TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll , new to this forum, not new to bikes, I am however new to this forum and to the TW's.

That is where my question lies, I have been watching CL and the bay..and it just seems most used tw's go pretty dang high, unless of course they have been "customized" (egaads what people will do to a poor MC ) and then they might be a bit cheaper. Other peoples engine mods scare me, most are done like a ham fisted monkey, or a rat on acid; your choice ;)

So, here's is the question(s).
I can get a new 2013 TW, OTD ..taxes , tags...for less than $3700.
I am having a hard time figuring how paying 2500-3000 for a late model used bike even if it is low miles, is even a deal or even a 8-10 year old bike for 1200-1500.

I have bought a bunch of used bikes in my time..the prices aren't making sense to me.

What am I missing ?

Thanks and thanks for a easy reading forum, lots of info here, and I haven't even scratched the surface.
Steve in the swamps of NC

·
Registered
466 Posts
$3700 is almost 1K off MSRP! with a color change for 2014 the dealer must be blowing out his remaining inventory. Go get it.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I can get a new 2013 TW, OTD ..taxes , tags...for less than $3700.
This is a no brainer, if you can afford it. 0 miles, full warranty, YOU get to make all the decisions on mods and farkles, and best of all, YOU get to break it in perfectly! Change that oil at 30, 200, 500, and 1,000 and re-use the original filter. Look up threads on break-in here.

You will have about the most perfect TW it is possible to own.....now THAT peace of mind is priceless!:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, Last time I did a NC Craigslist search for TW200 there was a bike listed in NC with 2 extra sets of tires and wheels. Thats about $2000 extra right there. Heck, I even looked it up for you.Yamaha TW200 Dual sport

If this one is not for you, $3700 is awesome price.
Hey man, thanks for that, I have seen that one. That is exactly what I am talking about, that is 13 maybe 14 years old, and asking 2k...and I didn't see mileage listed.
I mean to me thats crazy, a TW is a dirt bike (well kinda) but I reckon the market warrants that kinda money.

I am trying to get a feel for the going prices on these things, so thanks for your input, I know that one has lots of extras, the pelican case is prolly 300 plus.

Hey I'm cheap, I figured a 10 year old 200cc dirt bike should be 700-800 bucks ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No brainer...that is me sometimes.lol

and yea I can afford it, I've spent more than that on flow work alone, I used to race a bit, straight line stuff.

That break in schedule is..hmm kinda odd, these things must create some chips.

thanks everybody for the comments all are very appreciated !

·
Registered
976 Posts
I bought new because I found myself in the same boat you're in. All the local used bikes were within $1000-$1500 of the price of a new one on clearance, so I got a new 2011 in 2012.

And welcome to the forum from a relocated tarheel! (Raleigh, Greenville, Kinston)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought new because I found myself in the same boat you're in. All the local used bikes were within $1000-$1500 of the price of a new one on clearance, so I got a new 2011 in 2012.

And welcome to the forum from a relocated tarheel! (Raleigh, Greenville, Kinston)
Looks like it is going to be that way with me. I usually buy used... trucks, bikes ;guns. I have bought 3 new bikes in my life and I 'm 54, and have been riding since I was 10-11.

We were out your way end of June, we did a road/camping trip. Man that is a huge climate change for a tarheel ! I m from outside of Lumberton.

Thanks for the input !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey man, thanks for that, I have seen that one. That is exactly what I am talking about, that is 13 maybe 14 years old, and asking 2k...and I didn't see mileage listed.
I mean to me thats crazy, a TW is a dirt bike (well kinda) but I reckon the market warrants that kinda money.

I am trying to get a feel for the going prices on these things, so thanks for your input, I know that one has lots of extras, the pelican case is prolly 300 plus.

Hey I'm cheap, I figured a 10 year old 200cc dirt bike should be 700-800 bucks ;)
Excuse me it does have the mileage, a pic of the odo, 13k plus..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I always figure on cars and bikes dropping there value by half every 4 years. i.e. a 2009 toyota corolla that was bought new for $20k can be found for around $10k. In 4 more years it will be worth $5k.
Trucks I give a half life of 6 years.
TW200 - 8 years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought a leftover 2012 a couple of months ago, 3900 OTD, at 3700 it sounds like a damn good deal to me. Only thing I found locally was 2010s two of them the guy wanted 3000 each and was firm on the price. I just gave up and bought new, the warranty though short has got to be worth something.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Supply and Demand. TWs go for more than blue book due to the rarity of them, the demand, and the "got to have it now" factor. Between the four islands here we have the population of a prety small town and not including the random people making offers on my bike, there are three people seriously looking for TWs and constantly talking to me about them. One or two others are thinking about it as well. A month ago I had the only one one for miles, now we have three in this small area and hopefully growing.

It seems to me that many of the bikes made it to the West Coast not out here to the East Coast, so while Seatle area seems to constantly have ones for sale and relatively cheap, out here they are rarer and many of us have driven many miles to go get them. I got mine in Virginia over 500 miles from home and my buddy's was about 100 miles from here when he got it. Not to pressure you but I know people who will make the drive for either of those deals if they see them, the 2012 at the dealership here is $4,400.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts