TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was yesterday going around with some of my TW friends
Basically all the TWs when max throttle at high speed they produce a lil bit of clear smoke, a very small small small puff, I guess is kinda normal
But one of the bikes produced a grey puff of smoke, sometime even one after another, like 2-3 puffs of smoke in 4-5 seconds
The smoke puff is kinda "big" like the size of a tire diameter, greysh coloured, and only when you use throttle a lot or when at high speed you open it completely

What can cause this?
Maybe idle mix screw?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
The rings may be starting to get a bit worn. Black smoke is usually the carb misadjusted. I usually will just keep a good eye on the oil level and (if it's not real cold) add Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer or use 20/50 weight on the next oil change. The Lucas may tighten clutches up which can adjust out. If you ride cold freezing weather I wouldn't do anything other than watch that oil level.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rings may be starting to get a bit worn. Black smoke is usually the carb misadjusted. I usually will just keep a good eye on the oil level and (if it's not real cold) add Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer or use 20/50 weight on the next oil change. The Lucas may tighten clutches up which can adjust out. If you ride cold freezing weather I wouldn't do anything other than watch that oil level.
So I should make the mix a bit leaner maybe? Like 1/4 or 2/4 of a turn in?

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
Likely over-filled with oil - but you may want to check his air filter first, in case it's got either wet, or excess oil / fuel in there

Always look for the simplest fix first ......

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Likely over-filled with oil - but you may want to check his air filter first, in case it's got either wet, or excess oil / fuel in there

Always look for the simplest fix first ......
What do you mean with overfilled with oil? Like instead of putting 1 liter he put 1,2 liters?
Air filter is clean

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
Pretty much, yeah - easy to do if both wheels are not level

On the air filter, take a look at the tube underneath the air filter box - if there's anything in that tube, that may be the problem

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Sounds like oil smoke, maybe rings, maybe valve stem seals, maybe both. If it only happens after extended high speed / wide open throttle runs I wouldn't worry about it. When / if it reaches a point where it is smoking all the time, or nearly all the time then fix it.

You can play with the carburetor if you want to but I really doubt it will make a difference. If the bike is running well I would leave the carburetor alone as chances are it will run worse after "adjusting the carb." and it will still smoke.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The oil level is good I guess since the bottle he uses are always motul 10W40 of 1 liters, so he can't do more than that, the oil elvel is good too checking the transparent part on the right bottom part of the bike
For the rings and valves, what do you mean?

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
There are two things that stop oil leaking from the combustion chamber

The first is the piston rings. If these are worn, then you will have a lack of compression, and the bike will burn oil

The second is the valve guides. As the name suggests, these are two little bits of metal that “guide” the valves up and down making sure that no combustion gasses or oil gets past the moving valve stem

Attending to either requires that you fist remove the cylinder head, which is why it pays to check the easier bits first

If you want to check the piston rings or the valve guides, this can be done fairly easily by using a “compression tester”. This is a simply device that goes into the plug hole, and measures the amount of pressure created by the piston when the engine is turning over (without firing) …..

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I was taught for a motor that smokes if you hold your hand near the muffler outlet while the engine is revving, if your hand has an oily film it’s motor/piston/valve related. If no oily film, but still smoke, it’s carb related. We don’t have to worry about coolant/antifreeze, which complicates the whole oily film interpretation thing. This could be an old tale told to me by my Dad, but he kept dozens of farm implements running for years. Holding a clean white paper towel near the outlet can also show you the color of oil if it is being exhausted in excess. Don’t go burnin your hand though. Cheers

If anyone thinks this is just my Dad putting one over on me, let me know. He was a reputed joker/prankster.

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
If you hold the palm of your hand near to the end of the exhaust, then smell your hand, it will tell you if the bike is running hot (lean), rich (petrol), or spitting oil - just one of those things you do almost unconsciously - thanks for reminding me .....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts