TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend just picked up a 04 TW200 and he was able to pick up a trailer hitch as well. I am not sure what the official name of the hitch is because he picked it up on Craigslist but here is a picture of a similar one: http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Kev250R/1002001839.jpg Do you have any idea if I'd be able to put this on a Toyota Camry? I think I may be able to get the hitch attached but I'm not so sure about the car being able to handle 300 extra pounds on the back of the frame. It may be fine but I'm not sure. Anyone in similar situations or have experience with this?

·
Registered
572 Posts
The Toy could probably carry it; but I don't know if you'll be able to lower your headlight beams enough.

I've looked at hitches for my Solara(2 door Camry), and they are a very specific design.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I'm inclined to say, no.... I put my bike on the back of my small 1/4 ton Ranger. The headlight beam were in the trees and the hitch would drag when I pulled into a gas station. I used that system one time and then purchased a small trailer. Gerry

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Gizmow is correct. You'd be better off with a small trailer.

To test the theory try loading your trunk with 400 pounds of bricks. Th average small car will ride and handle like a beached whale with that much weight aft of the rear axle, whereas a properly loaded small trailer with 2 TW's on it will put as little as 50 pounds on your bumper.

We pull both TW's with a Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) using a modified Harbor Freight trailer. Hardly know it's back there and a lot less hassle than loading them in the back of the truck.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
What he means is that with so much weight in the rear your headlights will be on the sky rather than the road.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
What he means is that with so much weight in the rear your headlights will be on the sky rather than the road.
think a see-saw with a 300 lb kid on one end.....

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I have the same type of transverse hitch carrier as Gerry, but I did have to put airbag lifters on my Tundra right away, the weight is so far behind the tires. I'm not sure you can put airbags on a Camry, and at around $285-300 installed, you are nearly to the price of a second hand trailer.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I got one of those hitch carriers awhle back. They suck! I used it on my truck so the headlight aim wasn't really the problem. Getting the bike on the hitch was a pain in the butt. Too unsteady and made me nervous with it back there. Probably will block your tail/brake lights. Get the small trailer. Much better choice!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Just put a hitch on it and get a small trailer. I think the ol hitch carrier could

Make the yota get very interesting on a downhill braking or any hard braking you would have to so. Plus it would probably be to much weight on the hitch. "need to spread it out" if you do get one well get out the video camera

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Cliff, I purchased the Triton trailer used. My memory is pretty marginal, but I think it was around $900. It is pretty much all aluminium and very light. I needed something that would be easy for me to move around the yard, manageable for my 96 Saturn SC coupe and as well, didn't rust. I am very happy, but you can certainly get a perfectly adequate trailer for a lot less. Gerry

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've been wondering how badly a TW would affect a Wrangler with one of those hitches. Heavy front end (especially with the motor I have) but short wheelbase, etc.

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
I've been wondering how badly a TW would affect a Wrangler with one of those hitches. Heavy front end (especially with the motor I have) but short wheelbase, etc.

My jeep wrangler doesn't handle the hitch carrier I have very well. Softer suspension maybe? Shorter wheelbase as you mention is part of the problem, but it also squats the rear end more than I thought it would. Can be done in a pinch. My jeep liberty with a longer wheel base handles the hitch carrier much better than the wrangler. Can't even tell I have the hitch carrier +TW when it's on my Ford F250, and that should be expected with its suspension and wheelbase.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I've had a TJ and two JK Unlimiteds . I've towed with all of them, anything over 200lbs on the tongue makes them a bit squirrelly. I looked into those carriers myself and there's no way I'd use one on any wrangler, it's just way too much weight on the rear.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unless you have a mid or full size truck, a small trailer is one of those things that you'll buy and then wonder how you ever got by without it. I have a little ford focus and bought one of the HF 4x8 fold up trailers with 12" wheels($250 off of craigslist). I've hauled kayaks, lawn mowers, lumber, and of course motorcycles (I also bought a MC chock). I can't even tell it is behind the car when it has a very light load on it. And even with a full size streetbike I hardly notice it at all. MPG doesn't suffer more than 1-2 mpg either.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I've been kicking around the idea of putting a trailer hitch (they make one for it) on my 01 prius to tow a tiny trailer and Tw on it. Would be nice to not have to take my big diesel 4x4 truck which gets 20 mpg at best for runs to Reno and other places (GF loves bingo). I like taking the TW to go explore while she's at bingo. I know they say you shouldn't tow anything with a prius but can't be any more weight then 4 people in vehicle.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I know they say you shouldn't tow anything with a prius but can't be any more weight then 4 people in vehicle.

It's not the weight, it's the wind resistance....at least not until you head up some pretty steep passes.

If you get a single bike trailer that only weighs about 250 lbs, with the TW call it 500-600, the Prius should have no problem unless you want to go 80 on the freeway all the time. I would expect the mileage to go down some 25% because the Prius is so well streamlined. Hey! Why not build a full fairing for it!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
In California its 55 mph with trailer and I would keep it at that for best gas mileage. Would be interesting to see how much is drops mpg.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a hitch carrier on my Chrysler Pacifica, love it! I also have a small trailer. If not taking tons of camping gear i always use the carrrier, loads in less than 5 minutes w/the proper straps. Never know it's there til you look in the rear view mirror.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts