TW200 Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
maybe his problems were all was there and the seafoam just brought them out sooner. i find that seafoam will fix problems that are borderline. small piece of dirt or something not too permament and a good maintaince product, plus it works well for a winter stabilizer
I agree, so far it’s worked well and hasn’t done anything negative to the bike. I’m always going to keep it in the tank if it might sit for a while. You’ve got a cb500x listed in the signature. How do you like it? I had a 2016 and it was the best

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
so the not so short answer is it's 99.9% the pilot jet and you describe the small orifice well it often looks like it has cross hairs inside as it is so small! I always replace the pilot (and with a larger size from an XT250 usually) but they really cannot be cleaned because even if you can get a reamer through them any build up of varnish it will quickly collect more residue and plug sometimes in a day or two. as someone who used to buy seafoam and stabil by the case I no longer use it ever and in fact still have a few cases sitting around. When a TW carb needs cleaning you have to replace the pilot jet no amount of solvent will fix it there are no shortcuts but it's a 15 minute job once you get the hang it. Last ride of the season run the ethanol fuel out and fill the tank with non ethanol premium for storage. I've trued high end ultrasonic cleaners and while they are ok for some parts they will damage the special coating on the aluminum carb body and they don't seem to be able to properly clean pilot jets I have pill bottles full of used pilots I've tried all kinds of solvents and ultrasonics and I still buy new pilot jets. While you are in the carb replace the needle seat kit and the bowl O-ring gasket, also check your crankcase oil level and if it's higher than normal replace the oil as you may have fuel drain down into the crankcase oil from a leaky needle seat

I have had a TW with 4 actual miles that needed a new pilot and cleaning and it only sat 90 days

Seafoam is like your having a heart attack so you swig whiskey to thin out your blood and about as effective - save the money and buy a new pilot from an XT250

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I am a new TW owner, purchased a 2018 brand new last year. When I took my bike out of winter storage, it was only running on full choke. I forgot to empty the gas from the carbs while in storage. After running Seafoam through the tank, it now runs on half choke. Will not idle without it. I read about the possibility of the pilot jet being clogged so I removed the float boat to check the pilot jet and main jet but there were no clogs or dirt that I could see. I removed the pilot screw plug and it was about 1.5 turns out. I turned it to 2.5 turns as I've read others have suggested. I will be starting the bike tomorrow to see if that makes a difference, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on what it might be? Would it run better if I replace the pilot jet and main, with larger ones?

The bike is pretty new with only 40 miles and I'm mad at myself for already creating a problem so soon. Thanks in advance to anyone with any information/suggestions. It's greatly appreciated, as I'm looking forward to enjoying what I know will be a great bike.

-Stef
You can try carefully removing the carburetor float bowl drain screw and carefully shooting carburetor cleaner with the included plastic straw into the float bowl. You are not filling the motor with carburetor cleaner, just hoping to flush out the trash. That carburetor float bowl drain screw needs to be opened monthly depending on weather and other riding conditions. High humidity will cause water to be in the tank and float bowl. Do not Over tighten that screw. Carburetor cleaners left in a TW-200 gas tank long term can destroy the gas tank (make holes in the gas tank). Next time before storage add some correct Stabill for the type of gasoline being used and a few ounces of Stihl two cycle oil then ride at least 30 minutes. Be sure to use the reserve fuel petcock setting for about 10 minutes also.That oil will help prevent the fuel tank from rusting and carburetor parts from sticking and etc. If you drain the tank and carburetor, rust and corrosion can start without additional correct Winterizing procedures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you cleaned the jets, put new gas and a little sea foam it should be ok when you fire it back up. If it is not, there is a very small orifice in the neck of the carburetor that occasionally gets clogged. I can't remember exactly which jet it is, pilot or main but you can run a very small needle through it from the jet side when the jet is removed. You may be able to just blast some carb cleaner through the orifice but I do the needle and then the carb cleaner.
Pilot jet, the little one, always.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
so the not so short answer is it's 99.9% the pilot jet and you describe the small orifice well it often looks like it has cross hairs inside as it is so small! I always replace the pilot (and with a larger size from an XT250 usually) but they really cannot be cleaned because even if you can get a reamer through them any build up of varnish it will quickly collect more residue and plug sometimes in a day or two. as someone who used to buy seafoam and stabil by the case I no longer use it ever and in fact still have a few cases sitting around. When a TW carb needs cleaning you have to replace the pilot jet no amount of solvent will fix it there are no shortcuts but it's a 15 minute job once you get the hang it. Last ride of the season run the ethanol fuel out and fill the tank with non ethanol premium for storage. I've trued high end ultrasonic cleaners and while they are ok for some parts they will damage the special coating on the aluminum carb body and they don't seem to be able to properly clean pilot jets I have pill bottles full of used pilots I've tried all kinds of solvents and ultrasonics and I still buy new pilot jets. While you are in the carb replace the needle seat kit and the bowl O-ring gasket, also check your crankcase oil level and if it's higher than normal replace the oil as you may have fuel drain down into the crankcase oil from a leaky needle seat

I have had a TW with 4 actual miles that needed a new pilot and cleaning and it only sat 90 days

Seafoam is like your having a heart attack so you swig whiskey to thin out your blood and about as effective - save the money and buy a new pilot from an XT250
Hey, thanks for the tips, and yeah I was actively looking for non ethanol gas. I couldn't find a station near me that had it but I'm going to keep searching. I was lucky that the pilot screw adjustment and cleaning the pilot jet worked great this time for the idling issue that I had, but I can see having to replace the pilot jet when necessary

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You can try carefully removing the carburetor float bowl drain screw and carefully shooting carburetor cleaner with the included plastic straw into the float bowl. You are not filling the motor with carburetor cleaner, just hoping to flush out the trash. That carburetor float bowl drain screw needs to be opened monthly depending on weather and other riding conditions. High humidity will cause water to be in the tank and float bowl. Do not Over tighten that screw. Carburetor cleaners left in a TW-200 gas tank long term can destroy the gas tank (make holes in the gas tank). Next time before storage add some correct Stabill for the type of gasoline being used and a few ounces of Stihl two cycle oil then ride at least 30 minutes. Be sure to use the reserve fuel petcock setting for about 10 minutes also.That oil will help prevent the fuel tank from rusting and carburetor parts from sticking and etc. If you drain the tank and carburetor, rust and corrosion can start without additional correct Winterizing procedures.
Thanks for the reply and tips, and that drain screw is so soft. I never overtightened it, but the very first time I went to open it, it started to strip. Heard about the JIS screwdriver but only after I opened it and stripped it a bit. Going to be ordering a new drain screw and two of the float bowl screws. I usually keep the tank full with the Stabil, cause I worry about the rust you mentioned. Do you change your oil as part of winterizing, or when you're pulling it out of storage?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I agree, so far it’s worked well and hasn’t done anything negative to the bike. I’m always going to keep it in the tank if it might sit for a while. You’ve got a cb500x listed in the signature. How do you like it? I had a 2016 and it was the best
i love the 500x. i had a 2018 and upgraded when the 2019 came out, what a bunch of great improvements

41 - 47 of 47 Posts