TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just gotta brag!!! My son started Basic Nov. 4...Then OSUT...Was asked a week before graduation to attend US Army Airborne School at Ft Benning... All graduated and returned home on leave yesterday.... It is farm/ranch TW weather, and I will stay in better touch...

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
That's great. Congrats. I'm proud just looking at that picture of him.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Awesome!!! I wonder if they sing the Airborne Cadence like they did when I was his age. Clean cadence is boring! "Two old ladies were laying in bed, one rolled over to the other and said. I want to be an Airborne Ranger"...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome!!! I wonder if they sing the Airborne Cadence like they did when I was his age. Clean cadence is boring! "Two old ladies were laying in bed, one rolled over to the other and said. I want to be an Airborne Ranger"...
What I got to see it was cleaned up quite a bit...Who knows on those 0200 runs though?

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Reminds me of the rarely sung last stanza of The Star Spangled Banner :

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

"Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just". - no on seems to want to acknowledge this core belief anymore

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I don't know but I've been told. Eskimo.............................................

Whip me beat me I need love. Smack me with your leather glove. Nail marks up and down my back. Fish hooks through...................

Just good clean fun on those looooong boring runs! :D

Tom

·
Registered
604 Posts
Awesome!
Jump school is probably much better in Georgia. Jumping over Yuma with new USMC chutes,(old Army hand-me-down parachutes), was a bit iffy. One bad thermal and we're landing in Mexico.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Awesome!
Jump school is probably much better in Georgia. Jumping over Yuma with new USMC chutes,(old Army hand-me-down parachutes), was a bit iffy. One bad thermal and we're landing in Mexico.

Best/Worst thermal I ever caught in a T-10 was over Ft. Polk Louisiana. Day time "fun jump" following a few day's of training exercises. A cold front was approaching while we were loading the aircraft but it was a warm sunny day otherwise. We were exiting the plane at roughly 1400 ft and I remember when I left the door a rush of VERY cold air. I didn't think much of it because we were all rather warm and sweaty on the plane. Anyway the chute opened quickly and as I was checking my descent relative to the other jumpers I was again warm and toasty. Cool! I was the first man out of the right side door so I should have been one of the lowest jumpers in the air. I was not! It took me a minute to realize I was climbing altitude but when I finally realized I was trapped in a thermal I began my slip out. It took probably a full minute of slipping right until I reached the edge of the thermal and as my parachute exited my canopy began to collapse. Cold air was now pushing down toward the ground rapidly. I was aware that this was possible but it still startled me. After a brief free fall the canopy filled again and I was on the ground in a few minutes.

Later that evening I was speaking with the jumpmaster from my plane and he told me I was estimated at 2200 feet at my apex! In my 6 year career this was easily my longest time under a canopy while in uniform.

Tom

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Awesome well told story Tom!
MUCH happier ending than the cold night jump that I experienced way too many broken suspension lines. All of them from the right side of my chute! That one hurt!

Tom

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Bet this one stung a bit....

That is why you keep your arms tight to your body and chin pressed firmly to your chest. Some folks learn the hard way.......

Tom

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is why you keep your arms tight to your body and chin pressed firmly to your chest. Some folks learn the hard way.......

Tom
My son was out the door right behind him... didn't pass off static line and multiple other mistakes...

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Why you folks jump out of perfectly good airplanes is beyond me.
Isn't that what helicopters are for?:p
fast ropejpeg.jpeg

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Tom...how did you manage to break all those lines?
Free fall or static line?
T-10 canopy, or...?

The only jump I ever made where I was dead-nut certain I was going to die, or at least massive injuries was a night jump...ACK!

]
MUCH happier ending than the cold night jump that I experienced way too many broken suspension lines. All of them from the right side of my chute! That one hurt!

Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts