TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 TW 200
Bike dies out at higher rpms. Restarts right away. Drained and cleaned fuel tank. Petcock flows well. Thought it acted like gas starvation. Bike runs well. Starts right up and all is well until under heavy acceleration and then dies out. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Is the tank over filled? We had some trouble on our Ca models with too much gas in the tank. Some venting problem which cleared up at lower speeds and lower fuel level.

·
Super Moderator
18,001 Posts
Dirty/clogged gas filter?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was thinking vapor lock on tank. No vent line from tank so thinking vent is in fuel cap? No exterior fuel filter. Was looking at parts diagram and can someone verify that petcock has a sock filter on it.It just started and has run well so for last couple of years so I don't think float position would change. Acts like fuel problem but could be electrical. Will check for cracked hoses. Is the coil located under the tank? And can you troubleshoot coil?
Thanks for the suggestions

·
Super Moderator
18,001 Posts
If it's not a fuel filter, then it probably is the screens on the petcock. I doubt it's electrical. Pull it and inspect it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's my sons daily transport so trying to help him out. After hurricane Irma whacked us we were hard up for working gas stations so he was filling up with 5 gal. jugs. Will continue down the fuel issue road.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It’s a very safe bet that your post-Irma fuel had more water in it than it should. I would drain the tank again, run the carb dry and (optional but a good idea) clean the carb. Also check the spark plug isn’t fouled or cracked. Then get some marine grade (ethanol free) gas and maybe some Seafoam or similar and see how it runs.

Single cylinders shut off when they miss fire since there is no other cylinder to keep it running till it’s next time to ignite. What you are describing sounds exactly what I experienced after buying fuel from a station with a bad seal on their tanks after heavy rain. It was fine till I got to hwy speed then it would die and I’d have to coast off of the road and restart. Then repeat again and again. Barely made it home and immediately drained all the fuel and poured it in the truck. Cleaned the plug and used ethanol free gas and solved the issue.

Good luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would do a flow fuel test into a container. I don't know what a good flow rate might be, but I would say that if your get a cup or so in a minute, it should be enough. That test should also rule out a fuel tank vapor lock if you get constant flow. Also, the petcock picks up off the bottom of the tank when it's on reserve. If you've been running questionable fuel out of jugs, the reserve position may be clogged by sediment, or picking up water on the bottom of the tank. try the flow rate on both regular and reserve settings.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just checked mine, which is a 08 with stock fuel system. The petcock does not appear to have a screen in it like. If you still haven't figured it out, I'll do a flow test to compare with your results if you like. Mine runs perfect.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just for reference. I got 1 cup of fuel flow from my stock system in less than 20 seconds. (disconnected the fuel hose from carb, and timed one cup of flow from hose in normal, not reserve petcock setting) Also, although the stock petcock does not have a sediment catch bowl with screen, I believe the regular and reserve intake fuel tubes do have screens which could become clogged.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not a problem at all. I had the tank off a couple weeks ago doing the suspension upgrades, so I knew how easy it was to get to. Besides, after I made the comment, I got curious myself. The whole thing only took about 15 minutes and half of that time was spent locating a suitable, measurable container to use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts