TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to purchase a very clean used TW with less than 500 miles on it. obviously has been in storage for a number of years. It starts right up and idles smooth. However on acceleration it hesitates and sputters. I'm thinking probably a carb issue but any ideas would be appreciated. Unfortunately I do not have the history of how it was stored. Gas tank drained etc. I did try a tank of Seafoam to no avail. and verified the the Pilot Jet was turned out 2 to 2 1/2 turns.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
What year?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I had the opportunity to purchase a very clean used TW with less than 500 miles on it. obviously has been in storage for a number of years. It starts right up and idles smooth. However on acceleration it hesitates and sputters. I'm thinking probably a carb issue but any ideas would be appreciated. Unfortunately I do not have the history of how it was stored. Gas tank drained etc. I did try a tank of Seafoam to no avail. and verified the the Pilot Jet was turned out 2 to 2 1/2 turns.
flush out fuel tank, take carb off and clean out. If ur not sure how to then have motorcycle shop do it. Really pretty easy, just take ur time, can of carb spray, compressed air and wear eye protection so u don't get carb spray in ur eyes....ouch! and don't lose any parts! Might want to put a little in-line filter on fuel line to carb. I still need to do that to mine.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Slides hang up, diaghragms dry out and crack, etc. Take importech's advice and go through the carb.

I heart my old school carbs.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Print off the parts diagram for your carb so you'll have some idea where the little tiny bits are supposed to fall from as you take it apart. Work over a cake pan with several paper towels in the bottom to prevent those little surprises that fall out from bouncing into a black hole.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Print off the parts diagram for your carb so you'll have some idea where the little tiny bits are supposed to fall from as you take it apart. Work over a cake pan with several paper towels in the bottom to prevent those little surprises that fall out from bouncing into a black hole.
i gotta say thats the best advise on carb cleaning i have ever heard!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts