TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is supposed to be in the low 70's next week at Hollister according to Weather.com 10 day forecast. I was thinking of going there for a few hours on either Tues., Wed., or Thurs., Jan. 14th, 15th, or 16th. Hopefully all the kids will be back in school and the adults back at work. If anyone else is interested in meeting up there let me know. We can ride single track and maybe give the obstacle course a try -- something I have never done -- actually something I have avoided but would at least like to take a look at.

Hollister Hills SVRA

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By some remote chance someone is considering going to Hollister with me on Tuesday, Jan.14, I have to cancel that date.

But Wed and Thursday are still possibilities with Wed. as most likely. Weather.com 5 day forecast has it at 75 degrees and sunny. Sounds to nice to pass up this time of year.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Hey Tony,

I would love to be able to go, but that pesky job of mine is always getting in the way of the more fun things!

Just curious, do you ride the TW down there or do you trailer it?

Brian

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Brian. I trailer to Hollister. It is 125 miles round trip and I am pretty tired by the time I leave there to come home. Driving the car with the A/C on and the radio blasting is nice. I have ridden the TW to Metcalf. That is less than 40 miles round trip and I usually don't last there very long so fatigue isn't a problem.

I remember when work used to get in my way. Times have changed. Tony

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to Hollister Hills OHV Park on Wednesday, 1-15-'14.

This was the first trail I rode. It is kind of my "warm up" trail as I usually ride it first. I posted a video of it a couple of years ago but thought a second look was in order.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was the last trail I rode. I had already ridden 7 black diamond trails and my arms hurt and my legs ached. After all, I am not 16 and haven't been for half a century.

I had never been down this trail before but just had to have a look. I am glad I went. I just had to slow down a little to be safe.

Hollister has a rider's challenge -- a 13.5 mile course in 1 hour. Sounds easy, right? Well, I came up short and spent 2 hours doing it. Not to worry. Next time my legs will be a little stronger and I will be a little bit better rider and I will try again. Baby steps, as Doc Wong kept saying. Take baby steps and you will get there.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Thanks for the videos Tony!

I envy you for being able to ride Hollister during the week, it looks like you've got your own personal park. Kinda sad to see everything so dry, this time of year things should be greening up with lots of mudholes.

Are those white metal gates at the trailheads new? I don't remember seeing them, but it's been a few years since I've been out there. Must be to keep the quads out?

Brian

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
I always enjoy your video's. Since riding with Ron in Boise up here, I'm learning to enjoy the trail riding alot. You seem to be riding quicker out here now than you did a few years back. Must be getting use to the trail riding thing! Just a bit anyway.:p Of course when it comes to the steep drop offs, I heed Ron's advise and keep at least one eye on the trail. Oh, and I tend to hug the high side of the hills too!:D

Sorta gave a thought to riding one of our OHV area's this Monday, but I don't think it's gonna be dry enough yet. ...and we've had lots of fog, which makes for a bummer ride. Temps are good enough though, at least for me. Hopefully next month I'll start to get some desert trail riding in.

Thanks again for the video's!

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.......not a big fan of the drop off though...
Drop offs don't bother me as long as I don't look at them -- i.e. I concentrate on the trail. Other trails have drop off and the only way to find out which ones they are is to ride them. The first time it was a BIG surprise. Scared me for sure but I made it.

Thanks for the videos Tony!

...............it looks like you've got your own personal park.............. this time of year things should be greening up with lots of mudholes.

Are those white metal gates at the trailheads new?

Brian
Brian -- That is the beauty of mid week riding as long as there isn't a school vacation. And agreed it should be green by now but on the other hand it is pleasant weather and Gov. Jerry just declared a drought so all will be well. As for those gates this is the first time I have seen them -- must be for the ATVs.

I always enjoy your video's........... You seem to be riding quicker....................when it comes to the steep drop offs, I heed Ron's advise and keep at least one eye on the trail. Oh, and I tend to hug the high side of the hills too!:D

Sorta gave a thought to riding one of our OHV area's this Monday, but I don't think it's gonna be dry enough yet. ...and we've had lots of fog, which makes for a bummer ride. Temps are good enough though, at least for me.
You and everyone else that have said thanks, you are all welcome. It is very kind of you. I wish my videos were clearer, and more stable. I am working on it.

If I am quicker blame Bikerjosh and Joeband. Those guys are tough to keep up with. As for the drop offs, I concentrate on the center of the trail. The only time I got in trouble was when I glanced to the right and I instinctively went left -- some deep seated primordial sense of self preservation briefly took over.

If the weather is this nice next week I will return to Hollister. As for your excess moisture send it to California. We need it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, thanks for your nice videos, I'm a beginning rider and owned a TW200 just several months. I rode my TW at Hollister Hills last Saturday. As a beginner, I stay on green and blue level trail so far. Can you tell me how difference between blue and black level? According to your videos, it seems no many different except black level trail is much narrower.

hope you have a nice day :)

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, thanks for your nice videos, I'm a beginning rider and owned a TW200 just several months. I rode my TW at Hollister Hills last Saturday. As a beginner, I stay on green and blue level trail so far. Can you tell me how difference between blue and black level? According to your videos, it seems no many different except black level trail is much narrower.

hope you have a nice day :)
These are black diamond trails in the Renz property part of the park. I don't know about other black trail.

No, they are not very difficult but being narrow there is less room to make a mistake. Easy and short black trails are "Lights Out" and "O K Corral". Not to long and not to hard. They are good places to start if you want to try them out first. Long trails are "Garcia Gulch", "Windmill Maze" , and "Fence Line". " Fence Line" is the easiest of the long trails. Go slow and have fun and you will make it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
These are black diamond trails in the Renz property part of the park. I don't know about other black trail.

No, they are not very difficult but being narrow there is less room to make a mistake. Easy and short black trails are "Lights Out" and "O K Corral". Not to long and not to hard. They are good places to start if you want to try them out first. Long trails are "Garcia Gulch", "Windmill Maze" , and "Fence Line". " Fence Line" is the easiest of the long trails. Go slow and have fun and you will make it.
All right, I got it, after I finish all of blue trail, I will try some easy black, Thank you so much !!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thank you Tony.

Dropoffs? DROPOFFS?!! Those reminded me of a Bill Cosby story about driving in San Francisco: '... and I get to the top of the hill, look down, and say, "WHERE IN THE HELL IS THE GROUND FOR CRYING OUT LOUD?!" '

I am not afraid of heights, nor falling -- SUDDEN STOPS TERRIFY ME. Oh well, I'd ride there. It would be a lot of fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts