TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being the 'reduce-reuse-recycle' kinda guy it was only natural to mount single milk crate onto the Tw's rack. Dog #1, Sprocket, was fine riding in it with no more then a web cargo net stretched over the top of the box. Then came dog #2, Decker the white one, and he would try to exit every time he saw another mutt. Well I had a bunch of these milk crates and a piece of piano hinge so..... Well, you get the idea. It was a bitch to drill into the metal strap at the top of the crate, so hard the drill bit had to be resharpened with each hole. Finally once done I stood back and was congratulating myself on my frugal engineering brilliance when my brother-in-law stopped by. He took one look and says "Looks like something a homeless guy would make with crap he stole from in back of the grocery store." Nice, from engineering genius to homeless guy in one sentence. It works well though.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Great idea and cute dogs!

I have also re-purposed a number of similar milk crates. While I have never heard of anybody actually being prosecuted for misappropriating these crates, I usually spend a few minutes to remove or obscure the warnings and owner identifications if I plan to use these out in public view (the milk crate police don't carry guns, do they :eek: ?).

Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Remember when everyone gave Romney a hard time for having a dog in a crate on the roof of his car? I bet nobody would've said a word if he was on a bike!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Remember when everyone gave Romney a hard time for having a dog in a crate on the roof of his car? I bet nobody would've said a word if he was on a bike!
Sure they would have. Leftists bitch about everything. It is the only thing they do well.

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Those are two lucky dogs to have such a creative and caring chauffeur.
I agree, awesome on many levels.
Brian, I like your milk crate relabeling strategy, but then you are the guy with "Highway Service" Duro rear tire so I expected nothing less than your reoccurring brilliance.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think you did a great job re-purposing those blue milk crates....what a great use.
I wanted a blue milk crate but had to buy mine and I love how easy it is to just toss things in and re-attach the bungie net over the top.
Then Slideways, like you, when my cousin saw it she laughed and told me how now my bike looks like a little old lady's bike or the wicked witch from the west....kind of hurt my feelings since I really like the practicality of it. I also went with the blue and I still like it.
241.JPG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Man, when they outlaw mike crates only outlaws will have milk crates. TWs with crates are bad to the bone...:p

There is a back pad velcroed to the bottom crate but if removed the upper crate hinges around and rests on the seat giving me two places to put stuff.

A buddy liked my idea and mounted a crate on his Honda to cart his pouch around in but he covered the legal lables with relective tape. I blame him for causing escalation in the Crate War.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
The real (Borrowed) milk crates are tough as nails and made to last from some kind of durable plastic. Not sure about the ones Tractor Supply sells but I have seen others that are junk and will crack and brake quite easily.

I have a photo in the dog thread of my Brittany in her crate that I cut in half and had to extend a little for her to fit. She loves going for rides no matter which vehicle I drive.

BTW, A Cycle Rack rear rack makes mounting a crate a bunch easier and a hundred times more stable.

GaryL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh believe it! the doggies are chick magnets and work real well right up 'til I take off my full face helmet and the girls see I'm old enough to be their grandpa. :laughing6:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts