TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that there is a proposed settlement in the class action lawsuit against Harbor Freight that was filed last year for improperly advertising merchandise at a "sale" or "compare at" price when the same items had not been sold at the advertised regular or "compare at" price for at least 28 of the preceding 90 days.

If the details I've read are true there's a substantial amount of money to be returned to customers. I haven't absorbed the details but there are a number of forums and news sites discussing it.

If you've bought stuff there from April 8, 2011 to December 15, 2016 and have receipts or other proof, it sounds like it might be worth your while to check this out if this turns out to be as it seems. I assume there are people here that this might affect so I thought I'd post it. Personally, I've spent around $2500 during the time this covers....and I've kept my receipts.

Here's a quote explaining some details from a thread on SlickDeals shopping forum:

"Harbor Freight Class Action Settlement - Get cash back or gift cards for purchases made from 4/8/11-12/15/16!!
Harbor Freight just settled a class action suit due to falsely advertising the "regular price" of items, and therefore falsely claiming the amount that you save when an item is "on sale". Full details of the case and settlement, as well as instructions on submitting a claim, can be found here: National Sale Price Settlement

The options to claim damages are as follows:

OPTION A. Customers who have itemized Harbor Freight receipts reflecting one or more purchases between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 with a "you saved" amount reflected on their receipts can submit copies of those receipts and elect to receive either 20% in cash, or 30% in a Harbor Freight gift card, of the total "you saved" amount listed on their receipts, excluding any amounts reflecting free items or items that were later returned.
EXAMPLE: If you have receipts showing total "savings" on multiple items totaling $480, you have the option of getting 20% cash back ($96) or 30% ($144) on a Harbor Freight gift card.

OPTION B. Customers who have credit or debit card statements reflecting one or more purchases at Harbor Freight between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 can submit copies of those statements and elect to receive either 10% in cash, or 12% in a Harbor Freight gift card, of the total Harbor Freight purchases on their credit or debit card statement(s), excluding any amounts reflecting items that were later returned.
EXAMPLE: If you have credit card statements showing $2,400 in purchases at Harbor Freight, you have the option of getting 10% ($240) cash back or 12% ($288) on a Harbor Fright gift card.

OPTION C. All other customers who made purchases at Harbor Freight between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 may submit one declaration, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that they purchased an item from Harbor Freight (other than a free or later-returned item) that was advertised with a higher reference price (e.g., "reg. $XXX," "only $XXX," or "comp. at $XXX") adjacent to a lower current offering price, and that they do not have itemized Harbor Freight receipts or credit or debit card statements of their Harbor Freight purchases. Customers submitting this declaration will receive one $10 Harbor Freight gift card.
This one is pretty self explanatory. "

...and here’s a link to the thread if you want to read discussion.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I understand that their advertising of "normal" vs "sale" price is not accurate, but many places do this and consumers need to be smart. The only people making any real money in this lawsuit are the greedy lawyers who will walk away with millions and leave scraps for the consumers to collect and higher prices at the stores to cover the millions that they charged. Do smart consumers really think that a $20 drill at Harbor Freight is valued at $89, or will last as long as one that actually costs that? No. But sometimes I need some cheap and almost disposable tools, so that is what I buy there. And some of their stuff is great and worth more than they are asking.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
HF tools are not designed for the tradesman and should be understood to be the weekend warriors quality stuff to get a job done. I have lots of HF stuff that I only ever use or needed for a few uses. They work or they replace them and some of them actually do work quite well and can last. I just finished building one of their 4X8 fold away utility trailers I plan to drag my kayak on. It actually is quite well made and designed and I think it will get the job done very nicely as long as I maintain it. I do not expect the tires or wheel bearings to last all that long but a similar trailer by another company would cost 2 or 3 times as much. I will give them an A+ for the instructions that came with it. In this day and age there is an Ambulance chasing lawyer behind every bush along with a bunch of judges who seem to think they were elected as dictators to overrule the President.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I bought a Craftsman torque wrench that broke after a very short period. Tried to take it back to Sears and was told by two different employees that there was no warranty on tools anymore. Harbor Freight? No problem.Just take it back and they will replace it.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
If you all are satisfied with false advertising by HF, you might be almost happy for awhile with our current President.
I'm thrilled we finally have a man with all his man parts in the WH and so far he hasn't done any false advertising and is keeping promises which in and of itself is unheard of in American politics.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I'm thrilled we finally have a man with all his man parts in the WH and so far he hasn't done any false advertising and is keeping promises which in and of itself is unheard of in American politics.

GaryL
Hey GaryL I sure wish we had the Kenyan Fool and his Tranny Wife back, don't you? They hated America, but were good for the occasional Vacation Folder Photo Shoot.. :excitement:

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you all are satisfied with false advertising by HF, you might be almost happy for awhile with our current President.
Unless someone is stupid they should shop a HF with their eyes open. I have bought many things there and have been mostly happy with them. Most of the things I bought I wouldn't have even considered at more regular prices for what would be expected to be (but not always actually) higher quality products. I hate law suits like this and the money grubbing lawyers and their equally greedy clients. "lose hair on chemotherapy for your cancer? Call the law offices of *** you might be entitled to a cash award!"

I hope most everyone who voted for Trump was aware of his obvious faults and short comings but given the alternative in the election - there was no viable alternative.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Hey GaryL I sure we had the Kenyan Fool and his Tranny Wife back, don't you? :excitement:
Nope! I just heard this morning they are out in Hawaii and instructing the Judge there on how to proceed with his order to halt the President's travel ban. That judge and BHO were classmates and BHO and the Judge in MD are also pals. Have we ever heard of a previous President working hard to take down a current President??????? That is as Un American as I have ever seen!

GaryL

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
This is the case of a life time for some lawyers while everyone else gets a few bucks back.

When I need something from HF I just go get it. Sale or no sale I don't care -- they are already cheap, I mean reasonably priced. I think frivolous is a good description of this lawsuit.

And I much prefer the present occupant of the White House especially compared to the last one.

·
Registered
509 Posts
HF is a great toy store for many of us... True some quality/reliability issues do occur sometimes but that is true with lot's of tools n stuff we buy.

As for your quote....

You are listening to the wrong news agency's my friend....

"You can keep your health care plan if you can keep it"

" You can keep your Dr. if you want it".

"Your health care costs are going down by $2500".

I need not say any more than that.

Jim

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Many Class Action lawsuits leave a bad taste for me too. I’ve always been aware that HF ‘compare at’ prices are just marketing…a little deceptive but I knew it. I make the decision to buy based on what the item is worth to me and I have a ton of HF stuff. I only posted this for information.

All that being said another class action suit hit close to home for me. Two years ago we had a Frigidaire dehumidifier catch on fire in the basement. It was on the concrete floor, over a drain and didn’t catch anything else on fire...just stunk like hell. It could have been worse though. I just saw where the Chinese manufacturer lost a suit for fires and is ordered to replace the units or reimburse customers.

As distasteful as suits can be, sometimes there’s a need to somehow deal with bad business practices. I’d guess that some of us that got a recall for Takata airbags in our new cars will likely have them replaced.

HF & the President...who'd a thunk? BTW the best man won.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts