TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 tw200. I took it on the freeway but was doing 65 max and was getting passed. Can I bump it to 70-75 even if the needle is in the redline and the bike is screaming? Will the engine blow? How long can I ride like this with the needle on the redline? Will anything happen at all?

6'0 170 lbs and ride in la if that helps

Thanks guys

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Is getting passed a violation of your civil rights, er sumthin'?

Just kidding. But you're on a single-cylinder, 196cc motorcycle, so some adjustment in riding style will be in order. Out on the slab you'll have to content yourself with passing them at the gas stations rather than keeping up with them on the road.

First of all the TW's speedometer is usually a bit optimistic. I doubt you were even doing 65. But at 65 you've got nothing left to get you out of trouble.

The motors can take it. Ronnydog and I did a thousand mile "all slab" Iron Butt on them. 22 continuous hours between 60 and 65mph. Plenty have toured on them. But I think anyone whose done any serious TW road miles will tell you to relax, maintain reasonable speed, stay out of their way and enjoy the ride. Trying to squeeze 5 more mph out of a stock TW will mean compromises you may not want to live with.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to know if I can open throttle it until 75 and how long I can ride like that. Will any damages happen? engine wise? etc etc

·
Registered
369 Posts
my thoughts are that if oil is full and valves are adjusted properly, stock gearing and jetting is right, whatever speed on the flat ground you can obtain shouldn't hurt it. Just don't go over that speed going down hill. keep an eye on the oil level if traveling any distance. But why would you want to go over 65 mph on a TW? let the cars pass you. no matter how fast you go on a TW someones gonna pass you

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When should I change my oil? i got thebike with 256 miles on it. It has about 1200 now. when I stand the bike straigt when its off, I look at the oil and it goes over the first line. However, when I turn it on and look at it, its near the bottom line. Is this good or bad? when should i change it? and what oil to use for best performance.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
It can take running WOT, whatever MPH that WOT proves to be. The reason you're being passed so often at 65 is that you're not really even going 65. I think that if you GPS your bike you'll probably find that to be true.

If you're asking whether or not you can expect to maintain a true 70 mph (where the cars live), no.

Your oil level is correct. You should only check it if the bike has been sitting overnight or at least for several minutes after shutdown. The sightglass is clear wnen the bike is running because all of the oil is being pumped elsewhere in the engine rather than sitting in the sump.

You're overdue for an oil change if this is your first.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Depends on the oi and the useage of your bike.. (You're really gunna dig the oil info which is about to ensue
) I'm staying out of it.

But this is your first oil change. Regardless of oil type, the first change is fairly ctitical. There's a lot of debris floating around in a new engine during initial break-in and it needs to be removed from the filter screens and have its oil replaced much sooner than it will later on.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Buy a cheap tach. Redline is either 9,500 or 10,200 depending on who you listen to. I use 9,500 rpm and so I don't excessively torture the engine. It will cruise all day long between 8,800 and 9,000 rpm.

9,000 rpm with 14t / 50t sprockets works out to 70 mph.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oil Thread!

Change it often with an oil that is rated for wet clutch motorcycle use.

The rest is detail. You get to choose the level of detail you prefer!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I rode the TW to the cities (Mpls., St. Paul, MN) from northern MN 225 miles one way and stayed off the interstate and I'm old (60), and I even passed a car on the hiway with a 55 mph speed limit. I enjoy 80 mpg hiway and 90-95 mpg on the back roads, I even got 100 mpg a few times. After many years of motorcycling with many different bikes, the TW along with my Honda Silverwing 600 scooter are my favorite bikes ever. my current crop of bikes are the TW with 15000 miles, the silverwing with 63000 miles, and Honda rebel with 18500 miles.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Man,80 mpg,I'm going to have to change my main jet down to a 128.....when I rejetted from a 126,I put in a 130 main.I've only received around 65 mpg!.I usually ride(on the road) between 45-55ish mph..........hmmmmm?.Filters,oil and air are clean,tires are properly inflated...using amsoil M/C oil,10w-40.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts