TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my version of the No-Tool Seat Bolt, for trail side seat removal.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I secured them to the seat via a small braided cable that I cut to length and made eyelets for the bolts. The other end is attached to the bolt that secures the passenger hand strap that goes across the seat. (I removed the strap, but am using the bolts.). The threaded rod is just long enough to allow the wing nut to clear the brace of the frame. The wing nut, nut and washer are tacked on with a wire welder.

Project cost: About $10

Dan

·
Registered
184 Posts
very clever hklbry,the cable is a great idea .we all know how easy it is to loose thoes things if you lay them down in the dirt out on the trail somewhere.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Here is my version of the No-Tool Seat Bolt, for trail side seat removal.

View attachment 6011

View attachment 6012

View attachment 6013

I secured them to the seat via a small braided cable that I cut to length and made eyelets for the bolts. The other end is attached to the bolt that secures the passenger hand strap that goes across the seat. (I removed the strap, but am using the bolts.). The threaded rod is just long enough to allow the wing nut to clear the brace of the frame. The wing nut, nut and washer are tacked on with a wire welder.

Project cost: About $10

Dan
Perfect! I already lost one extended bolt, I'll be adding cables this weekend!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ TWrider, I don't know about other riders bolts but mine are shortened to just barely clear the bracket. Visually I would guess that if you bottomed out, you would hit the fender and frame before the edges of the tire would hit where these bolts are located.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
85 Posts
Elsewhere on this forum these tool-less seat bolts are known as MULE NUTS. Mine are identical to yours except the nuts are brazed instead of welded. I hadn't thought of the retaining cables, which I plan to employ at my earliest convenience. I've only lost one mule nut so far, but I'd rather not lose any.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hitch pin idea is probably the best choice, but I do not have a way of drilling the holes in the pins. So, I went this route.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I could use a cable for my keys , phone, wallet and the matching sock I that always seems to run away
You can rig up cables to your belt, goes around your belt so it can be slid, cut to length and attach 1 to keys, 1 to phone, 1 to wallet. The socks could be done but could hang up in the TW which would be unsafe. I would recommend lockable, retractable cords for each device for convenience.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Great job on the seat bolt. I don't weld etc. I might try some JB Weld. I bet it will hold. The cable is a great idea.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
the cables look good, but since i did my Band Bolts 6+ years ago, i haven't ever had a problem with them falling out or coming undone. they are just tightened down with a wrench, not welded JB or otherwise.

DSC_0081.jpg

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Thanks Joe, now that I've taken a snapshot of your kit, I can pick out my bolts at the local hardware store next time I go. I've been meaning to do something for a while under there.:police:
hey james,

i purchased them at orchard supply and i think for a pair it came out to $9. i'm sure you could do better prices somewhere else, but i went in with a plan in mind and was happy to find what i needed.

joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts