TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just found your forum after purchasing my first motorbike and it being a TW200 1990 (pretty much stock I think).

I was wondering does this model's front brake lever (stock) trigger the brake light?
Or do I have to buy something? mod something?
Any tips would be great. Would like to make it a little bit safer.
(I did notice near the front column a blue electric plug is available).

Thanks all and such a fantastic Forum! congratulations.

PS. if anyone is from Perth, Australia, please contact me. would love to meet other TW200 people here.

·
Super Moderator
19,878 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Yes it is designed to have the brake light come on when you pull the front brake. Sounds like you will have to trace the wiring to find out where it is unplugged or where the problem is. Start right at the front brake lever where there "should" be a wire coming out of it and go from there.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hello Lozinoz and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new bike! Here is a link to the wiring diagram for your model;
Hope this helps you solve your problems:)http://postimg.org/image/skmozcptb/

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
I took some photos.
maybe he crashed, and had to swap lever and didnt get the drum brake switch?
if you can let me know what parts to order (can be after market / ebay) that would be awesome!
extra safety is good! Auto part Bicycle part Bicycle fork Brake Vehicle

·
Registered
386 Posts
yes that is where it is supposed to plug into, its been changed at some point, you can find all the parts from US shops, i used MRcycles.com, but the guys here can name more, or try ebay.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hello, and welcome from Kansas, also the land of Oz. lol You might check the classifieds on this forum for parts you need to put her back to stock.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
549 Posts
That's the rear brake light switch mounted over the brake pedal. This should be the switch assembly for your bike -5H0-83980-09-00

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you know where i can find that on ebay?
oh... and I presume these parts are easy (ish) to swap out myself?

·
Registered
549 Posts
You can also try the salvage yards, seems you have quite a few around. Saw these guys online, they seem to have access to lots of inventory. Just remember this switch was used on other bikes besides the TW, but they should be able to cross it over. Give these guys a call - Just Dirt Bikes Motorcycle Wreckers Secondhand Bikes

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
386 Posts
the rear brake switch is very similar on a lot of bikes, i wouldn't worry too much about genuine TW parts for things like that, its just 2 wires creating a circuit, all rear drum brakes will have a similar set up. you might struggle with lots of tw parts in oz though, parts are pretty none existent in thailand too, i've seen quite a few compromises done here that have just the same effect as the original but fraction of the cost with regards to lights, seals, cables, levers, pegs etc etc, you will find some yamaha parts are generic and will fit all models, you can find these with a quick ebay search.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That's mostly correct supachip1 but its the front brake switch he is searching for and it has to thread into a threaded hole on the lever mount. The size and depth of the threaded portion are important factors in order for it all to work correctly. There are quite a few Yamaha dealers there so ordering it shouldn't be a problem at all. When it comes to brakes and other safety parts on a bike I always recommend OEM when possible. If your ever the cause of a crash and its traced back to failure of homemade parts they will eat you alive, least here in North America it seems. Don't think a switch would ever cause a problem, but some of the home built actuators can cause restrictions and limit travels. If its only off road then who cares, but if its licensed and on the road, everyone else cares.

On a side note: Lozinoz, I saw the Yamaha AG200F bike listed on your Yamaha website. Very interesting bike! Have you seen many of those riding around? Seems to be a cross between our TWs and the old trail 110 Honda. Check out the enclosed chain guard and the stock racks both front and back. As a child we had a summer home on Pender Island and my dad aquired a CT110 for exploring the island with. He made seat cushions for the front and rear racks and fastened canteens to the sides. The older brother rode on the rear rack, the younger one on bit of seat in front of dad, and me riding in the breeze out front. The four of us went everywhere on that silly bike and the summer days flew by. That styling takes me right back to those days, it was a great bike and we still see them around up our way as they are a favorite with hunters.

Anyways.... good luck with your parts search and post some pictures of your project when its done. Take care, Chris

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have ordered all 3 parts from one eBay seller.

Thanks all for you interest and help!
will let you know and post pictures when/if i get them all installed!
wish me luck!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts