TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there folks, and merry Christmas to you all.

Just got my TW on Saturday morning, hauled it to the eastern side of the state the same day and already found out I need more cargo hauling capability. Deciding on whether to build or buy a rack and wondering what size tubing is common for these? I can make the bender and mandrels easy enough, thick wall tube isn't tough to bend without collapsing. idk. Can't justify spending the 150 to 200$ I see some of them go for. Loren.

Also didn't find where to enter in my profile other than color preferences? Weird. EDIT:: found it, data inputteded

·
Registered
503 Posts
congrats on the new ride. I believe the Cycleracks are 5/8" thick wall. I made a custom rack outta 3/4" square tubing (14ga). Just another option. TIM

·
Registered
149 Posts
I built front and rear racks out of 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings.
I was originally worried about durability, but after 10K miles of pretty heavy loads on some rugged trails, I'm pleased.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm all for DIY

if it weren't for that , we wouldn't have the aftermarket goodies to buy. Guys like Lizrdbrth, Tinman, Mr. Bracket, and the countless other TW'ers have helped pave the way for the mass produced accessories we less creative/resourceful folk enjoy. I say have at it. I attached a Rubbermaid action packer directly to my sub-frame, and have learned since then that you'll want to tie your DIY rack into something stronger than just the sub-frame. Can't wAit to see what you come up with. This is one of the many joys to be had on this forum, watching others do incredible things.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think I'm going to hit up the local ATV junk yard and see what I can get there and cut/weld into my needs. OR, I may just buy one in support of the guys that make them. So far, I like the Moose Racing rack. The others are to small or to large, I wont be hauling enough to justify the added down bars. I hope... :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some good feedback here guys, thanks. I make a bunch of things for Infiniti G20's already so making a rack probably won't be a big deal.

LoCoPerformance.com is my site, meager as it is..

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That one is .243. Part traded it's sister in .338 for the TW200. This one shoots just fine, is real handy, and being from western Oregon I like the SS aspect of it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
dogg, a good point was brought up by mcc1776. If your building your own rack, don't trust the sub-frame. Some research into the strap, that most of the racks bolt to, just behind the seat, will also bring up some failures. However you attach your rack, think it through, and go to the FRAME. PM me if you wanna see mine in detail.
TIM

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I saw that tidbit. Looks like some more figuring on a way to tie the subframe into the main frame better is in order. Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I just finished going thru the whole luggage choices thread, with one definite opinion. I don't need or want anything as big as the cycleracks at this point. If I ever get into touring or prepping from my bike then I'll look to something more substantial. I think at this point having any of the standard strength and size rear racks, along with a small front rack above the light, will do me just dandy. I'm thinking maybe even an oem rack may be fine but I have yet to see a pic of one? Loren.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you're going to build one, consider incorporating some decent attachment points for a Scabbard for that rifle. It's a major consideration for me as I want the rifle on the bike most days.

·
Registered
503 Posts
hey Tom, just curious but are things alot more 'untamed' in the central part of the state? We got a bunch of squirrels and a few stray cats, but I just run em over.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We've got Coyotes pretty bad right now, and I live right on the edge of the city. They have started attacking pets....

Where are you at Tim? I grew up in Cortland, Mom and Dad still live on the farm, just off of route 11.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Lorain county, 10miles from lake Erie. I get down your way 2-3 times a year at least. I'll keep you in mind for our next ride south. We (my brother and I) blast down to mohican st pk , early in the morning. Then do a bunch of backroadin' in that area.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts