TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First ride in the snow of 2016. Hey, better than sitting on the couch poking my eyes out eh? I got a late start as I broke one of my toofers and had to go to the dental mechanic for repairs. Just another burrfday gift to myself.

Carry on!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Hope it wasn't an apple or candy that caused the broken tooth...:(

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, it was diet pepsi. Took a swig, answered the phone at work (which I do occasionally) and boom, it fell out onto my desk. Didn't even have any hammers around to blame it on. Repair toof feels funny now. I'll get over it by tonight when we go out to Texas Roadhouse...for salad...not! I'm a barbarian, I eat meat, except for fish and those other slimy things which contain sand. Yuck!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That looks like great fun and I can't wait to try that with my TW too.
Where I live the trick is to get out on the road before they start salting all the roads.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks like great fun and I can't wait to try that with my TW too.
Where I live the trick is to get out on the road before they start salting all the roads.
Riding in virgin snow is fun and like you mention, got to get out there before the sanding trucks and other vehicles pack down the snow into ice.

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
Ice is not nice.
Now with a little virgin snow a fellow can really go!

Now I'm not sure whether the Duro or the Cerros might be better in light snow. Admiral's hill climb was steep and sandy, mine had a firmer base. Of course snow conditions vary tremendously with temps and moisture. Maybe I gotta make it up to Admiral's some time for a side-by-side traction test.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah, the hill was kind of steep for having snow on it. It was a bit ambitious to think I'd make it up without traction devices. Because it was so slippery out on the roads, I stood up most of the time like I would if riding through mud or sand. One has to become comfortable standing but it is the best way. We'll see what happens when I get the TWsnowmobile fabricated.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Fred, you and Admiral together alone!! we won't see you guys until spring, or when you run out of gas and have to come back

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
No worries, Lori would come find us on her pink Wilbur TW with the 12" trailer wheel conversion and matching gnarly ATV tire.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
maybe Fred, but not for a few days..... Lori's got the 12" wheel? Kris.. are you hiding some pictures from us?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had my first snow ride around the yard today:

IMG_20161217_113936070.jpg IMG_20161217_114402848.jpg IMG_20161217_113732568_HDR.jpg

Lots of fun! The stock rear tire (no chains) behaved as I predicted - it spun a bit cutting a track in fresh snow, but found decent traction in the packed snow on the next few laps. I was really impressed with the 241 up front. It did well in fresh and packed snow.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I am surprised that the 241 has snow in its tread. My MT 43 clears it. How warm out was it for that ride?

Elvesus you should check out DualSportBC, there are a few guys that put on some great rides in your area.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am surprised that the 241 has snow in its tread. My MT 43 clears it. How warm out was it for that ride?

Elvesus you should check out DualSportBC, there are a few guys that put on some great rides in your area.
It was about -3 C yesterday. It's 0 C and snowing again today so may go for another ride later to see how it behaves in wetter snow.

Thanks for the DualSportBC tip. I'll check it out.

Evening update:
Today's wet snow was a slightly different experience. Less traction with the rear tire made even mild uphill climbs harder than in the dry snow, but created good conditions for practicing my first rear wheel drifts :) The Shinko front continued to impress me with its traction and cleared snow from its tread nicely.

IMG_20161218_150546168.jpg IMG_20161218_150628052.jpg

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Merry Christmas. Indian Creek downtown Caldwell, ID last night. Have gotten about 8" of snow yesterday & overnight on top of what we already had.

While waiting for the take-out order to get done.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hey Kris, why didn't you wave. I was down there about 7pm and got my lump of coal for Christmas. Waiting all week to go to The Bird Stop because The James Gang band, which I really like, was to be playing. Got there and the lights were out and a CLOSED sign up. Got home and looked on F.B. Sometime after 6pm they posted CLOSED/CANCELLED due to weather. Bah, Humbug. Have a warm and cozy Christmas.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts