TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've never owned a motorcycle, but I have always wanted one. I've always been a big fan of the dual sport bikes, and I am bigtime 4x4, camping, hiking, outdoors loving kinda guy.

Recently, I took a trip to Japan. While I was there, I found the bike I want. At first I had no idea what it was, but I have been informed that it is a modified TW200.

So, this is why I joined the forum. I am dead set on buying one of these bikes. It'll be a few months as I have to save some money, I am thinking springtime, and then I'll find one. But in the mean time, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about these two bikes:

That is the look I will be going for. It looks like these are just stripped down, with maybe a few custom bits added. Most of the TW200s I have seen have a square front light and a little fearing there. Both of these have round lights. Is that custom or are these older models? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Bart

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hi folks,

I've never owned a motorcycle, but I have always wanted one. I've always been a big fan of the dual sport bikes, and I am bigtime 4x4, camping, hiking, outdoors loving kinda guy.

Recently, I took a trip to Japan. While I was there, I found the bike I want. At first I had no idea what it was, but I have been informed that it is a modified TW200.

So, this is why I joined the forum. I am dead set on buying one of these bikes. It'll be a few months as I have to save some money, I am thinking springtime, and then I'll find one. But in the mean time, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about these two bikes:

That is the look I will be going for. It looks like these are just stripped down, with maybe a few custom bits added. Most of the TW200s I have seen have a square front light and a little fearing there. Both of these have round lights. Is that custom or are these older models? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Bart

Those are Japanese bikes modified using the JDM aftermarket parts, they have extended swingarms (at least the top one does), naked kits(elimination of airbox, sidepanels, battery relocation), Japanese headlights/ taillights, aftermarket seats, and downpipe

exhausts. These have stock tanks but aftermarket tanks are available. The rest is stock or close to stock. These parts are all available from Japan but it is expensive to import them.

http://japan.webike....000_123010.html

seats

http://japan.webike.net/categories/100000_120000_123000_123010_1100123010.html

here is one available in the US and it may be your best bet. http://tw200forum.co...roheads-tw-45k/

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also would like to modify a TW into this style.

Looks like it's mostly cosmetic stuff to me. Round headlight, longer swingarm, different seat and a few other things. I'm not really worried about performance so much. If I want higher speed I've heard all you have to do is change a few teeth up front or in the rear and maybe buy a nice o-ring chain.

How much we talkin when shipping a few select parts out of china? Has anyone here actually had anything shipped from these folks listed in the link? For example: let's say a $200 order, what's the shipping for something like that?

I'm just curious because I want to know if it's a long lost dream for me or if I can make it affordable at some point in time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I also would like to modify a TW into this style.

Looks like it's mostly cosmetic stuff to me. Round headlight, longer swingarm, different seat and a few other things. I'm not really worried about performance so much. If I want higher speed I've heard all you have to do is change a few teeth up front or in the rear and maybe buy a nice o-ring chain.

How much we talkin when shipping a few select parts out of china? Has anyone here actually had anything shipped from these folks listed in the link? For example: let's say a $200 order, what's the shipping for something like that?

I'm just curious because I want to know if it's a long lost dream for me or if I can make it affordable at some point in time.

Thanks.

You have to figure out the shipping weight points, find the yen equivalent for north America, then convert it to dollars.

For instance, the American Draggers 200mm swingarm is $660 + $125 shipping (8.3 weight points converted to US dollars), and there may be other fees, customs on top of that. So you can easily see it is going to cost you north of $2000 for these FEW select parts you speak of.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I see. Oh well, so much for that plan! LoL

I wish there were more demand for this stuff over here so they were more available.

Maybe Yamaha will give us the TW225 for it's 25 year anniversary, '25' years = TW2'25'?

Yea right, if they do anything they'll probably make that the last year available, I would hope not.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can get that look without importing anything. It'll just take some creativity and time. pgilles on the forum has done the airbox elimination so ask him what it took. doesnt take much to extend the swingarm( use the forum search i'm sure there is a how to) the rear plastics basically just pop off, you can find circle lights here and i think there is even a company that makes a double circular light conversion (i may be mistaken on that) and those tires are sold here in the states. Those are the main things done and can be done without any imported kits just a little creativity. as for the exhaust that may be a little more difficult but i'm sure you could find a good custom exhaust shop that could help you out. You can make anything happen if you really want to do it... make sure to keep us updated and feel free to ask questions. I'm pretty sure there is someone on the forum that has done at least one of these mods....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, guys!

Yeah, to me, it doesn't look that difficult. I could probably afford to order one or two parts from Japan, or worst case, bring them back with me next time I go. But Japan is getting more expensive though with our fading dollar which sucks.

Either way, I don't need to replicate these bikes EXACTLY, I would just be going for a similar looking setup, obviously with my own flare added.

I can't wait! I'll hang around here a bit and try to learn me a little about these bikes. Like I said, I'm a big 4x4 guy, and sadly, I know next to nothing about bikes.

Thanks again, Bart

1 - 7 of 7 Posts