TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need a little advice.

In a couple weeks we're going camping in several places in Utah.
The typical altitude where we're going is ~9,000 ft.
Where I live is ~3,400 ft.

I'm wondering what jetting settings you guys are using who live or ride a lot at that kind of altitude.

Oh, and does anyone know if Gregor is still making the pilot screw extensions?

Thanks guys!

And for your viewing pleasure:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Without knowing what year your bike is and what main jet is in there now, we could not make a recommendation.

My 2010 with the stock 126 jet works OK up to 9,000....pilot screw two turns out.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without knowing what year your bike is and what main jet is in there now, we could not make a recommendation.

My 2010 with the stock 126 jet works OK up to 9,000....pilot screw two turns out.
Thanks Rocky.
My bike is a 2014, all jets stock, pilot screw out 2 1/2, no shims, no pipe, stock air filter.
At 7,000 ft. I couldn't even keep it running, much less ride it.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
I lived in Denver for a few years, and i rode with the stock jetting the whole time. I've ridden up to 12 thousand feet at least a few times and it was just fine. At 8000+ feet, 5th gear is useless, but it's fine if you are fine with not going fast.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
At 7,000 ft. I couldn't even keep it running, much less ride it.
Strange, most of us with the stock 126 seem fine as posted above. Are you SURE your main is a 126? If I knew I was not going below 7,000 while on a trip I would stick a 122 in there, it was better above 10,000, although I did have my stock 126 as high as 12,000 and it did start and run, just didn't have any power.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
"At 7,000 ft. I couldn't even keep it running, much less ride it" - your bike, if stock in good repair, should have no problems running at 9,000 ft, much less be " un-ridable" at 7,000 ft.
Thus your bike is likely not stock or not in good repair if the above quote is accurate. Before your trip I would assure yourself of clean air filter, good quality properly gaped spark plug, proper timing, valve adjustment and certainly confirm jetting, float height and visually inspect pilot needle for damage. There is a logical disconnect with the reported severity of symptoms at elevation and the reported condition of the bike which needs to be determined and corrected. Don't ignore the simple or seemingly
dismissible assumptions, perhaps the enriching circuit was accidentally activated during prior experience at 7,000 ft. elevation. Good luck, these bikes do lose a bit of power and can blubber a bit around 9,000 ft but remain very ridable in my experience.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Darth, I just returned from two weeks in the northern New Mexico mountains. Floor of the valley where I stayed was 8,650 feet and standard jetting (126 main) worked as well as here as anywhere. I rode to 11,000 feet and noted a power loss but no real issues. I suggest that you assure that the carb is clean, and the filter is clean and go for it.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK guys...you've convinced me I *should* be fine at 9K ft.

The bike only has ~200 miles on it and the carb/filter/ignition, etc. are all stock.
The only thing changed was the setting on the pilot screw. When I got it was set at 1 1/8th turn out. I reset that at 2 1/2 turns out to richen it up from factory lean settings.
Something you guys didn't mention or verify is the pilot screw setting...comments?

I'm going to tear down the carb and make sure no junk, twisted O-rings, blocked passages, etc.
I'll re-verify it has a 126 Main but I'm sure it does.
And I'll pay attention to you guys thoughts on Pilot screw setting.

I appreciate your help guys!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Stock Bikes:

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
You should be good at 2 and 1/2 out on the pilot screw. That is probably the most important single modification that anyone can do to their TW.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
What was the pilot screw setting when "couldn't even keep it running @ 7,000 feet"? Two and a half revolutions out from seated might be too rich for your bike at elevation in its current state of tune. A new bike that has not been "dialed-in" by the owner has potential to have come poorly or incorrectly set-up from the dealer's lowest paid employee. For example the air filter might be over-oiled causing the observed presumably overly rich condition. The pilot screw setting is not a cook-book fixed value, but rather something the owner adjusts to optimize the air/fuel mixture to a certain extent. Pilot screw fuel metering contributes some go-juice throughout the rpm range.
We ( or I at least) have been assuming that reported difficulty at 7,000 feet was due to an overly rich fuel mix. This may be a faulty assumption. Please tell us more detailed symptoms i.e. what do you mean by "couldn't even keep it running"? Wouldn't start? Stalled at low rpm? Stalled at high rpm? Stalled when engaging clutch? What happened? What did engine sound like? What made bike "unridable"?

Reactions: admiral and jbfla

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
I have experienced what you feel and what all the others have said is good stuff.

My experience with my first TW (2005), the engine rpm would be drop when I was at a higher elevation just like yours. I don't have any first-hand knowledge as I've never re-jetted a carburetor, but from what I've read/heard, it sounds like you would most likely be running rich as Fred mentioned.

A couple of things I experimented with my 2005 were:

1-I turned the idle screw up giving it more rpm's. After I did this it wouldn't stall when warmed up. It was still mildly hard to start as before, but very manageable.

2-A year later I modified my outside airbox cover by drilling some holes (4-5) in it. This would allow more air in and the TW ran much better with more power than just turning up the idle. When at lower elevations I would cover the holes with tape. Caution with this method as you are forever altering the airbox cover and would have to buy a new or used unmolested one to bring back to stock condition.

I'm thinking at 2 1/2 turns out on the pilot screw you may be making it even richer running, so maybe you could try turning it in too the stock pilot screw setting. Maybe this would help, just throwing some idea's out there for you to try before having to re-jet.

Also, this past weekend I did a lot of riding at medium altitude up to and around 7,000 plus feet. When I was at the higher elevation, I noticed my engine rpm's were much lower, but I didn't have to turn the idle knob up to keep it running so all was good. I should mention this was on my 2015 TW.

Hope you get it running the way you want. Good luck!

Reactions: jbfla

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Opp's !! My mentioned above post on the 2 and 1/2 turns out on the mixture screw was meant to be a general statement, not for high altitude. Sorry about that. :rolleyes:

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Hey littletommy, you meant well and depending on the jetting you may still be correct.:icon_thumright: Just depends! I recently changed my new TW from the stock setting to 2-1/2 out and it ran pretty well at the high altitude, though not as high as the OP. Before the adjustment I had quite a bit of backfiring going on, even at high altitude and making the adjustment helped in that regard. But hey what do I know about carbs, I just following along what others have done before.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Thanks Kris, I appreciate that. My sleep and pain issues are getting me pretty bad lately, so when I see some posts I have already posted, sometimes, I think... huh? "I wrote that??" When I logged back on and saw what you and Fred wrote, I immediately thought..O geez tommy, you are such a dummy, you are going to mess that guy all up with your info. !! :rolleyes:

Still though, I do think that one little adjustment is the greatest thing anyone can do for their bike, (usually.) ;) :D

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Tommy, we gotta get you feeling better so you can come play with us in Utah next year. Bring your little Ginger Snap and entertain us by the campfire.. IMG_0059.JPG

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I'm working on it, but the VA isn't cooperating. I was supposed to have my first doctor visit today along with extensive lab work and it got re-scheduled until Oct 2nd now. If it continues at this rate, and I end up needing surgeries, I am afraid I may not be healed up enough for Moab. I haven't given up hope yet, but it's wavering with my progress at the VA Hospital so far. So far, it's been over two months since I promised you guys I would go and still nothing has happened. The pain, the sleep and my general health lately is starting to get me down. I'm seriously growing very weary of all this.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
I was afraid of that LittleTommy.
Sorry Darth for the hijack
Sorry also that I don't know how to expedite VA paperwork and bureaucratic red tape.:(

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
We'll see. It would be good for me to go to Moab. I'm not giving up this easily. ;) I just need it to go smoothly and trouble free at the VA.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts