TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, figure i should do this the proper way, since my first post was in the classifieds (selling my BW to fund TW, lol).

Anyway got rid of my big wheel quickly, quicker than i thought i would. Dont worry, still have one more, lol :D

20171020_182036.jpg

And found this nice little TW a few days later. 2006 with 24xx miles, for $2k. I guess that a decent deal... Anyway, just got my motorcycle endorsement today (after riding without it for 20 years, ssshhh :icon_silent: Now i dont have to worry on the back roads anymore.

Did notice the infamous lower gasket weep. Just a weep right now, so not going to worry about it too quickly. Also some rust in gas tank (whats best route for that, vinegar, evapo-rust?) Got it on the back of the truck on a HF carrier right now, will try to get a pic of that up later. Its been updated, now has steel bottom plate, seems solid. Also quick to load. Anyway, look forward to bugging all of y'all for your good info, lol...

20180412_185128.jpg received_10215615256919053.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
Welcome to the madness

Someone will be along any minute to advise on the rust issue – and I think that someone else discovered a little trick for that leaky gasket

It’s late here now, but I’ll look into tomorrow if you haven’t had the answer by then …. ;)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to legal street riding

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Howdy and a big TW welcome!
Nice clean looking bike.
Re-torqueing the cylinder and head has been reported to fix some of the base gasket weeping although the leakage might help prevent rusting that bottom plate you mentioned.:p
About time for the 3,000 mile interval valve adjustment?
Maybe fresher tires too? Bet those stock TrailWings look rather skinny compared to the BigWheel.

EDIT: That seems to be the stock 2006 TW skidplate. I seem to be one of the few fans of the elegant engineering went into this efficient energy dissipating unit and it's isolation mounts. Small as it may be it does it's job without transmitting nearly as much impact energy directly to the TW engine and frame as the popular Ricochet replacement skidplate.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Well, figure i should do this the proper way, since my first post was in the classifieds (selling my BW to fund TW, lol).

Anyway got rid of my big wheel quickly, quicker than i thought i would. Dont worry, still have one more, lol :D

View attachment 169474

And found this nice little TW a few days later. 2006 with 24xx miles, for $2k. I guess that a decent deal... Anyway, just got my motorcycle endorsement today (after riding without it for 20 years, ssshhh :icon_silent: Now i dont have to worry on the back roads anymore.

Did notice the infamous lower gasket weep. Just a weep right now, so not going to worry about it too quickly. Also some rust in gas tank (whats best route for that, vinegar, evapo-rust?) Got it on the back of the truck on a HF carrier right now, will try to get a pic of that up later. Its been updated, now has steel bottom plate, seems solid. Also quick to load. Anyway, look forward to bugging all of y'all for your good info, lol...

View attachment 169482 View attachment 169490
Welcome. Too clean. Said in a stressful voice (you) "must...get...it...dirty". :p

Reactions: putt-putt

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Eastern Ontario and as an added bonus a fellow 2006 owner.....Congrats!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good luck with your new toy!
Many years ago I found this product (trying to remember name) made just for rusty tanks. I used it on an old CT-90 and it was amazing. You have to remove the tank and all it's fittings,
clean thoroughly and pour this compound inside. Then you keep turning the tank over and over in all directions until it is evenly coated inside, let dry and voila new tank! This stuff was whitish seemed almost like a ceramic finish. Worked great!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the madness

Someone will be along any minute to advise on the rust issue – and I think that someone else discovered a little trick for that leaky gasket

It’s late here now, but I’ll look into tomorrow if you haven’t had the answer by then …. ;)
I'd love to know the trick! Didnt see one with a quick search. Did see the write up on how to change.

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the Harbor Freight Carrier. Its the updated version, with the steel baseplate. Still on the fence about it. Works ok, but not wide enough for tires to tall below, as they intend them to do.

20180418_180335.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
Some people have been lucky by simply loosening off the cylinder bolts and re-torquing them down - may not cure everything, but often cures a lot of it

As to the front tire - the stock front tire is a well known hazard, that will lull you into a false sense of security, before face planting you for no reason whatsoever, other than to renew your relationship with your dentist — I believe that the term “treacherous” just about describes it — we refer to it as the “Death Wing”

Long story short - Shinko 241 - 50 bucks ......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts