TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it took some doin' but my wife is finally letting me get my TW! I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to pick up a brand spankin new one. This will be my 2nd new bike. My first was an XR80 back in '84 that I saved all summer for.

Man am I excited. I hope I can sleep tonite. I feel 12 again. Haha.

Bring on the skyrocketing gas prices. As of right now, my 3/4 ton Chevy costs a minimum of $10 a day to get to work and back. Throw in an extra trip to town, another $20 a trip down the hill, $40.... Ya. Like at least a $250 a month fuel bill...

Now my new TW I'll be financing will be about $3 a day for the payment, and 2 gallons of fuel will last me about a week so... That is about a buck a day. Probably less. And it will be fun. So fun.

I have wanted one of these guys since the early 90's. It is so refreshing to me that the machine is essentially unchanged though the production run. A sure sign of a great reliable design.

I can't wait. Who else is a "Tee Dubber" here in Nor cal?

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
Your not gonna get much sleep!

Heck, I can't even get a good night sleep after looking at the maps and thinking about the next place I wanna ride.

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
... and 2 gallons of fuel will last me about a week so...

You forgot to factor in all the endless miles you will be riding just for the fun of it.

Where in NorCal are you?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wind chill of -40 last couple of days or mine would be out. Gettin old and too much of a wimp anymore. Welcome aboard and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Hey 530, that hill you drive down, would that be from Paradise?? Gerry

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Oh boy, your a gonner now!

Welcome !

Bag

·
Registered
512 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I am so glad I got mine last year. In fact, I'm getting rid of the cruiser and keeping just the TW. That little bike is a blast!

Dan

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I am a little nervous about spending the $, but I just keep doing the math.

It's also probably be more enjoyable than I'm imagining it to be as well....

I'm up here in Pollock Pines... outta Placerville... outta Sacramento.

There is great riding up here. I live right by Sly Park lake. The Eldorado National Forest is a mile from my house. I'm not exaggerating that either.

I'm grateful for this Forum! Nice to have knowledgeable nice guys to interact with. Not like some "other" sites.

BTW, how do I delete posts? I trying out the forum on my phone last night, and it double posted?!

John

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Welcome to the fold. Check the clutch return spring for proper install. That and the junk stock chain are the only bad habits on TWs.

Go ahead and replace the chain with an o-ring chain right away. Your sprockets will last 4-8 times longer. Stock sprockets and chain will set you back $75-100 depending on source every 4-5000 miles and will require near daily ajustment and all to frequent cleaning and lubrication, which includes removing the chain, cleaning in solvent, soaking in heated oil, hanging to dry, and reinstalling the chain, which seriously cuts into your riding time. See how well that run-on sentence illustrates the run-on nature of stock chain maintenance?

With a $65-75 o-ring chain on your new sprockets, you'll need to do an initial adjustment after it beds on the sprockets, then again when you replace a worn out rear tire at 10-12,000 miles. You'll need to lube it often enough to keep it from rusting. A non-sling chain wax works great, Champion Motorcycle Chain Lubricant from Walmart works even better. Spray it on a warm, clean chain and let sit until it jells. Goes on as a foam, then sets up to a wax-like waterproof coating that lacks the tack to collect sand and other crud and does not sling or wash off. After 1000 miles or so, clean with PB Blaster or SeaFoam Deep Creep and a shop towel, let dry, then reapply the chain lube. Not necessary to remove the chain from the bike, simply raise the back wheel with a 2x4 under the passenger peg or swingarm, spin the tire, and spray under the swingarm pivot so the overspray doesn't get on the tire or bike. Be careful not to get your body parts between the chain and sprocket. that really sucks. Good for another 1000+ miles. Takes only minutes. Somewhere about 25-30,000 miles, your o-ring chain will start to stretch and require adjustments. That is your cue to pony up for new sprockets, o-ring chain, and side cover gasket.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool. Thanks Qwerty.

I did get the bike tonight. I'm tired. It was a long day, worked 10 hrs, then 1.5 hrs to the dealership, the actual buying of the bike, then 1.5 hrs home. I took my 6 year old with me. (he scored himself a new helmet and gloves for his quad riding adventures)

So, on the chain, any brand you recommend, or vendor? Think it will be ok to put a few hundred miles on the stock chain and sprockets before adding an o-ring unit? (I am a bit tapped out right now in the $ dept.)

I can't wait to ride her tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
So, on the chain, any brand you recommend, or vendor? Think it will be ok to put a few hundred miles on the stock chain and sprockets before adding an o-ring unit? (I am a bit tapped out right now in the $ dept.)
Here's the one I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DID-D-I-D-428-V-O-Ring-Chain-122-LINKS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35af9ae9f0QQitemZ230579431920QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I bought it two years ago and am still waiting for the stock chain to wear out before I put it on.

With careful maintenance and attention to the chain slack/tension, the stock chain will last a long time.

I do lube my stock chain after every ride, clean it once a month during riding season, and adjust the tension whenever it is out of spec.

Qwerty would say this is a pain to do, and I would have to agree with him...

jb

·
Registered
232 Posts
Get the chain that jbfla has. Get it ASAP. I wouldn't use the stock chain for more that about 600 miles.

Welcome to the madness...

Ice House, Forest Hills, Sly Park, all really nice areas to ride and jeep in. You've picked the perfect vehicle for your location!

Ride safe, have fun.

·
Registered
462 Posts
to piggy back from Igo....

Yes, you have!!! If you're ever down to putt through the Rubicon - I'm there. Your area is wonderful and actually I lack a lot of experience around that area - beside Icehouse area and the rubicon. I reside in Sparks, NV and would more than be willing to meet up with you, should you ever desire to have a local TW buddy.

I could be in your area in 1.5 hours

You've chosen an excellent way to have fun, by purchaseing TW.

Welcome.

-Adam

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Adam,

That would be cool. I frequent the Rubicon quite often. Not on a bike though... My family and I are big into rock crawling. I have a Toyota based buggy/truggy. We also like trails like Barrett Lake, Deer Valley, Fourdyce, Hell Hole, Etc. If you guys haven't deciphered yet, I love the out doors and the mountains.

I also like old tractors too! I just finished putting together a 1956 Case 310 dozer from a total basket case... It's a little guy. I am currently using it for logging a 30 acre tract across the street from my place.

John

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
The sooner you swap out the chain, the better. That said, chain wear doesn't seem to be linear. Seems like it gets worse over time. A few hundred miles is no big deal, if you keep it lubed.

Be wary of people who talk time instead of miles when it comes to how long parts last. I know people who brag about their 30 years of experience who have lifetime total miles less than what others do in a year. On the other hand, I know people with hundreds of thousands of miles of experience, still can't ride for crap, and have the scars to prove it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well guys, I'm in love with this bike... Rode it everyday this week, except for one. It has been COLD in the mornings, but some hot coffee helps!

Jags, we will have to hook up sometime and go for a ride. I live in Sly Park Hills.

So glad I got this bike, instead of something else. It feels great on the street. The streets around here really seem to be made for this bike. Its a lot of 40-50mph stuff with lots of curves and hills.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Well guys, I'm in love with this bike... Rode it everyday this week, except for one. It has been COLD in the mornings, but some hot coffee helps!

Jags, we will have to hook up sometime and go for a ride. I live in Sly Park Hills.

So glad I got this bike, instead of something else. It feels great on the street. The streets around here really seem to be made for this bike. Its a lot of 40-50mph stuff with lots of curves and hills.
Sounds like my place in North Carolina. Perfect all-around bike, though it could use more got up and gone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts