TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been working up to this for a while -- The Challenge Loop. It consists of 10 black diamond trails about 13 miles long and one is supposed to do in about an hour. It took me an hour and 28 minutes but I did make a few stops along the way, both scheduled and unscheduled. This was also the first time I have met another rider on the trail in a very long time and I pulled over to let him pass. According to my GPS the Challenge is 12.8 miles long. My moving average was just under 10 mph. All told, I had a great time and a really good work out. I look forward to doing it again -- hopefully in a little less time.

Red lines are the trails I took. The black line is just showing which trails I took, kind of an overview.

And the obligatory video. This was taken towards the end of the ride. The first 85% of the ride can be seen in other videos I have posted. In reality they all look about the same.

<span class="watch-page-link"><a target="_blank" href="http://youtu.be/nmpQGXVZxDk">

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
tony,
as usual, always jealous of your ability to ride mid week. congrats on getting your personal best time down, i have no doubt you'll break an hour.

thanks for posting

joe

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
That looks fun.

·
Super Moderator
18,169 Posts
I love those video's Tony!

Thanks.

And look at the weather!! A beautiful day for a ride!!

*:mad:unlike *@^&*(*^% Washington State right now.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Hey Tony,

We've done the three Sheetiron/Cow Mountain rides together. How does the difficulty of these black diamond trails compare to those rides? It is kind of hard to tell the level of difficulty from the videos.

Brian

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Joe, if you need a mid week day off, I have an idea!! You can SEE if it will work for you as well as it does for me. Tony, that was another great goggle cam video. Thanks.

Joemama

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks fun. Is is race or just a fun loop?
It is just a fun loop. The only racing is against the clock.

Hey Tony,

We've done the three Sheetiron/Cow Mountain rides together. How does the difficulty of these black diamond trails compare to those rides? It is kind of hard to tell the level of difficulty from the videos.

Brian
Brian, The black diamonds are more difficult. The ground can vary from asphalt like dry adobe to baby powder soft several inches deep. It can be smooth as glass or a zillion little waves. And sometimes you're riding along and all of a sudden there is a huge hole in the trail. And then sometimes there are rocks. The margin for error is small especially along trails with big drop offs on one side. All that being said, I think they are fun.

I have to add the "Renz Property" is just a small part of the park. The majority of the park has "blue square" trails which are wider, smoother and easier but still difficult enough to make you sweat. I rode all the blue trails, many of the several times, before I tried a black one. Tony

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Ok, Tony I feel a mid week cold coming on :eek: Let me know the next time you are planning on going out there to attempt. I'd love to trailer my TW down and ride it with you.
Josh

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
Nice to see dust. I had forgotten what it looked like.:p
Before your TW decided to take a rest break, I saw the trail with the poofy dust and was saying "watch out for that stuff". Well, you almost made it through it! Looks like a fun place to ride!

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have no doubt you'll break an hour.
I was thinking rather than try to go faster maybe extend loop -- start a second tour -- do eleven trails, the twelve, etc. Build stamina and endurance and let speed take care of itself.

Tony, that was another great goggle cam video. Thanks.
Joemama
Thanks Joe for the compliment.

Ok, Tony I feel a mid week cold coming on :eek: Let me know the next time you are planning on going out there to attempt. I'd love to trailer my TW down and ride it with you.
Josh
That sounds like fun! I would like to skip a week but the week of Tuesday, 2-11, through Thursday, 2-13 would be the soonest. Any Tues. through Thur. after that would be OK too, weather permitting and NOT ON A SCHOOL HOLIDAY. I went once on spring break and will never do that again. Since you are the one playing hooky you pick. Anybody else interested?

Before your TW decided to take a rest break, I saw the trail with the poofy dust and was saying "watch out for that stuff". Well, you almost made it through it!
That stretch wasn't a particularly bad one. It was towards the end of my ride and I was tired. If I had been standing on the pegs I think I would have been OK but I figured I could do it sitting and save my strength for when I really needed it. Of course I was wrong.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
tuesday the 18th? i'm in!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Tuesday 18th? Tony make it so and I'll be there. -Josh

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That isn't a school holiday, is it? If it isn't I'm good to go on Tuesday the 18th.

I hope you guys take it easy on me...............

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Is President's Day just a one day off? All the kids in all the schools will be back in class on Tuesday, right?

EDIT: Forget it. That week is winter break. I said I wasn't going during school holidays. Make it the week before winter break. I was planning on going that week anyway, the week of the 12fth.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
So Tony are you suggesting Wednesday, Feb 12th?

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So Tony are you suggesting Wednesday, Feb 12th?
The week of the 11th through 13th, weather permitting, and I just checked weather.com and the lying weathermen say there is a chance of rain.

How about this coming Wed., Feb 5. (If Tue. or Thur. is better for you I am flexible.) I know, originally I wanted to skip a week before going again but to heck with it. Wed. is supposed to be sunny all day though it is only going to be 56 degrees. If that is no good for you then lets just take our chances and go on the 12fth.

Josh, if the 18th is better for you go for it, just count me out.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
@Tony, this week is no good for me. Too much going on with work.
Next week I could, but wondering how much rain they are going to get this coming week?
Josh\

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
@Tony, this week is no good for me. Too much going on with work.
Next week I could, but wondering how much rain they are going to get this coming week?
Josh\
OK. No problem. Work comes first!! Maybe wait until the Spring with warmer, dry weather. It will be here soon.

If anyone else wants to go I will be there about 11:00 this coming Wednesday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts