TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Yes there are. Several threads on the topic in fact. I have one.
It is wide enough for the ATV rear tire mod. It tilts and pivots, making loading a dream.

Here's some photos of it. This first photo shows it mounted to the front receiver hitch on my truck. The carrier tilts with a spring lock tab. Just drive the bike up onto the rack, it will balance and tilt forward when the front tire reaches it's end.

The rack comes complete with a loading ramp that slides in and out. Here you see it out and tilted, ready to roll the TW up. I start the bike, place it in gear, then roll it up. When the rack tips, I hit the kill button to stall the motor while keeping both hands on the grips.

Here you can see the locking bar. It is spring loaded and cocked back and held with the L shape to a vertical bar. Once the bike is up and tipped forward, I hit the kill button, then kick the L lever to trip it and lock the rail in the carry position.

Here's the carrier in the rail in the carry position locked in place. The ramp is still extended, but it just slides back under the rail.

Here is the ramp stowed.

Here is a photo of the TW's rear tire in the rail. The ramp is still extended and the retaining clip laying on the ground. That clip keeps the ramp from migrating out while driving down the road.

This photo shows the wide ATV tire mod on the TW is easily accommodated in the wide rail.

With the bike now loaded and the rail tipped forward, I can kick the spring loaded lever to lock it in the stow position.

I use a bungie to fix the rear tire to the rail. I doubt it would come out with the front forks strapped down, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Another angle of the tire retained to the rail. This time from the inside view.

Along with the tie downs on the forks, the bungie on the rear tire, I have a safety strap around the bike to the Bull Bar on the front bumper. Just in case....

Inside view of the safety retaining strap and one of the fork straps holding the bike to the rack.

And last, but not least, the beast itself; a TW200 slightly modified and in it's habitat. Ha! Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Ski Pro! I like the way you customized your TW. Any links to the carrier? I don't recognize the model from my shopping. Also, I would like to know how you did the camo on your bike. Did you buy the components that way, or did you do it yourself?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I got it so many years ago, I all can tell you is that I bought it off eBay for around $400 and that it is rated for 600 pounds. The seller listed this carrier in both 600 and 400 lb load capacities.
I'll see if I can recall or find further info for you. I do recall it was a seller out of Florida and that I live in California and surprised that the price included shipping. The seller was very popular as you can imagine. I've carried my BMW F650GS Dakar as well as a KX250 Kawasaki on this carrier all over the West. No problems.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That's the Rage Power Sports 84" Ramp - $424 on Amazon

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Anyone have a hitch carrier that also acts as a hitch receiver extension? It would be nice to be able to load the bike and then attach a light trailer.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it so many years ago, I all can tell you is that I bought it off eBay for around $400 and that it is rated for 600 pounds. The seller listed this carrier in both 600 and 400 lb load capacities.
I'll see if I can recall or find further info for you. I do recall it was a seller out of Florida and that I live in California and surprised that the price included shipping. The seller was very popular as you can imagine. I've carried my BMW F650GS Dakar as well as a KX250 Kawasaki on this carrier all over the West. No problems.
I was wondering if that was California forest in the background. I'm getting a TW for the Tahoe National Forest, mostly up around Foresthill-Robinson's flat area. I thought Mendocino would be a cool place to ride, and even the desert in Northern Nevada. You need a TW to get away from the hordes these days!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Anyone have a hitch carrier that also acts as a hitch receiver extension? It would be nice to be able to load the bike and then attach a light trailer.
I know there are extension pieces that have two receivers, one for towing and one for a rack. Search "dual hitch receivers". Look closely at specs and intended use - some are limited to flat towing a car, and have little tongue wt.capacity.

I use a Mototote MTX on the back of my camper. For steel, it's relatively light at 65 lbs, has a 600 lb capacity, and wide wheel trays.

I looked up my old Amazon order, and it's not currently available. I paid $540, and got $90 off, for $450 plus tax. Company has upped their price to $600, ouch!

My trailer's receiver is only rated for 300 lbs, so I added solid anchors and support the ends with chains and turnbuckles.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I was wondering if that was California forest in the background. I'm getting a TW for the Tahoe National Forest, mostly up around Foresthill-Robinson's flat area. I thought Mendocino would be a cool place to ride, and even the desert in Northern Nevada. You need a TW to get away from the hordes these days!
Great! I've ridden just about everything out of Foresthill including China Flat trail 5 both forwards and backwards. Ha! WST out of Robinson's as well. I've dual sported the Mendocino coast, but didn't come across much in the way of single track trails.
Once all these fires die down and we get some rain, there's a few of us in the foothills looking to gather for a ride. Let's keep in touch. I'm out of Placerville BTW. Are you near?

·
Super Moderator
19,732 Posts
Ski, that just has to be the best paint job ever. Why not paint the tires too?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Another angle of the tire retained to the rail. This time from the inside view.
View attachment 216720

Along with the tie downs on the forks, the bungie on the rear tire, I have a safety strap around the bike to the Bull Bar on the front bumper. Just in case....
View attachment 216721

Inside view of the safety retaining strap and one of the fork straps holding the bike to the rack.
View attachment 216722

And last, but not least, the beast itself; a TW200 slightly modified and in it's habitat. Ha! Cheers!
View attachment 216723
Amazing carrier, in theory would haul a pretty big mc. On the camo, very nice job, however it's done. How is it done btw??

Ski, I'm also curious about how steady the unit rides after it's all lashed in for transport. Is there a lot of jiggling and rattling or does it pretty much stay put. I'm thinking about the "slop" or wiggle room in the square hitch hole, or whatever you call it.

Thanks for a great report and pics.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Ski, I'm also curious about how steady the unit rides after it's all lashed in for transport. Is there a lot of jiggling and rattling or does it pretty much stay put. I'm thinking about the "slop" or wiggle room in the square hitch hole, or whatever you call it.
I use one of these;
Amazon.com: CURT 22321 Anti-Rattle Hitch Pin Shim Device, Fits 2-Inch Receiver, 1/2-In Hole: Automotive

It fits inside the carrier arm. When then installed, the pin bolts the receiver to the carrier and eliminates any wobble. Works great!!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
That's the Rage Power Sports 84" Ramp - $424 on Amazon
That sure looks like the same one I bought off eBay. If it were me, I'd buy again, but from Amazon just for the customer service.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Seems like the good carriers have some way of capturing the front wheel but in doing so makes the carrier directional. A riding buddy has lent me an old, unknown brand, steel carrier that was laying in his stables for years. It lacks a front wheel capture. What at first I thought was a weakness, has turned out to be a feature. The ability to load and unload from either side has come in handy on more than one occasion. Returning to the staging area at the end of a ride and finding my FJ blocked in by another vehicle doesn't require repositioning prior to loading. While unloading is always done in the forward direction, backing the bike off the carrier is always an option too.

Another thing worth mentioning is the longer the loading ramp, the better. 3 & 4 foot ramps require more effort to load the bike, maybe even requiring you to start the bike and load using it's engine. A 6 foot ramp is easier to load with just pushing the bike. You might not always be loading on level ground.

Add friction strips to the ramp or paint it and throw sand on the wet paint and let dry. Both will give better traction and minimize loading drama.

Using a hitch carrier is a good reason to be a belt & suspenders kind of guy. Use whatever straps you think are necessary to tie down the bike, then use two more. Dropping your bike off the carrier can be an expensive embarrassment for you but can have deadly consequences for those behind you. Don't skimp on tie downs!

After your bike is loaded, engage a buddy to follow you on a test ride. Hit the potholes, railroad tracks and speed bumps and see how your bike responds. Your buddies perspective will be more valuable than yours. He will see things you don't and the strapping down technique of your bike will evolve.

Expect to employ some kind of hitch stabilizer to minimize noise/wobble. Some use two to control both vertical & horizontal movement. High grade metal is a must, you'll really torque that puppy down.

You could be opening a can of worms if the loaded bike obscures your license plate or tail lights. Check with your state. The plate may need to be relocated.

If the carrier doesn't come with additional lighting consider throwing on a set of magnetic mount tail lights, especially if the vehicle tail lights are blocked by the bike.

After you've gathered all the bits and pieces together, do a couple of trial runs with the focus on loading & unloading. Create a checklist and use it. Avoid talking to bystanders while loading/unloading, the distraction increases the chance of something being overlooked.

Phew! Lots to a hitch carrier, huh?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts