TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When on the road it amazes me how many oncoming riders wave at me. And why? Just because we are on motorcycles doesn't mean we like each other. Actually I find it distracting. Im on high alert when road riding from Chevy Caprices pulling out in front of me. And I notice Harley guys never wave. Im only half a jerk though, I do give a wave but only after the I see the other guys hand move. I don't go first because God Forbid I wave at a Harley rider. If I notice its a dual sport I know im safe.

·
Super Moderator
4,732 Posts
Old tradition - we do it over here too

With Harleys, we just put our hands over our ears ........

·
Registered
89 Posts
Maxpower, hello! I'm new to the TW! I also ride a Victory Gunner. You know, when I ride the Gunner, I wave at all motorcycles. Two wheels are two wheels. Since getting a Tdub, I noticed that the harley guys don't wave back! I never noticed how stuck up the Harley guys really are! LOL!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Realizing the thrill behind the bars is freedom that isn't experienced by all.
Having had a motorcycle since 1963 I've many wonderful memories on two wheels and have made friends of 1,000's of brethren that share the same excitement and thrill of the dirt/road.
While everyones road is different, while riding we all share the same joy balancing power and control with our brothers/sisters who ride.
No law requires a wave and if it compromises safety don't do it.
Every time I see another rider regardless of manufacturer I do wave not because of obligation but of respect and pride.
I love motorcycles, always have and always will, I feel a kinship with other riders and am honored to show it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Purple, if you guys that ride on the wrong side of the road wave to each other, then it must be very brief or you have cruise. When we were in Africa, riding on the wrong side of the road, we asked our guide what bikers did and he said if we do see any one a nod of the head will suffice.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Purple, if you guys that ride on the wrong side of the road wave to each other, then it must be very brief or you have cruise. When we were in Africa, riding on the wrong side of the road, we asked our guide what bikers did and he said if we do see any one a nod of the head will suffice.
More often a nod of the head in the UK.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I wave. I have a small chuckle to myself when I give a wave to a Harley rider while on my Goldwing knowing my ride will outperform that Harley in almost every situation. Just a pride thing. Wave though, what harm is in that. You will get the last laugh when you least expect it when your TW is pulling a belt drive to get it fixed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I usually wave too (except in intersections; there, I'm busy keeping alive) and almost all other riders wave as well. I find most Harley riders won't wave, but the occasional one does. I drive a VW Westfalia camper too. Almost all Westy drivers wave at each other too. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll wave at other bikes too when on the street. Same as when driving a classic car, when I see another one we just waive.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have a Jeep and most other Jeepers wave, good tradition. I always wave, but - On my Victory I only wave at bikes over 600lbs tho....

Kidding of course!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I really like keeping both my hands on the grips when I ride so when I do pass another oncoming bike and they wave yeah, I still kinda wave back, not every time but enough to say I do, just a couple of acknowledgment fingers. And I have a mental limit where I'll stop if it gets ridiculous. Like during Daytona Bike Week or Americade, why are folks waving then? There are 50,000 bikes jammed into one same area and the uniqueness of "Hi/Hello, I am riding a motorcycle and hey, your are too, let's wave at each other" wears thin. I won't wave, it's too stupid.

When will I initiate a wave, almost never unless it's something like February and it's in the 20's or teens and I see another nut-job like me riding around.

Donzo, I also have a Jeep (my 3rd Wrangler over 25+ years) and have never ever been waved at by another Jeep owner. But my sister-in-law who lives up around Boston says when she had a Jeep everyone would give here the Jeep-wave. Maybe it's just not a New York thing because we are mostly curmudgeons?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ride everything from Harley to Electric Unicycle. I wave to everyone. Many Harley’s don’t wave back, but it’s their loss. 😉

I do the two fingers down wave due to my many years riding Harley’s. But, I even get waves back while riding my Electric Unicycle. I guess because it’s so strange to see.

I also hold doors for women AND men. Some look at me crooked, but most appreciate and respect it.

Everyone is my friend until they decide they aren’t. 😀

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
OK boys...here ya go.
This guy has the waving thing all figured out.
Don't be this guy...
:icon_thumleft:

To Wave Or Not To Wave
By Shalom Auslander.

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community–a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets–God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys–I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at–those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet—like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?

·
Registered
19,210 Posts
Cruising a scenic mountain pass everyone gives and gets a two finger down wave when safe around here. After all we are all doing the same thing, enjoying being out in the temple of the outdoors away from crowds and depressurizing from daily stress. So very few elitists on empty twisty tarmac...adventure tour bikes, BMWs, Gnarly Davidsons, sport bikes, and even put-putting TWs all share a common greeting " Howdy! Aren't we having fun!"

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Hey, Oak...welcome to the forum.
Post early & often...just like voting!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts