TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new TW owner, purchased a 2018 brand new last year. When I took my bike out of winter storage, it was only running on full choke. I forgot to empty the gas from the carbs while in storage. After running Seafoam through the tank, it now runs on half choke. Will not idle without it. I read about the possibility of the pilot jet being clogged so I removed the float boat to check the pilot jet and main jet but there were no clogs or dirt that I could see. I removed the pilot screw plug and it was about 1.5 turns out. I turned it to 2.5 turns as I've read others have suggested. I will be starting the bike tomorrow to see if that makes a difference, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on what it might be? Would it run better if I replace the pilot jet and main, with larger ones?

The bike is pretty new with only 40 miles and I'm mad at myself for already creating a problem so soon. Thanks in advance to anyone with any information/suggestions. It's greatly appreciated, as I'm looking forward to enjoying what I know will be a great bike.

-Stef

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Errtu, thanks for the reply. I was hoping it wouldn't be that, but I had a feeling Seafoam wouldn't be enough. I did put in new gas though. Thanks again!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hey Errtu, thanks for the reply. I was hoping it wouldn't be that, but I had a feeling Seafoam wouldn't be enough. I did put in new gas though. Thanks again!
I did the same thing and my bike wouldn't run at all. I cleaned the piss out of my carb 3 times and still it wouldn't run well. I decided to quit screwing with it and replaced the 19 year old carb with a new Chinese knock off. Bike has been running great since.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a pain but good that it wasn't anything beyond the carbs and that replacing it did the trick for you. Were you familiar with carbs before you opened it up and cleaned it? Removing the float and checking the pilot was easy enough but I know that going beyond that is much more complicated. I was hoping to not have to do that so soon with owning a new one

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If you cleaned the jets, put new gas and a little sea foam it should be ok when you fire it back up. If it is not, there is a very small orifice in the neck of the carburetor that occasionally gets clogged. I can't remember exactly which jet it is, pilot or main but you can run a very small needle through it from the jet side when the jet is removed. You may be able to just blast some carb cleaner through the orifice but I do the needle and then the carb cleaner.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That's a pain but good that it wasn't anything beyond the carbs and that replacing it did the trick for you. Were you familiar with carbs before you opened it up and cleaned it? Removing the float and checking the pilot was easy enough but I know that going beyond that is much more complicated. I was hoping to not have to do that so soon with owning a new one
First motorcycle and I did a ton of research before I opened it up. This last fall I filled my gas tank to the very top and added some fuel stabilizer. I then turned off the petcock and ran the bike until it cut out. My bike sits outside all winter covered in Colorado. This spring I just turned on the petcock, opened the choke and it started right up after 5-7 seconds of cranking.

·
Registered
20,388 Posts
Please let us know if opening the pilot crew out to ~2.5 revolutions plus the new gas helps or cures issue. IMHO it may be premature to replace jets before ensuring carb is truly clean. The Seafoam was a good idea. A further step could be an ultrasonic cleaning of the dissembled carb ( or at least it's small float bowl parts) with a few drops of almost any detergent. This might free any clinging film deposits one cannot detect with naked eye but affect flow rate through the small orifices.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you cleaned the jets, put new gas and a little sea foam it should be ok when you fire it back up. If it is not, there is a very small orifice in the neck of the carburetor that occasionally gets clogged. I can't remember exactly which jet it is, pilot or main but you can run a very small needle through it from the jet side when the jet is removed. You may be able to just blast some carb cleaner through the orifice but I do the needle and then the carb cleaner.
Hi Ken, thanks I will definitely be blasting some carb cleaner through it. I didn't have a small needle but I tried to use a piece of wire from a carb tuning tool kit that I ordered. Even the tiniest wire doesn't fit so I will go for the needle that you suggested. Originally I said I didn't notice that there was any clogged dirt in the pilot jet but now I'm wondering if it is slightly clogged. I can see a tiny bit of light coming through and the opening is round but very very small. Not familiar with carbs so I'm not sure if that's just the size that it's supposed to be, but I'm giving it some cleaner now

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I start my bike up at least once a week all year round. zero degrees out? no problem. start it anyway. Hot chocolate in hand and crank it up. Do the same with all of the vehicles. Mechanical things like to be run.
Hi Oldworld 124, thanks for the reply. For winter storage I used the STA-BIL fuel stabilizer and started it up a few times, that's why I was kind of surprised that this happened, but it could be that I didn't start it up enough since you mentioned once a week

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First motorcycle and I did a ton of research before I opened it up. This last fall I filled my gas tank to the very top and added some fuel stabilizer. I then turned off the petcock and ran the bike until it cut out. My bike sits outside all winter covered in Colorado. This spring I just turned on the petcock, opened the choke and it started right up after 5-7 seconds of cranking.
Yup I did the same with the full tank and STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer but I forgot to turn off the petcock and let the bike cut out. When it's sitting outside do you ever run it once in a while? Colorado has a more serious winter than New York (where I am), so it's cool to hear that it starts right back up in the spring. That's what I want to happen this coming winter and the following spring after I fix whatever the problem is now

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please let us know if opening the pilot crew out to ~2.5 revolutions plus the new gas helps or cures issue. IMHO it may be premature to replace jets before ensuring carb is truly clean. The Seafoam was a good idea. A further step could be an ultrasonic cleaning of the dissembled carb ( or at least it's small float bowl parts) with a few drops of almost any detergent. This might free any clinging film deposits one cannot detect with naked eye but affect flow rate through the small orifices.
Hey Fred thanks, I will look into that as a further step. I was surprised by how clean things looked in the float bowl but I'm still going to give it a clean, for the exact reason you mentioned about tiny deposits. I was replying above that initially I though the pilot jet was cleaned, because I saw a tiny bit of light shining through, but since I'm unfamiliar with the different sizes, I might be wrong. Could be partially clogged and maybe should have a slightly bigger opening than the one I see. Going to give it a thorough clean and test out the 2.5 turns. I'll report back if that was enough to get it idling properly. Thanks again, really appreciate everyone's input!

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you can ride it with the choke partially open - try a strong dose of seafoam and take it for a decent distance ride. I had the same problem with my generator during the power shutdowns here in CA. It took a couple hours of running until I could turn the choke fully off.

·
Registered
20,388 Posts
I like an approach like Donzo's where you end up riding the bike in order to fix it.:)
That's my kind of wrenching!

Seriously though the bike in question is new enough that likely nothing is seriously wrong. Fuel system & injector cleaners like SeaFoam, or Lucas Deep Cleaner given time and sufficient concentrations have had a good record of curing carb problems on our bikes. However they do make the exhaust smell rather badly. Guess one could just ride faster to get away from the smell.
May you have a good test ride whether successful or not with the choke issue..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yup I did the same with the full tank and STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer but I forgot to turn off the petcock and let the bike cut out. When it's sitting outside do you ever run it once in a while? Colorado has a more serious winter than New York (where I am), so it's cool to hear that it starts right back up in the spring. That's what I want to happen this coming winter and the following spring after I fix whatever the problem is now
I don't start it up at all. I don't even have to charge the battery. Lithium rocks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you can ride it with the choke partially open - try a strong dose of seafoam and take it for a decent distance ride. I had the same problem with my generator during the power shutdowns here in CA. It took a couple hours of running until I could turn the choke fully off.
Hey Donzo thanks for the reply, and I was nervous about riding too long on partial choke. I was afraid to go passed 20-30 minutes the first time I tried Seafoam, because I thought I might be messing up the bike. I've only had fuel injected bikes before this, so I'm just now learning about the carbs/choke

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like an approach like Donzo's where you end up riding the bike in order to fix it.:)
That's my kind of wrenching!

Seriously though the bike in question is new enough that likely nothing is seriously wrong. Fuel system & injector cleaners like SeaFoam, or Lucas Deep Cleaner given time and sufficient concentrations have had a good record of curing carb problems on our bikes. However they do make the exhaust smell rather badly. Guess one could just ride faster to get away from the smell.
May you have a good test ride whether successful or not with the choke issue..
Thanks Fred, I'm hoping for a good test ride as well. I was hoping the same, that since the bike is new maybe it's nothing major. If it doesn't idle again, then I might add more Seafoam one more time and see how it goes before taking anything else apart

1 - 20 of 47 Posts