TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a nice 1970 CT 90 I plan to get running over this winter. Pretty decent condition but needs some TLC just like I do on all the TWs I pick up.

I do all that I can here helping guys and gals who have TW questions but I know very little about the small Hondas and need some help, parts and guidance and I know we have some members who can help me.

This one has the dual range tranny and does not appear to have been abused but I do need an ignition switch and key because the PO destroyed the one on it having lost the key.

Hoping some of you guys might have some parts and advice for me.

IMG_1243.JPG

GaryL

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
nice find! just a hint on those little hondas, you will never get your investment back if you go overboard in repairs. i just finished a 1981 ct110 and i will loss about $1000 on it when selling it. so screw them, i'll keep it. for the lock and key, i found a place called 4 into 1, which have great prices and cheap shipping. DRATV has a great stock of parts for these bikes, but their shipping is killing me now

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like you found a nice one!

Thanks Brian. I would not have bought it if it was hammered so this should be a fun project. I did just find the ignition switch and key on Ebay for $14 shipped but coming from Thailand so will likely be a while. It has no kick stand and I can't see where it would have been any way. Just something to keep me busy and as Grewen mentions, just like with TWs, it is real easy to go way overboard and be well above what these are worth in the end.

GaryL

·
Registered
438 Posts
It has no kick stand and I can't see where it would have been any way.
The earlier models came with a center stand that attaches to the bracket on bottom, below the swing arm pivot. Later models also had a side stand that attached to the foot peg mount.

I rode a '69 for 25 years, and I wish I still had it! I installed a foot peg mount and side stand from a later model, and it worked great!

You've got a good looking Trail 90 there, most of the older ones are pretty beat up.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, you can pull the wires out of the ignition switch and plug them together if you want to run it before the new switch arrives. ;)
Thanks CJ. That is the easy part jumping the switch but first things first and I must follow my own instructions "How to bring a sitting bike back" before I even attempt to fire it up.

You are right in the kick stand appears to have been welded to the front peg bracket but just a broke off weld there now. Did some have both side and center stands?

GaryL

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Thanks CJ. That is the easy part jumping the switch but first things first and I must follow my own instructions "How to bring a sitting bike back" before I even attempt to fire it up.

You are right in the kick stand appears to have been welded to the front peg bracket but just a broke off weld there now. Did some have both side and center stands?

GaryL
I had a couple of 1969's that had both side stands and center stands.

100_2669.JPG

I also had a 1974 that had both.

1974 Honda CT90 - Left Side.jpg

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was pretty CJ!

GaryL

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have three of them here and various parts and pieces ,if you are stuck ,I probably have what you need ,but I have no ignitions with keys .
Someone said earlier that they would of had to take a $1000.00 loss to sell theirs ,then they paid too much for it initially .I tend to profit $1500.00 on trail 90's and 110's ,and generally have a waiting list for them .

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice Bruce! I am just beginning to go through this project and have already found and posted a few issues I will be seeking parts for. It actually does not need all that much so far as I have gotten. I think the air box may have been cut some where the carb boot attaches and I know for sure the filter cage inside is not the correct one for this bike. The carb is new but not the same as the original one that I also got. I am in no rush to try firing it up until I do my job going through all the standard sitting bike check points and clean the tank. I have the little buddy seat but there probably is some brackets to attach it to the rack that I don't have. The wood seat bottom does have 4 Tee nuts but there are no matching holes in the rear rack so must be a bracket I need. The tab that holds the main air box to the frame is broken but I think I can fix it. The original Paint is nice enough to just clean up and wax but leave original. Just lots of little stuff and a lot of rubbing and cleaning until I do get it fired and see how it runs and shifts.

I think the tires are original and they are shot from weather. Both say Yokohama 602 in size 2.75 X 17.

GaryL

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have never even ridden a Ct90/110 but I love them. Dual range transmission, large factory rack, auxiliary gas tank and simple as a hammer. The kind of stuff we will never see again in our life time.
True enough. Honda had the American trail bike market wrapped up for more than 25 years (between the 55, the 90, and the 110), and then in 1986 apparently they thought there was no more money in it.

In 1987, Yamaha introduced the TW200, and has held that market for another 30 years!

We can add luggage racks and extra fuel to our TWs... but how cool would it be to have a low-range gearbox?!?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Have had 3 CT-90's. Really found them to be a super around town errand machine. 'Suspension' is just to harsh in the rough and the small tires don't help much. Did lots of work on my last one and found Dr. Atv to be a great vendor that had most everything. On the last unit I had to order a connecting rod from Thailand and send the crank to Wisconsin to have the new rod pressed on. Have fun and give the vendor a try. ...
http://dratv.com/ Think it is also called Beatrice Cycle.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have never even ridden a Ct90/110 but I love them. Dual range transmission, large factory rack, auxiliary gas tank and simple as a hammer. The kind of stuff we will never see again in our life time.
Back when I first started ridding MCs after the mini bikes all the rich kids in my town had CT 90 or Honda trail 90s as we called them. I had a Hodaka Ace 90. I could easily beat the snot out of them but in all honesty the trail 90s took a licking and kept on ticking while I was always fixing. They were such a simple bike to ride but lacked the power of the 2 stroke and the traction of the big knobby tires I had on the Hodaka. I do see a lot of these trail 90s here because people had them at all the camp grounds. Just like our TWs they have a cult following these days.

GaryL

·
Registered
209 Posts
Back when I first started ridding MCs after the mini bikes all the rich kids in my town had CT 90 or Honda trail 90s as we called them. I had a Hodaka Ace 90. I could easily beat the snot out of them but in all honesty the trail 90s took a licking and kept on ticking while I was always fixing. They were such a simple bike to ride but lacked the power of the 2 stroke and the traction of the big knobby tires I had on the Hodaka. I do see a lot of these trail 90s here because people had them at all the camp grounds. Just like our TWs they have a cult following these days.

GaryL
Don't forget the CT70s. That was the model all the 14 yo kids in my neighborhood wanted because the rated 4.9 HP, was just under the 5hp limit and at 14 we could get a "motor driven cycle" license. The older kids had the 90s and 110s. Most all the morning newspaper carriers had either 70s 90s or 110s. We graduated to Hodaka rats Japanese "mx" two strokes, and cb350s. Ah those days were so uncomplicated. Of course we didn't realize it then why would we? We were kids. Lol
#GYG

'13 TW200

A.T.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts