TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Historical Marketing Materials

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Foundatown 
#1 ·
I've been curious as to how Yamaha originally marketed the TW200, but I haven't been able to find anything online. I'm talking magazine ads, photography, product reviews by writers, that kind of stuff. How was this bike envisioned by the manufacturer and the public early in its release? I'm looking for more than just 'farm bike'. There's gotta be promotional materials out there that provide more insight into how Yamaha conceptualized the bike themselves.

A lot of people see the TW200 as a 'dual sport' bike, but frankly, now that I have one, I don't think it is a dual sport bike. I think it's been repurposed as that by the public and sanctioned as that by Yamaha to keep the bike relevant in the mind of the consumer. The TW200 is not high performance enough to serve in a contemporary dual sport role. I like the bike a lot, but frankly, I don't know what it is. I'd sure love to see some historical marketing materials to get an idea of what it really was in its early years.

#2 ·
Well, there is always Shinji Kazama's 1987 ride to the North Pole. No one has since done that.
Flag Vehicle Ice

He did it as a privateer, and it was on a mutant TW200/TTR hybrid....wait a minute, I have a mutant TW/TTR too!
Mine would never make it to the North Pole though.:)

Mr. Kazama later on tried to ride the bike to the South Pole but was defeated. . Seriously injured in the classic Paris-to-Dakar race he then retired. Quite a man.

Don't recall Yamaha playing this for its marketing purposes though

#6 ·
The manufacturers have their own set of parameters for labeling a motorcycle as a dual sport bike. Individual riders, also have parameters which, are close to those of the manufacturers. Just because a bike like the TW 200 doesn't fly down the runway at mach 1, doesn't mean it's not a dual sport. The term Dual Sport means just that. It's capable of at least TWO forms of sports/fun. Many who own TW's ride them on the street only. Some, ride them primarily off road. Then, there's some, that ride them 50/50.
The intent of use for the TW200 can be and often is, viewed differently by each buyer/rider. If I'm not mistaken, the TW is actually or was labeled from the factory as an agricultural bike. But, that was in the early years of production. I'm not sure they're still using that form of a description or, intent etc.
Scott

Reactions: Foundatown
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.