TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, been reading up a lot on the TW's and want to get one. Been doing some scrounging and have come up with two good possibilities locally. Even so, I have a few questions. I want to get a TW in decent shape, low miles, and would like to add a nice rack on the back, Clarke Tank, and heated grips. Once you ride with heated grips it's nearly impossible not to have them in the northern climates.

Here's what I've scrounged:
1. 2000 model with under 500 miles, like new, all stock and has OEM rack (that I'd probably sell) $2k obo

2. 1993 model with under 3k miles, a little surface rust here and there, no farkles at all, for $1200 obo.

I've been thinking I'd like a 1988-2000 model to have the kickstart already installed. Reading through some forums I see CDI units fail and are hard to come by for the 88-2000 models (perhaps that was just a snapshot in time and they are easily found now). I know the 87 models had a lot of CDI failures but I was reading through some threads where the 88-00 are failing now and parts are hard to find and expensive. Are they still hard to find?

I also have a question about the charging circuits. Can the charging system output supply enough electricity to run the headlight, taillight, charge the battery and also the heated grips? The ones I've used on 2 BMW bikes are the Symtec 36w units. Perhaps I'd need to add a switch to turn off the headlight & taillight for when using the heated grips. I haven't found the charging circuit output for the different models.

Would I be better to look for an 2001-15 for the newer charging circuit, newer CDI, then add the kickstart for ~$300?

Thanks in advance for any advice. You folks are a helpful bunch so I know you'll have advice and some humor too. :D

Thanks,
Jay Dub

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
IMO, I'd look for a 2001+ for the electrical system if you want heated grips. I have an '05 and added grips and an LED headilgit to free up some amperage for the grips and heated jacket liner. The kicker will cost you a little over $200 from Bay Area.

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts
I'm on a '98 - and converted the headlight and tail light to LED to free up some amps - but I think the bike would still struggle with heated grips

I'd say go with rbm's suggestion - it's a lot easier to add the kickstarter rather than fart about with the older style 36w electrical system. Wouldn't worry about the CDI - only the '87's are prone to fail - and replacements are available for $150 if you get unlucky on a newer model

The only other major difference between pre-2000 and post 2000 is the introduction of a CV carb - the new ones are smaller and a bit fiddly but set-up correctly and they're OK

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

The 2000 that was "like showroom new" turned out to not be quite so showroom. Not at all really so I passed on it. I'll look at the 93' soon just because of price, otherwise I'll try to look for an early 2000's model. I've got to keep the BMW rider image going....what's the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle?

THE RIDER! :eek:

Jay Dub

Reactions: Bagger

·
Registered
638 Posts
....what's the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle?

THE RIDER! :eek:

Jay Dub
LOL We have to be. BMW thinks their parts are all made of gold

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL We have to be. BMW thinks their parts are all made of gold
Yes, that's why we have the alternative parts list handy to use car parts on the bike where we can. Of course I ride older BMW bikes and don't worry about oem parts if I don't need to. My bike has a Purolator car oil filter that meets the same specs as oem, autolite spark plugs, etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would go look at a 2015 if I was you. Color scheme is awesome and dealers are always glad to have someone take a slow moving TW off their hands. Ergo you can get a really good deal from a dealer that only sells these oddball bikes because he has to.

OR you could wait for the 2016 to come out! It's going to be fuel injected! ....yeah right

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Having ridden big heavy dirt bikes with no electric start, and remembering all those times I cursed those bikes for not having one, I just do not understand the enamoration some have for a kick start on this bike. I can jump/push start it by myself, up hill, both ways, bare foot, in the snow.

Reactions: Peterb

·
Registered
736 Posts
check the classifieds on here too...a lot of us see bikes for sale and post them. One guy in the UP has a newer model for sale

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If there's something up here in the UP you want me to scope out for you let me know. I was looking for over a year and finally settled on the 2002 with 770 miles, for $2400 that you see in my icon. I let a couple of good deals get away.

I think this is hte one Tuber is talking about....http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/15304-2006-tw-200-sale-upper-peninsula-michigan.html

2006. Already has the kick start installed

Here's one that I was looking at. It's down state. I think this is the second listing for it so the guy might be willing to accept less.

http://nmi.craigslist.org/mcy/4999532275.html

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the good info.

I let a pair of them slip by near Traverse City a few weeks back. The guy wanted $1650 each or cheaper to buy the pair. IIRC one was a 98 and the other a 99. Both around 6k miles. They looked to be in pretty nice shape as he sent me detailed photos. The only thing wrong was one had a broken turn signal post (no big deal). I made arrangements to go look at them but then got cold feet because it was the beginning of my TW search. I should have just done it.

I've been looking at all the ones mentioned. Western UP is a LONG WAYS FROM the Kalamazoo area. Much of northern IL, IN, and OH are closer.

I don't want to spend much more than $1500-2000 at this point. I have the cash and could pay a lot more but it's just a toy. For you Michiganders, I don't look forward to paying the MCCA on my insurance to insure another vehicle...but I will have to if I get one. For you non-Michiganders, it's a fee tacked on to each insured road vehicle that was up to $190 per vehicle per year but I hear it's going down to around $160 per vehicle soon. Michigan has the highest vehicle insurance in the USA. I may give a bike to someone I know in another state, have them title and insure it then just borrow the bike from them indefinitely!

Jay Dub

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
"Just a toy" Jay? blasphemy! :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Actually I live in Spread Eagle, WI, just across the river from Kingsford/Iron Mountain, since about three years ago this August. I just hate admitting I'm a Cheesehead after being born and raised in Michigan most all my life.

PM me if you need some help. :devilish: You can buy insurance here by the month. Mines under $7.00 a month. That ought to help you afford that one that I linked for you.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Thanks guys for the good info.

I let a pair of them slip by near Traverse City a few weeks back. The guy wanted $1650 each or cheaper to buy the pair. IIRC one was a 98 and the other a 99. Both around 6k miles. They looked to be in pretty nice shape as he sent me detailed photos. The only thing wrong was one had a broken turn signal post (no big deal). I made arrangements to go look at them but then got cold feet because it was the beginning of my TW search. I should have just done it.

I've been looking at all the ones mentioned. Western UP is a LONG WAYS FROM the Kalamazoo area. Much of northern IL, IN, and OH are closer.

I don't want to spend much more than $1500-2000 at this point. I have the cash and could pay a lot more but it's just a toy. For you Michiganders, I don't look forward to paying the MCCA on my insurance to insure another vehicle...but I will have to if I get one. For you non-Michiganders, it's a fee tacked on to each insured road vehicle that was up to $190 per vehicle per year but I hear it's going down to around $160 per vehicle soon. Michigan has the highest vehicle insurance in the USA. I may give a bike to someone I know in another state, have them title and insure it then just borrow the bike from them indefinitely!

Jay Dub
Although I sure can understand the thought of registering and insuring the bike out of state to avoid these BS fees, I think it is a horrible idea. Anyone foolish enough to do this favor for you opens themselves to unimaginable liability should anything ever happen. Look at this from a starkly real possibility. You are driving your bike registered and insured in my name and some little kid runs out in front of you and gets killed. You can bet the parents lawyers are coming after you the driver, the insurance company and the Registered owner of the vehicle who is me or some other nice forum member willing to do you a favor and save you $160. Anyone nice enough to do this for you might as well just give you the $160 so you are on the hook all by your self!

It is a great thought but certainly not a very good plan.

GaryL

Reactions: Peterb

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know that Gary. That's why I said "I don't look forward to paying the MCCA on my insurance to insure another vehicle...but I will have to if I get one.

It is one of a few reasons why I am looking to move from Michigan however.

Jay Dub

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I know that Gary. That's why I said "I don't look forward to paying the MCCA on my insurance to insure another vehicle...but I will have to if I get one.

It is one of a few reasons why I am looking to move from Michigan however.

Jay Dub
I hear you loud and clear but if you do consider moving then be sure to pass right by this communist state of NY. We don't have that particular tax YET but as soon as our politicians get wind of such a great new source of revenue you can bet it will be here too. All of these northern states have one very common theme, there is never enough taxes.

GaryL

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No worries there Gary! I hate going to NYS and "the city" even worse. You live in a very beautiful state if you're away from NYC but I hate your firearm laws.

On a trip this January I was on the thruway and ran out of cash. I handed the toll collector my credit card and she said they don't take credit cards! What? What year is this? Anyhow, the toll booth collector said no problem, she'd copy info off my drivers license and I have 10 days (or something like that) to pay my bill online with a credit card...along with something like a $5 surcharge for the convenience! :confused:

I HATE NY but like many people in that state.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
No worries there Gary! I hate going to NYS and "the city" even worse. You live in a very beautiful state if you're away from NYC but I hate your firearm laws.

On a trip this January I was on the thruway and ran out of cash. I handed the toll collector my credit card and she said they don't take credit cards! What? What year is this? Anyhow, the toll booth collector said no problem, she'd copy info off my drivers license and I have 10 days (or something like that) to pay my bill online with a credit card...along with something like a $5 surcharge for the convenience! :confused:

I HATE NY but like many people in that state.
Yup! The beauty in NY is only skin deep but comes with high maintenance just like a gorgeous gal!

GaryL

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
736 Posts
I remember when they started that 'uninsured motorist' deal, it wasn't called mcca then in the 70's. I was paying alot for liability on older vehicles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts