TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Another thing that works well for me the Seal Line water proof phone holder. I only use my phone for google Maps while exploring. One of the complaints I see on reviews is that phones get hot in enclosed cases. I don't seal it so it ventilated. When not in use it tucks out of the way. I installed a 12 volt waterproof outlet that I picked up at Wal Mart. I drilled 4 small holes and 2 tie wraps and it made for a clean install. I put one just like it on my 1993 4 wheeler back in 1993 and it still like new.
And then there's the wife worried one day when she couldn't get a hold of me. So I put the App Find My Phone on our iPad. Now she can watch me ride around. <smile>

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cool setup. My phone is not that fancy, but I do like the glasses holder. I might have to do that one.

Matthew
They are the Wileyx comes with interchangeable lenses. Clear and Tint. They have the sponge seal to keep debris out. A friend of mine at the gun shop sold them to for $65

·
Registered
648 Posts
When riding on trails with puddles, don't bother with the charging cable for the phone as having the case open invites water. I water damaged my iphone that way

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When riding on trails with puddles, don't bother with the charging cable for the phone as having the case open invites water. I water damaged my iphone that way
I always put the charger away when it's raining. I close the seal on the case if it's raining. I have also use the ear buds and just listened to the turn by turn putting my phone in my vest. It's not that often when I need the map

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
If you use an I Phone there is a great solution. Life proof makes a water proof case for it and has a handle bar mounting bracket that locks it in very secure. The charge cable can be plugged in but that does open the water seal so you should un plug in wet conditions.

Funny thing here is I have the phone, water proof case and the mounting bracket and could not be bothered even taking a phone when I get on the bike because they are pretty useless with no cell signal in the mountains.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at all those handlebar mounts. I like this keep it simple solution. I ride in Maryland and West Virginia. Fortunately AT & T has me covered now in all the areas that I travel. It wasn't always like that, just wait there will be a cell phone tower coming to a mountain near you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
This may be my next attempt at mounting my phone on the bike. I purchased the great shield clip grip bike mount from Amazon. It only lasted about 2 months. Have you tried osmand? Its not quite as nice as google maps, but you can download a few states worth of maps, and don't need to use a data connection.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I ride my TW when I am tired of talking on the phone. I take it but is turned off and in my backpack. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Here is the accessory plug I got after looking at many. It's a really nice piece, got some weight to it, not cheap made. Got it in only 4 days from Hong Kong....:D It's pretty much waterproof. It comes with tight fitting rubber boots that really attach in a way were no water can get in. It's very good quality for the price. It's MUCH nicer than I expected when I got it in my hands. Well worth getting. I reccomend it 100%....;)

Read the description. If sold, then look at buyers other items in profile, they have many.
Motor Bikes Scooter 12V Easy Mount Waterproof Cap for Apple LG Samsung HTC Phone | eBay

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What GPS app do you like? I use the free app called "Waze" which has never let me down. Just wondering what some of you are using.
I use Google Maps. What I would like to find free is a good topographical map App

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
If you guys have iphones, try searching for Waze in the itunes app store. Give the free one a try, it has a lot of features. If ya don't like it, just delete it.

Have you looked for topo maps on itunes?

·
Registered
210 Posts
View attachment 9495 View attachment 9496 View attachment 9497

Another thing that works well for me the Seal Line water proof phone holder. I only use my phone for google Maps while exploring. One of the complaints I see on reviews is that phones get hot in enclosed cases. I don't seal it so it ventilated. When not in use it tucks out of the way. I installed a 12 volt waterproof outlet that I picked up at Wal Mart. I drilled 4 small holes and 2 tie wraps and it made for a clean install. I put one just like it on my 1993 4 wheeler back in 1993 and it still like new.

And then there's the wife worried one day when she couldn't get a hold of me. So I put the App Find My Phone on our iPad. Now she can watch me ride around. <smile>

I'm curious what you drilled the 4 small holes in... Could you elaborate? I'm about to install one of these plugs and I like your setup just don't get what you drilled into.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm curious what you drilled the 4 small holes in... Could you elaborate? I'm about to install one of these plugs and I like your setup just don't get what you drilled into.
image.jpg image.jpg

If you look at the front shield just above the headlight you can see the two tie wraps. I held the outlet in place and scribed marks. Then I pushed the scribe through the plastic. I then drilled holes from the front.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
image.jpg

Better view before I trimmed the excess length off the tie wraps Another thing u may want to consider. If you notice the bottom of the plug I used the harness wrap. I picked it up at a auto parts store. It's a hard plastic spiral wrap that protects your wires from shorting out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
View attachment 9568

Better view before I trimmed the excess length off the tie wraps Another thing u may want to consider. If you notice the bottom of the plug I used the harness wrap. I picked it up at a auto parts store. It's a hard plastic spiral wrap that protects your wires from shorting out.
Thanks for the info. Nice install. I'm not sure if I feel comfortable drilling through my front shield though... Bikes got 100 miles on it. It just doesn't feel right you know

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Give it a month. If u get out there like I am it won't take u long to scratch it up a bit. You'll get that drill right out. That jacks has stainless steel spring hinges. The one on my 4 wheeler still looks and works perfect. Installed in 1993. It does stay in the Barn when not riding.

Letting other people ride it will also get it scratched up. I had a 26 year old friend of my daughters go riding with me the other day. He showed up in shorts riding his old Ninja. I ask him where is long pants was. He said he always rode in his shorts. We wound up finding some trails he knew about. He took the first ride when he returned he had crashed twice trying to climb a hill. I went back on the trails and decided to climb a different part of the hill descending the part he lost it on. His second ride when he returned he was a bit shook up with a large burn on his leg. On the descent he must have applied to much front break. It flipped over forward catching his exposed leg between the exhaust pipe and the front tire. I'm not sure how long it trapped him probable 3 to 5 seconds. It seared him pretty good. He said he was done with dirt riding that he had been riding street for four years without a crash. My bike has scratches but all is well and he is healing up pretty well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts