TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Great example,Frank. What an iconic design that likely surprised it's creators as much as it did it's owners. I'll bet you know a fella by the name of Paul Stannard....((Strickly Hodaka ))

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ssgtrillium, that is my dads pilot knife. He served 28 years as a Navy fighter pilot, including flying a Corsair in the Korean War aboard the Valley Forge '52-53.
I put the knife and Naval Aviation decal on the bike as a kind of tribute to him.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Yes! There was a "Combat Wombat" I had a real cool patch with that name & the Hodaka logo on a shirt when I was in high school. I always thought the transmissions on the Hodaka was a kool idea, using ball bearings as detentes to hold gears, instead of shift forks & dogs...

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
Just imagine back in 1966 as a 14 year old kid who had a paper route, raked leaves, mowed lawns, shoveled driveways and I rolled in to my local Kawasaki/Hodaka dealer and bought a brand new Ace 90. I was the king of our group because they all had Honda Trail 90s and I could open up a can of Woopass on all of them. That is not meant to slam the Honda's at all. They took a major licking and kept on ticking long after I was buying pistons, rings and getting my cylinder honed. The Hodaka just was faster and way better on the trails and old RR tracks where we rode. You can be sure I about polished the chrome off the tank for the entire time I had that great little bike.

GaryL

·
Registered
422 Posts
Does anyone know the story of what happened to the company that produced Hodakas? They had amazing reputations but at least in my area = the appeared - and disappeared in a period of 5 or 6 years.
So what is the story?

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Just imagine back in 1966 as a 14 year old kid who had a paper route, raked leaves, mowed lawns, shoveled driveways and I rolled in to my local Kawasaki/Hodaka dealer and bought a brand new Ace 90. I was the king of our group because they all had Honda Trail 90s and I could open up a can of Woopass on all of them. That is not meant to slam the Honda's at all. They took a major licking and kept on ticking long after I was buying pistons, rings and getting my cylinder honed. The Hodaka just was faster and way better on the trails and old RR tracks where we rode. You can be sure I about polished the chrome off the tank for the entire time I had that great little bike.

GaryL
Hey Gary,

These may bring back some memories. Here's a sweet little Ace 100 that I picked up a few years ago.

100_2238.JPG

100_2227.JPG

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Does anyone know the story of what happened to the company that produced Hodakas? They had amazing reputations but at least in my area = the appeared - and disappeared in a period of 5 or 6 years.
So what is the story?
The Hodaka company started in 1964, and closed their doors in 1978. Short lived. I wanted a Combat Wambat in 1974 when my Dad made me a deal. Keep my grades up, and I'd get a new bike. Due to no dealers close by, and my Dad's buddy owning a large Kawasaki dealership, I got a 74 Kawasaki MC1 90. I still love that bike. Still looking to get one today. Or the KD 90 or 100. Same bike, but without lights. Hodakas were all over the magazines. Then one of my friends got a Wombat.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Does anyone know the story of what happened to the company that produced Hodakas? They had amazing reputations but at least in my area = the appeared - and disappeared in a period of 5 or 6 years. So what is the story?

Hodaka was a joint Japanese and American company that manufactured motorcycles from 1964 through 1978. Close to 150,000 motorcycles were produced within that time. Prior to 1964 Hodaka made engines for the Yamaguchi motorcycle brand.Hodaka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The History of Hodaka Motorcycles

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I like the model names......:D

Hodaka Ace 90 model 90
Hodaka Ace 100 model 92
Hodaka Ace 100B model 92B
Hodaka Ace 100B+ Model 92B+
Hodaka Ace 100 Super Rat model 93,93A and 93B
Hodaka 100 Dirt Squirt chrome tank model 96
Hodaka 100 Road Toad model 99
Hodaka 100 Super Rat model 98
Hodaka 125 Super Combat model 97
Hodaka 125 Combat Wombat model 95
Hodaka 125 Wombat chrome tank model 94 and 94A
Hodaka 175SL model 61
Hodaka Road Toad model 02
Hodaka Dirt Squirt model 01
Hodaka 250SL model 70 and 70A
Hodaka 250ED model 71
Hodaka Dirt Squirt 80 model 82

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
Hey Gary,

These may bring back some memories. Here's a sweet little Ace 100 that I picked up a few years ago.

View attachment 13364

View attachment 13365
Thanks Frank. That is very similar to the 1966 I had except for the front fender which was right above the tire and the front forks had a metal shroud over the top section. I have some old film pics of it but none are digital.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts