TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving and I need to drive 550 miles to get to the ferry. I want to bring my TW and my subaru forester. I don't want to trailer because they are very expensive to put on a ferry. Has anyone used a motorcycle hitch carrier with the TW? I think the weight limit is 250 lbs and the bike plus carrier would be 300lbs.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the bike on the carrier. As long as it is properly secured. Lots of information out there on that.
I would think the only concern would be the car handling the weight. Maybe get 350 pounds of sandbags. Put them as far back in the car as you can and see how it handles.

·
Registered
996 Posts
And if it handles poorly ^^^^; when you then put the bike on the carrier - put the sandbags in the front passenger seat to even out the load and get your steering back! :)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The Subaru Forester does not have a hitch designed to carry that much weight.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't want to overload the tongue weight on the smaller 1-1/4" hitch receivers found on Subarus. I'm not even sure you'd find a suitable hitch carrier with that small a neck on it. I did see a 1-1/4" to the more common 2" adapter at O'Reilley the other day, but no way in hell I'd use one for more than carrying a couple bicycles. It might be a better/safer idea to trailer it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand this is not ideal and it will be for one time or emergency use only. The subaru does have a 2 inch hitch receiver. My wife will be with me. If the road starts to look very bad, construction, frost heaves, I can hop on it and ride for a while. I just don't want to ride the tw for 550 miles in high elevations.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Last post seems like a reasonable approach to safely deal with the move within the given restraints. Budgeting a little extra travel time might also be wise. flat,800x800,070,f.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called the Ferry and sure enough it is only $10 more to bring a trailer vs ride the motorcycle. I will trailer it down. I spent a few hours researching it and hearing your opinions I will pass. If I ever get enough money to buy a big tundra or similar then I might try the hitch carrier but till then I will pass.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've hauled my TW200 on a hitch carrier on my 2015 Subaru Forester. No problem with my trip. Watch driveways into/out of stores, gas stations and such. It did sag the rear, raising my headlights, but nothing that was dangerous in the execution.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I had a friend haul my TW from NYC to his house in NJ for similar reasons, I didn't want to bring a trailer and only had room for one bike (and it wasn't the TW). So he bought it home to bring in his enclosed trailer.

He showed up with a Subaru with a VersaHaul carrier which as folks know that have them:
1) they are the best you can buy
2) they by themselves are HEAVY AS HELL even without the bike on it.

We loaded the TW and to say the least... it was not pretty. I'll see if I can have him send me a picture of it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It has plenty of power to tow small things (Imprezza looks to be ~2000lbs), but it doesn't have the subframe rigidity to carry a major load off that hitch receiver. Towing is pulling, hitch carriers are all tongue weight and you have to factor in distance from where they would have rated its tongue capacity for.

For example (values approximated), if the rated tongue weight on your car is 500lbs, they're rating that for their stock tow hitch at say 4in back from the receiver. If you stick a motorcycle carrier in there, the load is going to be at least 16in (4x, or more) that distance since you can't carry the full weight of the bike right up next to the car. A gentleman named Archimedes figured out a long time ago that the further out on a lever you impart force, that the effective force at the fulcrum was multiplied by the distance, while its effective range was divided. So 500lbs at 4in from the hitch and 125lbs at 16in from the hitch are the same load. Trying to carry 300lbs of motorcycle 16in from the hitch is 2.4 times the vehicles rated tongue load -if- your hitch carrier is super slim at 16" from the hitch. At 24" or so (which is closer to what my carrier looks like) it's closer to 3.6 times a rated 500lb tongue load.

Then you have to consider it's not a static load. The vehicle is moving, and the more it bobs up and down, the more that load is going to be multiplied. With an overloaded suspension that isn't designed to cope with that much weight to the rear, the bobbing is going to be even more pronounced, and if you happen to bottom out the shock load from that would be orders of magnitude more than the rated tongue capacity.

The short answer is, tow it, and load your trailer properly so that the load is biased about 55/45 toward the front/tongue of the trailer. That will give you an entirely reasonable tongue loading with good tow manners, and any stresses involved will be accounted for by the vehicles design at or below its rated tow capacity. You won't exceed 2000lbs with a small trailer and a TW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The short answer is, tow it, and load your trailer properly so that the load is biased about 55/45 toward the front/tongue of the trailer. That will give you an entirely reasonable tongue loading with good tow manners, and any stresses involved will be accounted for by the vehicles design at or below its rated tow capacity. You won't exceed 2000lbs with a small trailer and a TW.

·
Registered
793 Posts
It has plenty of power to tow small things (Imprezza looks to be ~2000lbs), but it doesn't have the subframe rigidity to carry a major load off that hitch receiver. Towing is pulling, hitch carriers are all tongue weight and you have to factor in distance from where they would have rated its tongue capacity for.

For example (values approximated), if the rated tongue weight on your car is 500lbs, they're rating that for their stock tow hitch at say 4in back from the receiver. If you stick a motorcycle carrier in there, the load is going to be at least 16in (4x, or more) that distance since you can't carry the full weight of the bike right up next to the car. A gentleman named Archimedes figured out a long time ago that the further out on a lever you impart force, that the effective force at the fulcrum was multiplied by the distance, while its effective range was divided. So 500lbs at 4in from the hitch and 125lbs at 16in from the hitch are the same load. Trying to carry 300lbs of motorcycle 16in from the hitch is 2.4 times the vehicles rated tongue load -if- your hitch carrier is super slim at 16" from the hitch. At 24" or so (which is closer to what my carrier looks like) it's closer to 3.6 times a rated 500lb tongue load.

Then you have to consider it's not a static load. The vehicle is moving, and the more it bobs up and down, the more that load is going to be multiplied. With an overloaded suspension that isn't designed to cope with that much weight to the rear, the bobbing is going to be even more pronounced, and if you happen to bottom out the shock load from that would be orders of magnitude more than the rated tongue capacity.

And as much as I like my Subaru its "frame is slightly thicker than a popcan. I'm exagerating but the point being that that metal is easy to destroy and expensive to repair. Lowes has often trailers capable of MC carrying that are like 600 summolians and a much better idea.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
FWIW, I believe the tow capacity for a Subaru CVT is 1500 lbs, and probably 150 Ibs tongue weight. Was considering one a while back, but passed since I frequently tow a 2000 lbs trailer. Decided to keep the Outback with the 4-speed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts