TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Probably your battery....as I recall, the battery serves as a sort of voltage regulator, and is an important part of the ignition circuit.
My 1974 model was a 6 volt....not 12.
I bought a non-running pair of Trail 90’s in 2014 while in Colorado. Resurrected them and sold them off. Had a lot of fun, but with tired engines and 8,000 foot elevations they did NOT make the full 8 horsepower! Ha!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Nice pair of 69's...SO jealous.!

They keep popping up on Marketplace or Craigslist, but the owners want ridiculous prices for 40 year old toys...some without registration!
I'm not going to pay close to $4000 when I got this current TW for under $3000.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Pulled the 74 CT90 outside today and it started up on 1st kick after sitting since last Oct, now I just need to finish up the 78 and two 71’s, think both 71s are ready to go just need to finish up the wiring in the headlight bucket on the 78 and that should be good to go also.

Also pulled my 01 TW200 outside and it started right up after the long winter nap, KLR started right up too so I’m ready for the summer.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Picked up this 69.5 yesterday for 400. Needs some of the spare parts I already have. In really nice shape. Didnt have a way to get it home so just lifted it up and tied it to the back of the Subaru. Proper wasilla style! That makes three of them for me.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 69 is a rare bike and That front fender is selling for more than what you paid!
I didn’t say worth cuz this current stimulated bubblicous frenzy will end and I hope to see a LOT of low smileage toys for sale
The air filter housing is a rare $200 too and unfortunately so is the headlight and frame cover but the rest looks unmolested original. Somebody on the net is freaking out seeing rope across that seat with the rare chrome trim and even ripped if it says Honda cross the back, crazy money.
If you just want a trail bike, find the buyer and sell the rare seat, air box and fender and replace with clones from dr.atv, it would pay for the rebuilding.

The one I rebuilt had an interesting issue, the mechanical timing advance springs had sacked out (guessing it was sitting on the hi spot of the lobe for 20yrs) Couldn’t source them OEM or McCarr/online. Ran real bad so I retempered em using a lighter, pliers and a quick oil quench and it worked!
Also a more common 6v problem was I couldn’t throw a charge until I replaced the original. rectifier.
My 90 will start with a dead battery, I did it for a long time before swapping regs. I saw the dead neutral light and taillight would barely glow while kicking (but never starting ) so I swapped lamps to led and it now starts completely dead (no neutral light lit) I use to “know” that you need a good strong battery or it won’t start, now I know I don’t know so much.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The 69 is a rare bike and That front fender is selling for more than what you paid!
I didn’t say worth cuz this current stimulated bubblicous frenzy will end and I hope to see a LOT of low smileage toys for sale
The air filter housing is a rare $200 too and unfortunately so is the headlight and frame cover but the rest looks unmolested original. Somebody on the net is freaking out seeing rope across that seat with the rare chrome trim and even ripped if it says Honda cross the back, crazy money.
If you just want a trail bike, find the buyer and sell the rare seat, air box and fender and replace with clones from dr.atv, it would pay for the rebuilding.

The one I rebuilt had an interesting issue, the mechanical timing advance springs had sacked out (guessing it was sitting on the hi spot of the lobe for 20yrs) Couldn’t source them OEM or McCarr/online. Ran real bad so I retempered em using a lighter, pliers and a quick oil quench and it worked!
Also a more common 6v problem was I couldn’t throw a charge until I replaced the original. rectifier.
My 90 will start with a dead battery, I did it for a long time before swapping regs. I saw the dead neutral light and taillight would barely glow while kicking (but never starting ) so I swapped lamps to led and it now starts completely dead (no neutral light lit) I use to “know” that you need a good strong battery or it won’t start, now I know I don’t know so much.
Fascinating. Had no idea it was that rare. Its actually really in pretty good shape for the age.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yep there’s a lot of ct90 K1 parts that are unique for 6 months but more importantly,
has the entire world gone insane?
$200 air filter housing and 25 buck decals

You can’t find a K1 fender but you can get the reflector for $125 in case you break yours or just wanna carry a spare

This isn’t going to end happily ever after, I’m seeing inflationary prices on everything from ammo to welding supplies

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yep there’s a lot of ct90 K1 parts that are unique for 6 months but more importantly,
has the entire world gone insane?
$200 air filter housing and 25 buck decals

View attachment 214449

You can’t find a K1 fender but you can get the reflector for $125 in case you break yours or just wanna carry a spare
View attachment 214450
This isn’t going to end happily ever after, I’m seeing inflationary prices on everything from ammo to welding supplies
Yes sir the world has gone In sane and inflation is crazy. There was a good article about Warren buffet commdnting on inflation maybe in nypost or something. People forget how terrible it is since we havent had it for a very long time. Its actually terrifying.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I started ranting and it ruined my karma. Yesterday riding the 90 I lo$t the battery $ide cover. I turned back and luckily found it. I just moved to Arizona, it’s much slower here and I can street ride the 90. Had this happened in SoCal I might have found some bits of red plastic.
glad it wasn’t profane ranting, karma would have never let me find it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
All things come to those who wait...i guess sometimes you just have to wait long enough and be "in the right place at the right time".
Today was an example of that as I checked Craigslist when I came in after mowing the lawn...lo and behold, there is a 1974 CT90 listed in my town.
Called the fellow up and indeed, it was still available...so I made a date to look at it tonight.
It's actually a 1975 model, in great shape with all functioning turn signals AND spare gerry can. Seat upholstery is in good shape...started on the first kick.
Seller took $150 less than asking price, and we closed the deal.

So now...I am back to where I was 10 years ago...with a TW200 and a CT90 in my garage. Life is good.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts