TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few years ago (2011?) I won a Manracks DR650 rack in a raffle. When it showed up, I wasn't real happy with it because it wouldn't allow me to use my Happy Trails side racks without some customization. So it stayed in the box and was forgotten.

Not long ago, I found it, and had planned to post it for sale. But being lazy, that didn't happen either. It ended up in another box.

Then I got my TW200. And a few days ago, I found that rack again. I thought hey, this just might fit the TW with a little modification. Sure enough, the rear mounts that go to the turn signal locations matched up perfectly. Only the curved front part of the rack was a problem. Using a vice, I straightened the curved portions, and then cut them the correct length. I found a piece of scrap 5/8" tubing from another bent rack I had laying around, cut it to fit, and welded it in place. Then I tool some 4" strip steel, cut it and bent it into an L-bracket to run under the seat where other aftermarket racks attach to. I welded that up, grinded everything relatively smooth and gave it a couple coats of black paint. And voila! I call it my HalfAssRack. :)

2015-02-16 16.54.25.jpg

2015-02-16 16.54.48.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

For my next project, I'm modifying a pair of BMW F650GS side racks to carry my little Givi E21's that I also use on my DR650. I'm actually waiting til I get a new gas regulator for my welder, as I'm tired of using Flux Core; it's impossible to get nice looking welds with that stuff.

Rob

Registered
Yeah Rob, looks good man. Yeah, I've been looking for a smaller rack for my bike. Bought a decent older Manrack from another forum member. Sunday, it will be warm enough to remove the one I have on bike now, and list it for sale. Things are starting to come together now, so my bike will be lookin better this year as well. Wish I had a welder though.

BTW, I boxed those boots this morning, so I'll get them out to ya 2morrow as planned.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting the bike finished and actually start using it. But I'm still a few weeks away... both in terms of time and money. :)

Today it comes back into the garage (after I install a fresh battery -- the $30 Tusk one I got died completely after only two weeks), and it comes completely apart for a new wiring harness, steering bearings, wheel bearings, Vapor speedo, Seat Concepts seat, and a few other misc items I can't remember. But it'll still need a skid plate, turn signals (on order), hand guards, and (ideally) a larger gas tank... but the new rack will at least allow me to carry my 2-gal Rotopax if nothing else.

Rob

Registered
I like the Manrack size but not the mounting. All the weight you put on the rack relies on the strength of the blinker posts that rely on the strength of the rear sub frame. The rear sub frame has no strength and is usually the first part to brake. I think Yamaha rates the stock rear rubber pad for around 7 pounds capacity. A 2 gallon rotopack plus the weight of the rack has to be well over twice the carrying capacity the rear sub frame is rated for. Keep an eye on the sub frame welds and mounting bolts. The cross brace under the seat is also a rather weak spot to keep an eye on.

With your welding equipment I think I would try to do like Cycle racks did and brace the rack from the rear passenger peg mounts leaving the blinkers and rear sub frame completely out of the mix.

GaryL

Registered
Yeah, the Manracks for the TW don't mount to turn signals. Prolly for that reason. Yours was for a different bike. A gallon of gas is just over 6 lbs, and more if bouncing around. The TW Manracks mount to center seat bolts and the 2 fender bolts under rear end of seat. So now they're a little stronger IMO. I just bought a first gen TW Manrack that mounts the same way. Both under seat. Follows shape of rear fender only sitting 1" above fender. Nice and sleek, and very low profile. Without anything on the rack, you don't even notice there is a rack mounted at all. Just what I was looking for.
Rob, yours looks great, just test it with extra weight, and when carring extra poundage, keep an eye on it. Yeah, like Gary said, with your welding, you'd be able to beef that up if needed......;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Good points. I'll watch the mounts and see. I need to go get some 5/8" tubing anyway; just have to get off my butt and do so.

Although... once I finish up the side case mounts, they will be attaching to the same two places as the HalfAssRack, and also to the rear footpeg mounts, so they could act to reinforce everything. Or maybe just add even more load to it. ;)

In any case, nothing some more welding wouldn't fix...

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts