TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rusty gas tank

I have a Honda 400 Super Sport that I picked up a while back. It is in great shape but did not run. Recently I had some time to start messing with it. After a jump pack and fresh gas it started right up but very soon sputtered and stalled. Today I took the carbs apart and cleaned them, ordered new spark plugs and started to clean out the gas tank. The carbs are now spotless but the fuel tank has rust in it and that will need to be addressed. I have seen a few home remedies such as POR and a few others. I am not sure if I should just send the tank out and have it done right or take a swing at this. Do any of you have any suggestions on rusty gas tanks?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks RBM and Old White truck. I am torn between leaving it original or sending a bunch of parts (fenders, wheels, handlebars etc) out to be powder coated gloss black.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Nice lookin machine . Hmmmm , perhaps Honda should re-introduce this to do battle with Yamaha's SR400 , competition is always good .

·
Registered
297 Posts
Try Evapo-Rust. I've used it and it works really well. Costs about $25 bucks a gallon. You can reuse it also, until it just quits working. I'd put half a gallon in and keep rotating it. After a day or two of this, dump out and redo. It'll work for you.-Glenn.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You know what I do with rusty gas tanks? I pour fuel into them.

But then again, I'm a hick. I don't buy building permits, take most of what I read on internet forums personally or seriously, or use gel in my hair. So there's that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's the way I want to go. Got rid of all the big heavy iron (Harleys, Goldwings etc). Bought a 2013 TW with 1500 miles for $2500. This will be my around town errand bike and the one I take on road trips as it fits in the back of my '02 Chevy Express van. My next move is to do the nostalgia thing starting with a nice mid 70's Honda 750. I have more fun on light, small displacement bikes than I ever have on the big cruisers. These are the bikes I grew up with. God I remember thinking how massive a CB360 was. Smaller is better or at least more fun in my book.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a '75 CB 750 and my then wife had a CB400...wish I had them back...the bikes...not the wife.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts