TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Holiday Ride Above Pyramid Lake

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 · (Edited)
Went with Adam-in-Nevada to ride above Pyramid Lake today. Nice scenery, optimal soil moisture, and some really steep hills to climb made for a fun, safe day. We dodged in and out of tribal lands but usually were exploring old mine roads on BLM land. Here is a quick video of beginning of ride through scenic landforms

#5 · (Edited)
We went through some open gates with sole advisories of Federal Laws Apply, No Hunting, No ATVs, No Grazing and that was it. Down by the lake a $9 access and $9 fishing permits are required.
The roads on Tribal Lands were mostly well graded, we saw no one, just wild mustangs, jackrabbits, crows and a hawk. Several hundred un-shod mustang prints, and many of their "road apples" convinced me that perhaps unseen horses were melting into the surrounding draws when they heard us approach.

EDIT: Here is a sample of some jamming down tribal roads in the low country, nice fast cruising..

Adam's bike accelerates a bit quicker as he and his tires weight a bit lighter than me and mine.;) We both really like our IRC Trials front tires but I have the fatter version. Adam pointed out big wear grooves in my tread blocks from the stoney mud trapped under fender, I wasn't kidding about the downside of "Mud-Lock" with the low stock front fender.

#6 ·
Adam is a lot more familiar with the area than me, I was just following him:p He said a few hills would be steep and too loose in dry summer but w had perfect moisture today.
Adam has the advantage of youth, but I have a Duro so I just passed him the times his stock rear tire would falter. I felt it really made a difference...

#7 ·
Good ride video's Fred. Some places remind me of up here. Glad we don't have below zero temperature's like they have back east. Spring fever's done sprung for me. I'd hate another cold snap but it's likely to happen. Get the riding in when we can.

#9 ·
When you say "above" the lake, do you mean north of it? Or just in the hills above it? I used to ride that area a lot back in 2002-2003 on my ATV. I had a loop that ran from south of the lake up into the hills to about 7000' or so with a killer view of the lake to the north. Back then I lived in Spanish Springs so it was an easy trip up there.

#10 ·
Rob, Closest landmarks were about five miles SW of lake off HWY 445 ( Pyramid HWY) we rode NW into Tule area and then SE of highway into the Pah Rah Range.

#11 ·
Yep that's it! I've ridden that area many times in the distant past. I'm glad to hear it's still open.

Have you been out to Dixie Valley yet? Tons of great trails and sights to see out there.

#13 ·
Those videos are great. They make me homesick for Az. Every chance you get to get on BLM land and haul ass do it. Awesome country. Thanks for the video.

#14 · (Edited)
We had a safe plan to get out of the hills by a reasonable hour and found ourselves a little ahead of our schedule. Figuring "Well, the women folk won't start worrying for another hour" we stopped to play in a sand pit getting mighty TW air-time until some MX-ers showed up and then proceeded to show us up.:eek:....that is until Adam cleared a double ledge right behind them! Good Man.
We then wandered down the wash until we cut a road to exit the area. Fun times but the sand can be a challenge. While the high country was relatively unvisited and smooth, just perfect for our meanderings unfortunately the low sandy draws had MX practice tracks with all the typical whoops and banked turns seemingly so out of the TW's comfort zone.

Note: The landings after the jumps were validating the Seal Saver job I did Sunday...no more fork oil leaking. At almost $7 for a little piece of plastic it seems rediculously overpriced until it does the job of saving a complete fork seal replacement. One simply runs the curved/hooked plastic around the fork tube between inner tube and seal pulling out offending leak inducing debris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.