TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife had her hip joint replaced a few weeks ago. Im blown away how this major surgery was so uninvasive. 9am they sent her into surgery. 5pm she can put weight on it. 3 weeks later we are getting into arguments because im telling her to rest and stop cleaning the house.
If you ever are a candidate for hip replacement you want the Anterior method

·
Registered
19,426 Posts
^ +1
Right you are Maxpower.
I had anterior procedure done last Thanksgiving and two months later was riding for the lunar eclipse on a solo desert camping trip.
My recovery was much quicker than folks I know who did the posterior approach which entails the cutting, rather than spreading, of muscle groups.
If considering the surgery fear not. Taking a steroid injection instead only forestalls the inevitable and postpones surgery by three months. My steroid injection worked for a week then pain returned and plagued me the next months for several group and solo rides where I moaned a lot.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hell that is a quick recovery. Do they offer that method for knee replacements as well, because the VA owes me one.
Surgery and medicine sure have come a long way. My pops, Rex, had a kind of stroke a couple years ago. Back in the day they would have taken an auger and drilled a hole in his head and hit him with a hammer. He went in on a Saturday morning and walked out Sunday afternoon, The VA in PHX took pics of his head, found blood clots, old and new, drilled a tiny hole, got in there with a tube and poker and yarded all that shit outta there. He now remembers things he forgot 30 years ago. And his other minor ailments went away. He'll be 88 on Halloween and is just getting started. Amazing.

·
Registered
19,426 Posts
Recovery from knee replacement surgery unfortunately is not so quick,easy nor pain free as several here can attest to. Supposedly hips are a breeze by comparison. Best wishes NVcowboy.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Recovery from knee replacement surgery unfortunately is not so quick,easy nor pain free as several here can attest to. Supposedly hips are a breeze by comparison. Best wishes NVcowboy.
Sitting here sharing this with my gal as she has had both. Hip is nothing compared to knee. She has some spare parts put in, but everything functions like new!!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
If and when it needs to be done I want mine with zerk fittings. I think my Moms would have lasted longer if there had been a way to give it a few shots of Bel-Ray.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yeah that seems to be all I hear about knees. New ones are more trouble than the bad ones. Just trying to get a step back on my hockey game. Getting fed up with these little shitz skating circles around me. I used to be that kid. I guess the switch to coaching is closer than I thought.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I can only speak from observation. My wife is petite, has light build with a BMI of maybe a -1. She is asked all the time how much time she spends in the gym by her vascular arms and legs. (She wouldn't know what a set of curls was unless it was in a hair dressers chair) But she came through the hip surgery like a champ
My douche Brother in Law had both knees replaced at the same time. While he lacks intestinal fortitude, he is back racing mx again. His life is exponentially better and had zero regrets.
To me, if you need it done,my thinking is to have it done while time is on your side. This way you can get back to having fun and making the most out of life while you can

·
Registered
19,426 Posts
^+1
Do the surguries, the sooner the better.
Why wait and suffer when you could be instead recovering your quality of life and moving onward?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
l can understand why some might wait. Life's obligations like family or making the mortgage. Plus the thought of having the top of you femur cut off by someone you don't know past a few minutes in a exam room. And I don't like losing any body part,teeth,hair,anything. But it's definitely better to go
surgery at an younger age if you can

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
I think in my family heritage it is common that we have bad backs. Grand dad, dad and my brother all had the same lower back issues and I too have it. Modern medical procedures were not available for grand dad and dad and they both suffered the last 15 years of their lives. My brother has had 3 surgeries on his back and the first two were miserable failures that sent him on the path of opioid addiction with pills all day and every day for 2 years. The third surgery was his get out of jail free card. No more constant pain and no more pain medications so he can get back to living and enjoying life and activities. My attitude at this point is to go as long as I can bare the pain and try to avoid the activities that inflame my lower back such as bouncing around on a TW. Doctors will and have prescribed pain medications for me but I rarely ever even take a pill because I have seen the results of living in a false state of a drugged existence. For me I have found that staying active is my best medicine but keeping the activities to low impact stuff like fishing, hunting and kayaking instead of blasting through the woods on a bike. I won't be doing any horseback riding ever again and I just have to avoid most heavy lifting. I can at this point look at the task in front of me and already know should I do it or should I get help or do it with some other method than to just grab a hold and lift. Simple things like carrying a 5 gallon bucket of paint will hurt me for a few days but carrying 2 buckets at the same time does not cause my back to go out because it was evened out instead of lop sided. I just have to go slower and think before I act where ever heavy lifting is concerned. These days I look at a job and know for sure this is going to hurt if I don't do it right. I will have the surgery some day in the future but with good planning I hope to put it off for as long as possible. Last winter I was on my back for 2 weeks because I slipped in the driveway and in catching myself from falling I twisted my back just right and put me completely out of commission. The MRI I had last year showed the doctor exactly where the problem is and the exact same condition my brother had but I am just not ready to go under the knife yet after my brother spent the better part of 2 years and 3 surgeries before they got it right. My best friend has had the same knee replaced twice and it is still not good but way better than before.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,426 Posts
Gary, sounds like you're about ready for a Hyundai Iron Man suit to help with the chores. hyu suit.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts