TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got sensible ears, I tried to lower the noise level from my bike by packing the muffler.

The total experiment cost me 3 bucks.

I removed the muffler end. (The screw's head broke when I tried to extract it with the extractor. I drilled it and used a self taping metal screw (hex) to re-install the thing back together)

I used a pack of 3 SS sponges, the SS screen from a big flat strainer (not the one on the picture), and some SS wire, all bought at the dollar store.

Before putting it back in the muffler.

Even if the experiment was really fun to do, I was a bit disappointed with the mixed results.

At low rpm, the bike is quieter. But when you rev it, the change is not that important.

The bike is definitely quieter, but not that much. I might try using ceramic fibres packing next time. For now I'll stick with ear plugs.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
I'm starting to lose some of my hear (or so my wife and kids say) and I still wear earplugs most of the time when riding. Thanks for sharing your experiment. One doesn't know if it will work or not until we try.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
At high RPM the mechanical noise on these little boogers is nearly equal to the exhaust note.

I suspect engine shrouds like those on Gizmow's bike would help calm that down a bit.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I buy ear plugs by the box. Mechanical noise is as bad as exhaust on the road, and wind noise is worse than either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts