TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey!

Just finished my high fender bracket and install. Super excited!

So made up a template with cardboard and re drew it in adobe illustrator. The circle was intended to be a drain hole but I decided to wait until later to decide where to put it if it proves to be needed. Printed it out and spray adhesived it to a L channel of aluminum I ordered from aircraft spruce. The best place I found to order fabricating materials in Canada.
bracket 1.jpg
I cut it out with band saw, files, belt sander and steel wool. The paper can be difficult to remove even with a heat gun and varsol. I used lepage general purpose and generally it will heat release with a heat gun. You'll want to make sure not to overheat your piece when cutting or the template can shift.
bracket 2.jpg
I neglected to leave enough room for the bolts so I had to get creative with countersinking them which is fine since it allows more wheel clearance. I also found I needed to make spacers to get the bolted area clear of the forks. I also needed 1/2" longer bolts. The fender I ordered from fortnine.ca
bracket 3.jpg
And the end result..love'n it.
bracket 4.jpg
Now I've been told welcome to owning a dirtbike. lol
bracket 5.jpg
Considering painting the bracket dark metallic grey like the rear plastics/gas tank and have to update my Winona's make over thread with her latest look.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey!

So made up a template with cardboard and re drew it in adobe illustrator. Printed it out and spray adhesived it to a L channel of aluminum I ordered from aircraft spruce. The best place I found to order fabricating materials in Canada.
View attachment 153762
I cut it out with band saw, files, belt sander and steel wool. The paper can be difficult to remove even with a heat gun and varsol.
View attachment 153770
I neglected to leave enough room for the bolts so I had to get creative with countersinking them which is fine since it allows more wheel clearance. I also found I needed to make spacers to get the bolted area clear of the forks. I also needed 1/2" longer bolts. The fender I ordered from fortnine.ca
View attachment 153778
View attachment 153786
View attachment 153794
Considering painting the bracket dark metallic grey like the rear plastics/gas tank and have to update my Winona's make over thread with her latest look.
Very nice! Loving the round headlight also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
And if you think the front of your engine looks dirty now...just wait. :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Very nice!

Aircraft spruce is a great place .... locall try metals r us in burnside for material .... they have "off cuts" racks of material out back that you can search through.

I've seen many an aircraft part made by "profesionals" that aren't as nice as your bracket. Nice finish work.;)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice!

Aircraft spruce is a great place .... locall try metals r us in burnside for material .... they have "off cuts" racks of material out back that you can search through.

I've seen many an aircraft part made by "profesionals" that aren't as nice as your bracket. Nice finish work.;)
Thanks! My shop practices started off more as art then utility but incorporating both is even more rewarding. I've heard about metals r us but I don't get into town for months at a time. I may have to pop in next time though and pick up commonly used materials if the prices are that good.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks! My shop practices started off more as art then utility but incorporating both is even more rewarding. I've heard about metals r us but I don't get into town for months at a time. I may have to pop in next time though and pick up commonly used materials if the prices are that good.
Just ask to see the off cut racks they have them organized by material/length etc .... and they have gift cards!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hey!

So made up a template with cardboard and re drew it in adobe illustrator. The circle was intended to be a drain hole but I decided to wait until later to decide where to put it if it proves to be needed. Printed it out and spray adhesived it to a L channel of aluminum I ordered from aircraft spruce. The best place I found to order fabricating materials in Canada.
View attachment 153762
I cut it out with band saw, files, belt sander and steel wool. The paper can be difficult to remove even with a heat gun and varsol. I used lepage general purpose and generally it will heat release with a heat gun. You'll want to make sure not to overheat your piece when cutting or the template can shift.
View attachment 153770
View attachment 153778
View attachment 153786
View attachment 153794
Would you be able to send me a copy of the file? I could draw it up and save it as a dxf or dwg file that could be made available to members? Or make a printable one with dimensions?

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Lyterx, the top profile would need a little tweaking in order to match the OEM rectangular headlight, cowling and retaining bolt, etc. Very doable if artist author wants to share her intellectual property;) Nice offer, a great way to take TrailWoman's good work further.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Hey!

View attachment 153762

View attachment 153778
View attachment 153786

Nice job. This all makes my wire, zip ties, and hammer method seem so crude. Oh, guess mine is. Again, good job.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'd love to make it downloadable. I need to add washers and drain holes so when I do I'll measure the bolt holes and edit the template for the stock cowling.

Edit..It just dawned on me that if I'm taking it apart again I can trace the inside which will make cutting easier provided you use the same type of 1/4" aluminum L channel. I'll offer up both templates so you can use which ever one works better for you.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Haha..I might have to start cleaning it.... to keep the weight down.;)

(Mud build up).
Hey, TW...

Give Wynona's clean undersides of mud catching places a good shot of PAM cooking spray, or something similar.
Rinse, mud-ride, repeat.
I think Silicone spray would work, too but I've never tried it.

Keeping mud-weight down = Lighter handling, quicker acceleration, shorter stops.
And it just looks better!
But you knew that...:grin:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For sure...I've been consider silicon spray for that. Mostly as a chain lube but also to repel dirt.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Yeah, let us know about the silicone...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts