TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was a out at the locale honda / yamaha shop and they didnt have any yamaha brand filters, they only had these Amazon.com: Hiflofiltro HF143 Premium Oil Filter: Automotive
41TuO0fg40L._SX450_.jpg
it has the four holes and everything looks the same as yamaha i bought one but now im hesitant to use it because of the horror stories about using the wrong filter... anyone ever use them?

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
That is the filter I use and the one Procycle sales.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
When you take off the nylon plastic filler plug look for the O-ring it likes to stick to the metal.

·
Super Moderator
17,641 Posts
Will, I'm a big guy and I basically ride full speed ahead (wide open throttle) till I reach my cruising speed. I consider that kind of hard use, so I change my oil every 1 thousand miles. I use the Mobil 1 4T Racing oil in it. Thanks for asking Will. Anytime you have questions, don't hesitate to ask bro. :D

·
Registered
604 Posts
...it has the four holes and everything looks the same as yamaha i bought one but now im hesitant to use it because of the horror stories about using the wrong filter... anyone ever use them?
What are the horror stories?

·
Super Moderator
17,641 Posts
What are the horror stories?
Jon, Yamaha boxed some of them wrong in the past, they had only 2 holes rather than the 4 needed for correct oil circulation. This is another reason to always check for oil flow at the oil check flow screw. Several bikes over the years have burned up because they only had 2 holes rather than the 4 needed. Only use a filter with 4 holes.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I use on all of my TW's the HiFlo Filtro oil filters (HF143).
I never had problems with them.

And the price (in Germany) is the best.
7,83 EURO - HiFlo Flitro HF143
10,18 EURO - K&N KN.HF143
16,50 EURO - Yamaha 5H0-13440-09-00

·
Registered
119 Posts
From what I've seen its $50 for an oil filter here in Canada. I'm pretty sure you guys can get 5 for that price. :( At least that's how much the k&n ones are.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
in bc, k&n filters at our car parts store ( lordco ) are $17 and filters at the Yamaha dealer are $16. where are you Will, up in the frozen north?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nope I'm a BC boy, Ithe problem is the local Yamaha dealer charging a ton for basic parts. Then other shops following there lead because they can I guess? Which I hope will change in the near future since people are buying more and more online.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I don't know if Canadian trash would list a filter for a t dub, but you do have a lordco, I think on 22 ave in behind bc hydro building ( at least it used to be) and they will carry a k&n

·
Super Moderator
17,641 Posts
Don't call me an expert, but I have seen years and years of abuse in an engine which is pretty much identical to yours. Way more abuse than even the worst TW owner could dream of! The only thing that wrecks these filters is (like most things in life) neglect. Really high temperatures and chemical build-up in the oil will eventually break down the glue at the edges of the gauze. Dirt, clutch plate debris and timing chain tensioner guide plastic can block the filter and the oil pump will suck a whole in the filter or the bypass valve on the filter will kick in. This is extreme neglect. See below.

A lot of people say just replace at every oil change, they're not expensive. I agree with that, but I mostly wash them because my bikes get oil changes pretty often. My theory is; when the glue starts to dull - chuck 'em!

That's the worst filter I've ever seen!!! WOW.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts