back Sunday on his XT225 to the Bay Area with his hammock and gear in a nice Giant Loop tail bag like this. View attachment 175081
I got to drive home over 8500 ft Carson Pass and several frozen lakes.
. I'll likely return to this riding area when I get tires of rocky trails and seek deep soils and heavy timber.

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If this was a Giant Loop Review I would give it high marks.
That waterproof Giant Loop tail bag was impressive.
It held all of Dale's camping gear for the weekend on the back of his XT225 without any supporting rack system. Thus total cost may be offset by not purchasing a rack. A small heat shield on his muffler kept things from melting.
His load out was a bit compact since weather was mild, he used a hammock rather than a tent, plus Adam & I were able to haul in the bulky beer, water, ice, stove, firewood, and spare warm stuff should it have been neccessary.
However if solo Dale could have brought 100% of the essentials by adding a day pack. Nice system.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Fred, those pictures of you guys relaxing along the river, just so beautiful and tranquil.

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Consumes.jpg Such crystal clear flowing pristine trout water, perfect temperature, quite and tranquil setting...I really had to fight the urge to dare Adam to jump the narrows by the waterfall on his TW.:p

Instead Adam has plans to return with his fiancé for a romantic camp out. They can have this view right from the door of their tent.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts